CKLW-AM, AM 800, Windsor

Bell Media Inc.

CKLW-AM199380050,000CHUM Ltd.
CKLW-AM198880050,000Amicus Broadcasting Ltd. (CUC buys 100%)
CKLW-AM198680050,000Amicus Broadcasting Ltd. (CUC & partners)
CKLW-AM198580050,000Russwood Broadcasting Ltd. (CUC & partners)
CKLW-AM198480050,000Russwood Broadcasting Ltd. (Baton Broadcasting)
CKLW-AM197080050,000CKLW Radio Broadcasting Ltd. (Baton)
CKLW-AM196380050,000Western Ontario Broadcasting: RKO buys 100%
CKLW-AM195680050,000Western Ontario Broadcasting: RKO takes control
CKLW-AM194980050,000Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd.
CKLW-AM19418005,000Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd.
CKLW-AM193410305,000Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd.
CKLW-AM19338405,000Western Ontario Broadcasting London Free Press
CKOK-AM19325401,000Group of Windsor Businessmen


A group of Windsor businessmen headed by Malcolm Campbell formed Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. and put radio station CKOK on the air on June 2. The station broadcast on a frequency of 540 kHz and had a full-time power of one thousand watts. CKOK was a basic station for the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS). The sales manager was Joseph E. (Ted) Campeau, who would later become General Manager of CKLW-AM.

George E. McCurdy joined the station for its launch in June, as a transmitter technician.


CKOK moved from 540 kHz to 840 kHz and increased power from 1,000 watts to 5,000 watts.
On November 6, CKOK Windsor and CJGC London merged to form CKLW. The “LW” in the call sign stood for London-Windsor.

George B. Storer was president of CKLW. Steve Douglas joined CKLW from CKOC Hamilton.


The London Free Press (CJGC) pulled out of the CKLW partnership. Its station went on to become CFPL. The CKLW call sign was retained by Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd.

CKLW switched frequency to 1030 kHz on September 1. Power remained at 5,000 watts.

Alan Savage joined CKLW as announcer-producer from CKTB in St. Catharines. He left later in the year for CKCL Toronto.


Engineer Ed Knight left CKLW for WJJD Chicago. George Storer was listed as operator of CKLW, WSPD (Toledo) and WWVA (Wheeling). CKLW announcer Larry Gentile left for WJBK Detroit.

Pending receipt of word from the CRBC, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission granted to the MBS (Mutual Broadcasting System) temporary authority until October 31 to transmit its programs to CKLW. Complications had developed just prior to CKLW’s inaugural on MBS October 1 because of an adverse recommendation from the FCC Engineering Department. CKLW, as a CBS outlet until the first of October, had authority from the FCC for reception of that network’s programs, but MBS had to apply in its own right for its affiliation with CKLW.
On November 19, the FCC authorized MBS to exchange programs with CKLW for a six month period from December 1. CKLW joined Mutual on September 24 due to a shift in NBC and CBS outlets in Detroit, and MBS since then had been feeding its network programs to CKLW under temporary authority. The Mutual Broadcasting System was a fairly new network, formed by WOR in New York and WGN in Chicago.


Studios moved to the Guaranty Trust Building.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation was formed in November to replace the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission. In addition to its Mutual affiliation, CKLW was now the Windsor CBC affiliate.

Mac McCurdy joined CKLW, beginning his radio career.


Mac McCurdy left CKLW for CJIC in Sault Ste. Marie.


CKLW was expected to replace CBW Windsor as a basic commercial CBC station in February. CBW was to become an outlet for sustaining CBC programs and may be reduced to a 100 watt operation.
CKLW opened a Chicago sales office at 360 North Michigan Avenue with George Roesler in charge.

WXYZ Detroit filed a complaint with the CBC against the action of CKLW, because the Windsor station identified itself as a “Windsor-Detroit” station. In a letter to the Canadian authority on January 28, counsel for WXYZ stated it had been brought to their attention that CKLW was describing itself as “CKLW, Windsor-Detroit,” in its advertising. “In view of the fact that CKLW is not a Detroit station,” the letter stated, “it occurs to us that you may wish to take some action to correct their advertising.” In a reply dated February 1, H. M. Stovin, supervisor of station relations of the CBC, expressed thanks for having the matter brought to its attention.

J. E. Campeau was promoted from station manager to vice president and general manager. Gordon Castle was named production manager of CKLW. He had been with WJR Detroit. Frank Ryan was now manager. Philip A. Fus was named CKLW eastern sales rep. He had been with WMCA sales in New York City and had previously established CKLW offices in New York City’s Rockefeller Plaza. M. W. Kempthorne was named secretary-treasurer of CKLW. Willard C. Webster joined the CKLW sales staff. Don Sims, formerly of CJIC Sault Ste. Marie joined CKLW to replace Bruce Chick who resigned to take over management of the Hotel Lincoln in Windsor. Harry H. Packard, formerly of CKLW was now with KFEQ St. Joseph, MO. John Stinson, formerly of CKLW, was now at WJR Detroit. Frank Burke, Jimmie Stevenson and Larry Gentile were at CKLW (Gentile had worked in Detroit for a time). Jack White was a sportscaster. CKLW closed its New York City office headed by Phil Fuss as the station changed to a national sales rep firm in the U.S.

