Blue Ant


In April 2006, the CRTC  granted a licence to John S. Panikkar to launch AHD, a digital HD specialty channel.

The channel launched on September 5, 2006 as Rush HD. Panikkar had licensed  access to the programming of  Rainbow Media, original owners of what had been Vroom HD Networks, who owned Rush HD in the United States.

 Rush HD originally broadcast programming featuring extreme sports such as snowboarding, windsurfing, and bungee jumping. The channel was rebranded radX on August 23, 2010, and the new schedule was expanded to include a broader range of  programming such as feature films.

On December 21, 2011, radX’s parent company, High Fidelity HDTV, announced that Blue Ant Media, had offered to purchase the company outright, subject to CRTC approval. Initially, Blue Ant would  purchase 29.9% of the company, and would pick up the remaining 70.1% once CRTC approval had been obtained.  This approval was received on July 16th 2012.

In 2017, radX was rebranded as BBC Earth.

Ownership: Blue Ant

Start Year: 2013