CHEF-AM, Granby, Les Journaux Trans-Canada / Left the air.
|CHEF-AM||1996||1450||5,000/1,000||Les Journaux Trans-Canada / Left the air.|
|CHEF-AM||1986||1450||5,000/1,000||Les Journaux Trans-Canada|
|CHEF-AM||1984||1450||5,000/200||Les Journaux Trans-Canada|
|CHEF-AM||1960||1450||1,000/250||Les Journaux Trans-Canada|
|CHEF-AM||1958||1450||250||Les Journaux Trans-Canada|
|CHEF-AM||1946||1450||250||La Cie de Radiodiffusion de Granby Ltee.|
Granby Mayor Horace Bolvin announced his community was to have a new radio station and a new newspaper. The radio station would have the call sign CHEF, and was expected to commence operations with 250 watts of power in December. Jacques Thivierge, former lieutenant in the Canadian Army, would be general manager of CHEF, which he hoped to open in February of 1946. He was the son of Narcisse Thivierge of CHRC in Quebec. His background includes that of operator-announcer at CHRC and French program director at CKSO in Sudbury, Ontario.
CHEF signed on the air March 14. It broadcast on a frequency of 1450 kHz with a power of 250 watts. The station was owned by La Cie de Radiodiffusion de Granby Ltee (Granby Broadcasting Co. Ltd.) and studios were at 7 Johnson Street. J. O. Hains was the largest shareholder. Jacques Thivierge was the general manager. CHEF was on the air daily from 6:00 a.m. to midnight (to 1 a.m. on Saturdays). It started its broaedcast day earlier than any other Quebec station. The first live talent of the day (Roland Tetreault and his songs) came on the air at 6:15 a.m. An ad for the station said that CHEF had no network affiliation and it was the first real community station of the Eastern Townships. The ad also noted that CHEF was live and local for three hours a day. CHEF’s slogan: The Radio “Chef” of the Eastern Townships. It should be noted that an ad for the station shows them operating on 1200 kHz. CKAC manager Phil Lalonde was among those on hand for the opening of CHEF. Local news and local service were the main theme at CHEF. The station was owned by the Granby Broadcasting Co. The station had a staff of about 15. Local news coverage was assured by arrangements with the local and regional newspapers and by a group of CHEF special correspondents spread throughout the coverage area. CHEF used the lastest Northern Electric equipment at both the studio and transmitter site. The station had its own music library, supplemented by World Transcription Services.
Al d’Eon joined CHEF for bilingual announce duties. CHEF 1200 was assigned the frequency of 1450 kHz permanently.
G. Laliberte was manager.
In the past, the CBC Board approved the formation of a second French radio network – the French Radio Association Ltd. The six stations in the network were now (late 1950) broadcasting commercials for a dozen national sponsors. The stations were CKVL Verdun, CKCV Quebec, CHLT Sherbrooke, CHEF Granby, CJSO Sorel and CHLN Trois-Rivieres. There were also two supplementary stations – CHRL Roberval and CHGB La Pocatiere. The network signed its first commercial contract in October of 1948. In 1949, the group broadcast 44 hours of commercial programming and 132 1/2 hours of sustaining programs.
CHEF became a member of the C.A.B. Approval was given for the transfer 9,000 common and 120 preferred shares and for the issuance of 120 preferred shares.
CHEF 1450 still has a power of 250 watts and operates as an independent with no network affiliation. J. O. Hains owns 100% of La Cie de Radiodiffusion de Granby Ltee. CHEF was a member of the French Radio Association. J. Ambroise Comeau was manager of CHEF. An ad promoted the fact that “CHEF Granby, the gateway to the Eastern Townships, was under new ownership and management”.
The CBC Board of Governors recommended for approval the change of ownership of CHEF from La Cie de Radio-diffusion de Granby Ltee to LaVoix de l’Est. Ltee. The Board said it would watch for further improvements in programming. Paul Lessard was an announcer at CHEF. Les Journaux Trans-Canada purchased the station.
Power increased to 1,000 watts day. Night power remained 250 watts.
The owner was listed as La Voix de l’Est Ltee. Aime Laurion was president and J. Henri Champagne manager.
CHEF and daily newspaper La Voix de L’Est were purchased by La Societe Communica, headed by Jacques Brillant, owner of CJBR-AM-TV Rimouski.
Henri Champagne was general manager.
On March 25, CHEF 1450 was authorized to increase daytime power from 1,000 to 10,000 watts. Night power would remain 250 watts. The signal would go from omnidirectional day and night to directional during the day and a new transmitter site would be used for the daytime operation. On the same date, La Voix de l’Est Ltee was given approval to transfer 2,996 common voting, 55 preferred non-voting and 3,766 preferred non-voting shares, resulting in Les Journaux Trans-Canada Ltee holding 2,990 common voting, 3,495 preferred non-voting and 6 preferred non-voting shares. On October 16, CHEF was authorized to operate from a new night-time transmitter site.
On January 4, La Voix de l’Est Ltee was granted the following technical change for CHEF 1450 – from 10,000 watts day and 250 watts night (non-directional, night) with two different transmitter sites to 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night (directional day and night) using a single transmitter site.
CHEF was given approval to increase night-time power from 5,000 to 20,000 watts.
The station was granted a power decrease, from 20,000 to 10,000 watts.
On January 19, CHEF left the air due to financial problems. The CRTC revoked the licence on February 28 at the licensee’s request. The owner was Les Journaux Trans-Canada (1982) inc. (indirectly controlled by Power Cop.). In the end CHEF had operated with 10,000 watts on 1450 kHz.
A cooperative formed by former CHEF staff members received a licence for a new FM station at Granby. It would broadcast on 104.9 MHz with an effective radiated power of 200 watts. Granby had been without a radio station since CHEF went off the air.
The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.