CKLW installed Presto recording equipment. For the record at this time, the station was operating studios in both Windsor and Detroit.

WJBK Detroit protested to the Federal Communications Commission that CKLW’s affiliation with Mutual was unfair competition.


Cam Ritchie was traffic manager. Eleanore Cunliffe was in the accounting department. Former CKLW general manager Arch Shawd, was now executive vice president of WTOL in Toledo, OH. Frank (Bud) Lynch joined the announcing staff of CKLW from CKOC Hamilton. Val Clare was a news editor. Former CKLW promotion manager Herb Gilleland was now with WTOL Toledo. Bill Carter was chief engineer. Jerry DuMahaut was commercial manager. Bruce Hamilton Chick rejoined the CKLW announcing staff. Don Sims was in the continuity department. Dennis Robinson and Alex Thompson joined CKLW as studio and transmitter engineer respectively. Frank Merrifield was on the engineering staff.

Ad slogan: You’ll finish “in the money” if you tell your story over CKLW (5000 watts day and night, 1030 kc, cleared channel) 2nd in power in Detroit area.

J. E. Rogers was named president of Rogers Broadcasting Co., owners of CFRB and CKLW, succeeding his brother E. S. Rogers, who died May 6. Mr. Rogers also succeeded his brother as president of the Rogers-Majestic Corp., parent company of all the Rogers interests in radio and tube and set manufacturing.


Some CKLW employees had troubles at the Canada-U.S. border when the Americans placed passport regulations into effect on July 1. The passport and visa difficulties subsided and station employees were able to commute between the two countries again, without difficulty.

George McCurdy left CKLW for Roy Thompson’s group of radio stations. (In 1948 he would start McCurdy Radio Industries which would become a major supplier of audio equipment to broadcasters). Capt. Douglas Aitcheson, studio engineer; Second Lt. Campbell Ritchie, traffic manager, and Second Lt. Budd Lynch, sports announcer, were in camp two weeks near London (ON), with the second Battalion of the Essex Scottish Regiment. James Van Kuren, announcer and Raymond Laferet, secretary, joined the Essex Regiment (Tank), for home defence training. Donald L. Sims, continuity writer and staff announcer left CKLW October 1 to become manager of WMSL in Decatur, Alabama. Bobby David, orchestra leader and later with CKLW, and Larry Marino, at one time with CKLW, were now both at WMAL Washington, D.C. Arnold Stinson joined CKLW’s announcing staff from CHML Hamilton. Bruce Chick, newscaster and announcer at CKLW became head of continuity on October 1, succeeding Don Sims. Frank Burke was named in charge of CKLW promotion. Robert Henderson joined the CKLW engineering staff on December 16. He had been with the CBC’s network engineering department in Toronto. Betty Riopelle joined CKLW’s Detroit office. As of December, CKLW had a staff of 50.


Ad: In the Detroit area it’s CKLW – 5,000 watts day and night – clear channel.

Under the Havana Treaty, CKLW would move from 1030 to 800 kHz and continue to have a power of 5,000 watts. It would be a Class II station. Related ads: In the middle of the dial 800 k.c. Our new wave-length after April 1. CKLW. We’re moving from 1030 K.C. to 800 K.C. April first, giving advertisers in the DETROIT MARKET even greater coverage and a bigger buy than ever! No rate increase! 5000 watts day and night – Mutual System. / In the middle of the dial 800 k.c. After April 1st…CKLW gains GREATER coverage of the DETROIT AREA! To old listeners, and thousands of new ones, CKLW at 800 K. C. will offer the finest reception in the market. To advertisers, it offers new impacts for sales messages…a stronger, clearer voice…greater coverage of a great market, at no rate increase! CKLW – 5,000 watts day and night. Mutual Broadcasting System.

On March 29, many radio stations across North America had to change dial position under the Havana Treaty. CKLW was one of those stations. It moved from 1030 kHz to 800 kHz. Power remained 5,000 watts. Related print ad: CKLW at 800 kc. now offers: 25% increase in our 500 microvolt contour line. 33% greater than under our old frequency. Total population in CKLW’s primary area at 800 kc. … 8,063,520. 33% greater than under our old frequency. Total radio families… 2,211,523. 35% greater than under our old frequency. Retail buying power ……. $2,659,646,000. 22% greater than under our old frequency.

Arnold Stinson was an announcer. Raymond Laforest, inter-office secretary, was called to active service. He was replaced at CKLW by Bud Hayden (already on staff). Lt. Frank Lynch, CKLW announcer, was back at the station after a short training course with his regiment. Myrtle Labbitt was women’s commentator. I. Jerome DuMahaut was commercial manager. Nine years with CKLW were celebrated by “Happy” Joe Gentile, conductor of the station’s Early Morning Frolic, with leaders of Detroit’s sports and entertainment fields attending a special breakfast. His brother Larry Gentile, hosted the Dawn Patrol on CKLW. Don Fletcher, transmitter technician at CKLW, accepted a similar position at CBL Toronto.

CKLW added a second station wagon. One was based in Detroit and the other in Windsor.

Ad: WHY does CKLW’s 800 KC. make this station the stand-out buy in the Detroit area? BECAUSE CKLW’s increased coverage now reaches over 8 million people — 35% more radio families than last year. All this, at no rate increase! CKLW – 5,000 watts day and night – Clear Channel – Mutual Broadcasting System.

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network’s first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate – CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network – outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth.


Arnold Stinson was an announcer at CKLW. The departure of announcer Budd Lynch to the Canadian Army meant a shift of some duties at CKLW. Frank Burke took over the post of publicity director and Hal Lawrence, formerly of Hamilton, joined the station as announcer, with some newscasting duties.

CKLW was on the air 22 hours a day.


J. E. “Ted” Campeau, managing director of CKLW, was elected to the board of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters. At this time, Campeau was also a vice president of the Mutual Broadcasting System – the U.S. network of which CKLW was an affiliate. It was still a CBC station as well.

Joe Gentile and Ralph Binge hosted a daily program over CKLW.

Standard Radio Ltd., the holding company for CKLW and for Toronto’s CFRB, reported a profit for 1942-43.


On January 1, the CBC formed a second English network, The Dominion. CKLW became an affiliate of the new service. The new network consisted of privately owned stations except for the flagship – CJBC in Toronto. The Trans-Canada network was made up mostly of CBC owned and operated stations.

Val Clarke was CKLW’s news editor. Norman Palmer joined CKLW’s announce staff from CKGB Timmins.


CBC Trans-Canada Supplementary stations: CKCV, CKOC, CKLW, CJIC, CKCK, CFAR, CFGP, CKLN Nelson. CBC Dominion Supplementary Stations: CKCV, CKTB, CHML, CKLW, CKPC, CKCR, CKNX, CJCS, CFOS.
Steve LeSueur (Steve Douglas, on-air) and Bernie Yuffy were now with the RCAF. Cam Ritchie was now with the Army. Frank Burke (announcer) was at CKLW. Myrtle Labbit hosted “Home Chats” on CKLW. Frank (Budd) Lynch became CKLW’s director of public relations and special events. Larry Gentile was “pilot” of CKLW’s original “Dawn Patrol” and entertained listeners from midnight into the wee hours of the morning. Joe Gentile and Ralph Binge hosted the station’s morning show (6-9 a.m.). Val Clare was CKLW’s veteran news editor.


Gordon Allen was Canada’s first sightless announcer, hosting the 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. programming on CKLW. During these hours he read the weather, public service announcements and commercials. From midnight to 4 a.m. Allen helped Larry Gentile donduct the “Dawn Patrol” show, a program of recorded music with commercials.

Major Frank “Budd” Lynch was special events director. He was later sports editor. Margaret Pratt was in commercial time sales. Doug Wilton was chief studio engineer. Frank Burke was an announcer. Jim Van Kuren was assistant news editor. Cliff Hopkins was a newsman. Myrtle Labbitt was the station’s women’s page editor. Mary Morgan was fashion editor.
Managing director J.E. Campeau selected S. Campbell (“Cam”) Ritchie to be CKLW’s new director of programs and production. Cam entered radio at age 19 in 1934 as a baritone soloist. He joined CKLW in 1936 and since then has been an announcer, continuity director, traffic manager and producer. Between 1942 and 1944, he served with the Canadian Army. After that, Cam produced programs for the Allied Expeditionary Forces Program. He was Major in charge of this service until its termination in February, 1946. Ritchie was honourably discharged on May 1.

A deadly tornado hit Windsor on the night of June 17. CKLW found itself as the only means of keeping a chaotic city informed. At 6:20 p.m. the power went out and CKLW was forced off the air briefly until battery operated equipment could be put into operation. Still without electricity, CKLW was able to offer material to the Mutual Broadcasting System after 10 p.m. The telegraph lines east of the city had been disrupted so the station was unable to feed anything to the CBC. There was still no power the following day and CKLW was still without outside news services. At 11:55 a.m., the station was finally able to feed a news report to the CBC using a special receiver which picked up CKLW’s signal in Chatham and relayed it to network lines. During 24 hours when no other programming was available, staff pianists Wally Townsend and Gordon Fleming kept the audience entertained with 15 hastily prepared instrumental programs. Three days after the event, CKLW’s transmitter was still operating on locally generated power.

Bruce Chick was an announcer. Jim Van Kuren did news. Former CJAD chief announcer Terrence O’Dell joined the CKLW staff. Mary Morgan was fashion editor.


The studios were on the 10th floor of the Guaranty Trust Building. The operating schedule for CKLW: 5:30 a.m. to 4 a.m., daily.

Slogan: The Good Neighbour Station.

W. Carter was commercial manager.
J.E. Campeau, managing director of CKLW, was named president of the Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (Windsor) and Essex Broadcasters Inc. (Detroit). He succeeded the late Malcolm G. Campbell. Until the appointment was made, Campeau had been vice president of both companies.

CKLW was issued an FM licence.

CKLW applied for 50,000 watts on 800 kHz, directional. In December the application was deferred to provide an opportunity for further study including consideration of the technical factors involved.


Terrence O’Dell was in the news department. W. Carter was sales manager.

In January, the CBC Board again deferred CKLW’s application for 50,000 watt operation. When the application was last deferred, it was so the board could conduct further study, including consideration of the technical factors involved. The applicant failed to supply any new information for the board’s meeting.
In March the CBC recommended for approval, CKLW’s application for operation at 50,000 watts. It would be the third private station in Canada to have 50 kW authorization (after CFRB Toronto and CKAC Montreal).

CKLW applied for an FM licence. The application was approved – for 250 watts, pending implementation of their authorized 3,000 watts.

The CKLW studios had a new look – new design, expanded accommodation, and a control room with the latest RCA equipment. In July, the station accepted new RCA studio broadcast audio equipment, culminating two years of engineering efforts by CKLW and RCA staff. An ad to mark the new facilities claimed, “Finest and Most up-to-date of Canada’s progressive radio stations.”

E. Wilson Wardell was named sales manager. He had been on the sales staff for nine years.

CKLW-FM (93.9 MHz) opened on November 24.

The comedy team of Joe Gentile and Ralph Binge and their program “Early Morning Frolic”, moved from CKLW to Detroit’s WJBK as of September 8.


CKLW began testing with 50,000 watts in August. The big switch day was set for September 1. CKLW officially switched to 50,000 (different day and night directional patterns) watts on September 7. CKLW was the second Canadian privately-owned station (after CFRB Toronto) to operate at this power. The formal opening featured the Hon. Ray Lawson, Lt. Governor of Ontario and the Hon. G. Mennen Williams, Governor of Michigan. The new transmitter was an RCA BTA 50F1 high fidelity unit. According to the Canadian Bridge Co., manufacturer of the CKLW towers, this was Canada’s first five tower welded antenna array. The transmitter site was located on highway 18, eight miles from Harrow, 35 miles south of Windsor, on Concession 7, Malden Township. When CKLW completed its move to 50,000 watts, its signal was able to reach a 15,000,000 population area in five U.S. states and 24 counties in Ontario.

J.E. Campeau was manager and E.W. Wardell was commercial manager. Toby David hosted the 6-9 a.m. show. Charles (Chuck) Gunn was appointed to the newly created post of assistant sales manager. He had spent 15 years with WXYZ Detroit. Art Laing hosted a show for teens.


The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation opened its own station in the city, CBE. It was the Trans-Canada station while CKLW was a supplementary B affiliate of the Dominion netowrk.

CKLW received approval to operate an emergency transmitter.


In August, CKLW took a prominent place in a co-operative campaign among Detroit area AM stations to promote “car radio”. Being the home of the big auto makers, CKLW, WXYZ, WJR, WJBK, WEXL, WWJ and WKMH all participated in experiments to get radios into cars.

Slogan: Reach more high income prospects with Western Ontario’s Biggest Voice.


The CBC approved the transfer of 17 common shares in CKLW.


CKLW submitted a television application to the Department of Transport. The Windsor Chamber of Commerce officially backed the application. The chamber told the CBC that while the area was widely served by American TV stations, it was felt the area should have the competitive services of a Canadian station so that telecasts of a Canadian nature may be transmitted within the area as extensively as possible. The CBC Board of Governors approved the TV application. CKLW president and GM J.E. Campeau said he had originally applied for a TV licence in 1949 but no action had been taken by the CBC Board. The CBC pointed out that a survey revealed 85% of the station’s (radio) programs were American. Campeau responded by saying he hoped to have considerable Canadian programming on TV.

At a Parliamentary Committee, an MP complained that radio stations like CFRB and CKLW were merely American stations on Canadian soil. CFRB legal counsel Joseph Sedgwick, replied that U.S. programs accounted for 18% of CFRB’s broadcasting time and 5% of its revenue.

Eddie Chase was a DJ at CKLW.

Slogan: Western Ontario’s most powerful voice.

In addition to J.E. Campeau (president and general manager), other members of the CKLW board of directors were Harry Sedgwick, J.E. Rogers, Samuel Rogers, Q.C., and John Campbell.

E. Wilson Wardell was commercial manager. Campbell Ritchie was director of operations.


S. Campbell Ritchie, for several years program director of CKLW, was appointed director of operations for CKLW and CKLW-TV, which was planning to debut in early September. The appointment was announced by J.E. (Ted) Campeau, president. Arthur MacColl, film director at WJBK-TV Detroit assumed that position with CKLW-TV. Don Sharon would be his assistant. Bruce Chick, continuity director for radio, was now TV traffic director. Don Grant, assistant chief photographer for the Windsor Daily News for 15 years was named TV news photographer. These TV directors were named: Al Venning, Charles Broadhead and Bernard Holland. Frank Quinn, formerly of Chrysler Corp., was assigned to TV production. Charles Knight would be art director and Giles McMahon would devote a large part of his time to program promotion. John Gordon was transferred from chief announcer to radio program director. Margaret Marshall would be in charge of CKLW traffic and continuity. Art Turnbull, staff announcer for the past 12 years, would assume responsibilities as director of production facilities.

CKLW-TV began broadcasting on September 16.

W.J. Carter was director of engineering for CKLW radio and TV.


Studios and offices moved to 825 Sandwich Street West.

The labor relations board certified NABET as bargaining agent for the technical employees of CKLW radio and television.

Ad: A MUST on your Radio-TV schedules in one of Canada’s RICHEST markets – CKLW-TV and AM – serving Windsor and Southwestern Ontario. CKLW-AM is still your biggest radio buy in its area. With 50,000 watts’ power, day and night, it enjoys consistently highest ratings. Latest BBM figures show 186,140 radio homes in CKLW’s coverage area.

Art Laing was a sportscaster. Terrence O’Dell and Austin Grant did news. Phil MacKellar left for CKFH in Toronto.

The CBC Board of Governors recommended for denial, an application that would have seen the transfer of CKLW-AM-FM and TV from Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. to Paramount Windsor Theatres Ltd. The application was denied because control would have gone to Famous Players Corp., owner of Paramount Windsor Theatres. This company already owned interests in other Canadian TV stations.


RKO Distributing became primary owner of the CKLW stations. through Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. when the transfer of a one-third interest in Western Ontario was approved on condition that there be no further transfers to non-Canadian control, specifically that the company gives an undertaking that any change in the distribution of shares of affiliated Essex Broadcasters Inc. be submitted for approval.


CKLW was a CBC Dominion supplementary B affiliate. It was also affiliated with the Mutual Broadcasting System in the U.S. Ownership of Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd.: RKO Distributing Corporation of Canada Ltd. 33.4%, Essex Broadcasters Inc. 32.4%, Estate of E. S. Rogers 11.8%, Estate of M. G. Campbell 6.5%, J. E. Campeau 5.9%, S. Rogers 3.2%, S. C. Ritchie 0.4%, J. L. Labow 0.1%, K. Laird 0.1%, A. D. Rogers 0.1%, 15 other shareholders 6.1%. Ownership of RKO Distributing Corp. of Canada Ltd.: RKO Teleradio Pictures Inc. 92.0%, J. Miller Walker 1.0%, William H. Clark 1.0%, Joseph J. Lamb 1.0%, Garrett Van Wagner 1.0%, 4 other shareholders 4.0%. Essex Broadcasters Inc. – Subsidiary company incorporated in the United States and owned in direct proportion by all shareholders of licensee company.

W. J. (Bill) Carter retired after 25 years in the business. He designed and built CKLW and Toronto’s CFRB. He had been chief engineer and director of engineering for CKLW Radio & Television. Carter will be replaced by Stewart Clark who had been with CKLW since 1937, working in technical and maintenance supervisory capacities.

CKLW marked its silver anniversary in June and celebrated with events on both radio and television. One event gave tribute to all of the employees who had been with the station 20 years or longer. Among them: Alger Durham (since 1934), transmitter caretaker; Cam Ritchie (1936), Radio & Television operations manager; J. E. Campeau (1932), president; Stewart Clark (1937), television engineering director; and John Gordon (1935) radio program director.

J. E. Campeau was president of the company and CKLW’s manager. S. Campbell Ritchie was assistant manager. John Gordon was program director and Wlater Townsend was news director. Stewart Clark was chief engineer and operator.


Ad slogan: CKLW-TV-Radio – The only “Twin Full Power” sight and sound combination in the Detroit and Windsor market. First in news. First in music. First in film.

Under the new Broadcasting Act (that saw the creation of the Board of Broadcast Governors), a broadcasting station must be 75% Canadian owned but the restrictions would not apply to existing stations…for example, CFCF (Canadian Marconi Co., controlled by Canmar Investments Ltd., in turn owned by English Electric Co. of England), CKCO-TV and CKLW-Radio-TV. A conservative senator pointed out that CFRB was owned by Standard Radio Ltd. (a public limited liability company, whose shares are traded on the TSE) and has no control over the ownership of its stock which could be purchased by persons of any country.


Eddie Chase (on-air) left CKLW.


Ads: CKLW – serving Western Ontario for more than 27 years – serves the largest Metropolitan audience of any station in Canada. / Now playing to the largest Canadian audience in our history! CKLW-TV .. channel 9 .. 325,000 watts / Radio .. 800KC .. 50,000 watts. Windsor, Ontario. J. Elsworth Rogers, director of Standard Radio Ltd. died in June. In 1939, he succeeded his late brother, Edward S. Rogers, as president of Rogers Broadcasting Co.


CKLW Radio and Television started self-selling its commercial time in the United States rather than using a sales representation firm.


The Trans-Canada and Dominion networks of the CBC were consolidated into a single service. CKLW-FM was the Dominion affiliate with CKLW-AM acting as a supplementary B station. CBE was the Trans-Canada station. Following the merger of the networks, CKLW-AM and FM went independent while CBE continued to provide CBC network service.


RKO gained 100% of CKLW-AM-FM and TV. Studios and offices were still at 825 Riverside Drive. (Sandwich Street re-named). On-air names: Bud Davies (6-10 a.m.), Joe Van (10-3), Dave Shafer (3-7:30), Tom Clay (7:30-midnight) and Ron Knowles (midnight-5). John Gordon was CKLW’s program manager. CKLW objected very strongly to claims made by Royce Frith in his application for a new AM station at Windsor. He stated that “CKLW though located in Windsor is an RKO station and is sold, promoted and programmed as a Detroit station”. He also said, “CKLW makes no serious attempt to program for Canadians and quite unabashedly is only in Windsor to sell, promote and program for the Detroit area.” In response to comments about CKLW’s advertising rates, the station confirmed it had different rate cards for Windsor and Detroit and that the rates were published and not a secret. Mr. Frith charged that CKLW was charging Detroit rates in Canada and that smaller Windsor businesses could not pay those rates. CKLW responded that its local Windsor rates were slightly lower than those charged by the leading station in London and slightly higher than those charged by the leading station in Hamilton. The Windsor rates were in fact, about 50% of what CFRB Toronto charged. CKLW was NOT charging Detroit rates in Canada. It should be noted that CKLW did not oppose Frith’s application. The station simply took exception to many of the claims made by Mr. Frith.

Rosalie Trombley joined CKLW as part-time switchboard operator.


Tom Shannon joined for the evening show from WGR 550 in Buffalo. Other on-air names not listed for 1963: Terry Knight and Barry Sharpe (sports).


CKLW Radio-TV dropped All-Canada Radio & Television as its national sales rep firm and opened its own sales office in Toronto. This was based on the huge success of selling its own ad time in the U.S. since 1961. At the same time, S. Campbell Ritchie, President of Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. announced the appointments of Edwin C. Metcalfe as general manager of CKLW-TV and Bob Buss (formerly of CHAT-TV Medicine Hat), GM of CKLW-AM-FM. In addition to the president’s title, Ritchie had also acted as GM of the stations until this time. Metcalfe had been commercial manager. John Gordon was still program director. Bud Davies was news director and Stewart M. Clark was still chief engineer. Robin Seymour was now at CKLW.


In September, CKLW went Top 40 as “Boss Radio”. Announcers: Dusty Rhodes (6-10 a.m.), Joe Van (9-noon), Ron Knowles (12-3), Dave Shafer (3-7), Tom Shannon (7-12), and Don Zee (overnights).


Bob Drake, Gary Mitchell, Billy Mack, Mike Rivers, Bob Todd and Johnny Morgan were now heard on CKLW.


Chuck Morgan was morning man (6-9), Mark Richards (9-noon), Jim Edwards (noon-3), Mike Rivers (3-6), Tom Shannon (6-9), Scott Regen (6-midnight) and Frank Brodie (aka Mike Marshall – overnights). Charlie Van Dyke was also at CKLW this year. Mark Richards (Jim Brady) joined this year. Dick Smyth was news editor. Robert J. (Bob) Buss was appointed vice president. He would continue to be AM-FM general manager, a position held since June of 1965. CKLW announcer Tom Shannon was named to host “The Lively Spot” on CKLW-TV. He would replace Robin Seymour’s “Swingin’ Time”. Shannon’s new TV show would air from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays and 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays (The Tom Shannon Show). He would continue to host his weekday morning show (6-9 a.m.) on CKLW Radio. CKLW was the only Canadian radio station to win an award at the RTNDA – for spot coverage – news director Dick Smyth was cited for the station’s coverage of the Detroit Riots in July, 1967.

After starting out at the switchboard, then moving to the music library, Rosalie Trombley was named CKLW’s Music Director in the fall.


The Canadian Radio-Television Commission introduced foreign ownership regulations. CKLW Radio & Television were owned by Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd., which was owned by RKO Distributing Corp. of Canada Ltd. That company was owned by RKO General Inc. of the U.S. RKO in turn was owned by Akron, Ohio based General Tire & Rubber Co. As a result, Western Ontario Broadcasting was not an eligible corporation for licence. CKLW-AM-FM and TV had their licences renewed only until September 1, 1970. They had until that time to conform to the new rules as their petition for exemption from the foreign ownership rules was denied. Charlie Van Dyke was morning man. Mark Richards and Tom Shannon left. Daryl B. joined late in the year from CKLG in Vancouver. Pat St. John joined CKLW. Baton Broadcasting of Toronto announced that it would purchase CKLW Television. After a period of time though, the company decided to consider the possibility of acquiring CKLW-AM-FM from RKO as well.


The Big 8 was the 7th most listened to radio station in North America, according to the U.S. Arbitron ratings service. Almost two and a half million persons tuned to CKLW every week. This was the largest audience in the station’s history (to date). WABC in New York was number 1 with 4,966,800 listeners. Numbers 2 and 3 were also in New York City (WOR and WCBS). Chicago’s WLS and WGN came in 4th and 5th. WINS New York was number 6. The next biggest station in the Detroit market was WJR (2,055,100). Rock competitor WKNR (Dearborn-Detroit) only had 568,500 listeners. CKLW’s sister Top 40 station in Los Angeles – KHJ – had 1,738,800 listeners. Austin Grant, former news director at CKLW radio and television died on July 1. He was 64. Grant first joined CKLW in 1949. On-air names included: Hal Martin, Ed Mitchell, Duke Roberts (joined from CHUM Toronto and left for KFRC San Francisco), Bob Clark, Gerry Morgan, Walt Baby Love, Bill Winters, Daryl B. (left for Vancouver’s CKLG in August), Dean Scott, and Pat St. John (left before year’s end). Vice president and general manager Bob Buss announced the appointment of Gary Mack (known on air as Byron McGregor) as news director. He had been with the station for the past three years. Fred J. Sorrell, regional sales manager, was named general manager of CKLW-AM-FM. On December 17, Baton Broadcasting Ltd. was authorized to purchase CKLW-AM and FM from Western Ontario Broadcasting Co. Ltd. Earlier in the year, CKLW-TV was purchased by a company owned by both Baton and by the CBC (St. Clair River Broadcasting Ltd.). Once that approval came, Baton after a period of consideration, decided to also acquire the CKLW radio stations. As to CKLW-TV, Baton had earlier joined up with Maclean-Hunter Ltd. in a bid to buy the station. The application was turned down.


Some On-air names: Tom Rivers, Pat Holiday, Chuck Beaumont, Chuck Hobart, Rick Allen, Frank Brodie, Johnny Williams (joined June 2), Dean Scott (left for CHUM – aka Scott Carpenter), Keith Radford (news), and Byron McGregor (news).


The CKLW-AM and FM studios and offices were re-located to a new facility at 1640 Ouellete Avenue, just in time for the Big 8’s 40th anniversary. Announcer line-up: Frank Brodie (Mike Marshall, 6-9), Dave Schaeffer (9-noon), Pat Holiday (noon-3), Bill Gable (3-6), Ted Richards (6-9), Hal Martin (9-midnight), Johnny Williams (midnight-6). Eddie Rogers and Mike Kelly were also at CKLW. Keith Radford, John Belmont, and Byron McGregor were among those in the news department. Alden Diehl was program director. Announcer Ted Richards joined CKLW.


Newsman Keith Radford left. Bob Savage was heard on CKLW.


CKLW shifted from Boss Rock to an Adult top 40 sound. The on-air team included: Dave Schaeffer, Gary Burbank, Eddie Rogers, Ted Richards, Bill Gable, Max Kinkle, Johnny Williams, and Chuck McKay (his stay was very brief).


The CBC acquired 100% of CKLW-TV and the call letters changed to CBET-TV. The CRTC announced revisions to Canadian content requirements for commercials on radio and television. CKLW would now face the task of persuading its audience and advertisers (both overwhelmingly American) to accept Canadianized ads. Keith Radford returned to the news department. Jo-Jo Shutty did traffic reports.


When CKLW had its licence renewed, it was required to assume its proper responsibility as part of the Canadian broadcasting system … to give full exposure to Canadian music, and to coverage of Canadian events, particularly at the local level. Tom Shannon returned to CKLW.


CKLW became an “adult contemporary” formatted station. Charlie O’Brien was now at CKLW. Keith Radford was appointed news director. He had been assistant news director for the past year.


In renewing CKLW’s licence for a full 5-year term, the CRTC called for a progress report within one year on further improvements in the presentation of Canadian news and public affairs, in the development of Canadian talent and in the scheduling of Canadian recordings throughout the 6:00 a.m. to midnight period. Dick Purtan was now CKLW’s morning man. Johnny Williams and Ted Richards were among the others heard on CKLW. Bob Davis was in the news department.


CKLW conducted stereo tests using the Harris V-CPM AM Stereo system. Chief engineer Ed Buterbaugh produced a 52 page report detailing his findings from the tests. It covered directional antenna null protection, channel separation as affected by directional antenna systems, adjacent channel interference, distortion in mono receivers, skywave effects, compatibility, frequency response and distortion, and signal-to-noise ratio. On-the-air: Dick Purtan & Tom Ryan (mornings), Tom Shannon (mid-days), Charlie O’Brien, Pat Holiday, Bill gable, Johnny Williams, Joe Evans, Scott Miller. Evans (aka Pat McNorgan) joined from CKGB Timmins. Miller had been with Toronto’s CFTR.


Announcers: Purtan & Ryan (mornings), Tom Shannon, Jack London (aka Peter Thompson), Bill Gable, Charlie O’Brien, Pat Holiday, Johnny Williams, Scott Miller and Joe Evans. The news department included: Brian Stone, Lou Henry, Keith Radford and Jacqueline Bynon. Aggie Yusedley and Colleen Burkar did traffic. Bill Gable left CKLW on March 14 to become program director at Toronto’s CFTR. He was replaced on-air at CKLW by Jack London. Brian Stone left for CFRW in Winnipeg. Neil Thomas joined the news department from CKWW.


Tom Shannon left CKLW.


On September 10, CKLW began AM stereo testing in conjunction with GM Delco, becoming the first Canadian AM station to operate in stereo. On-the-air: Purtan & Ryan (6-10), Johnny Williams (10-2), Jack London (2-6), Ted Richards (6-10), Charlie O’Brien (10-2) and Scott Miller (2-6). Doug Rolands and Joe Evans were also at CKLW. The news team included Keith Radford, George Gordon, Bob Davis, and Paul Morris. London left in July and was replaced by Ted Richards, Miller moved from overnights to 6-10 p.m. Radford left. Chuck Camroux resigned.


CKLW applied to the CRTC to swap formats with its FM station, CKJY. CKLW proposed to adopt a Big Band sound, while CKJY would change to contemporary rock aimed at the younger audience listening to FM. Established in 1932, CKLW enjoyed large audiences in the U.S. over the years and was considered one of North America’s most influential popular music stations. The CRTC denied the application and CKLW’s licence was renewed for only one year. The station was told to orient more of its programming, particularly news, to the Canadian audience. Tom Bell, Erin Davis, and John Crawford (joined from CFRA Ottawa) were now in the news department. Morning man Dick Purtan left for WCZY-FM Detroit. His on-air partner Tom Ryan remained at CKLW and took over AM Drive on his own on February 9. Joe Evans moved from weekends to mid-days.


G. Blair Nelson, president of Russwood Broadcasting (CKLW and CFQC) was named a director of parent company Baton Broadcasting. The following appointments were made at CKLW / CKJY-FM: Tom Bell to vice president of news, Robert Dent to vice president of finance, Pat Holiday to vice president of programming, and Gary Mercer to senior vice president. On April 6, CKLW switched to the Music of Your Life (adult standards format). CKLW Radio Broadcasting Ltd. changed its name to Russwood Broadcasting (still owned by Baton). Announcers included: Scott Miller, Kris James, Doug Rolands, Ted Richards, Charlie O’Brien, Johnny Williams, and Joe Evans. News: John Crawford, Tom Bell, Paul Morris, Bob Davis, Erin Davis, and Liz Sommerville (traffic). Paul W. Smith & Erin Davis (mornings), and Sommerville, left. Crawford left in July.


On March 29, Keith Campbell on behalf of a company to be incorporated was given approval to acquire CKLW and CKEZ-FM (formerly CFXX) from Baton’s Russwood Broadcasting Ltd. CUC Ltd. (owner of Windsor Cable) would hold 50% of the new company (negative control). The other shareholders would be Keith Campbell (20%), Robert O’Brien (19%), Michael Rinaldo through Platoon Communications Corp. (6%) and Denis Beallor (5%). O’Brien would manage the stations. For now, CKLW and CKEZ continued to operate under the Russwood Broadcasting banner. A recent CRTC decision requiring CKLW and CKEZ-FM to have 45% Canadian content in their newscasts came under heavy criticism from the news business. The Globe & Mail said the state had no business in the newsrooms of the nation. Jim MacLean of CKEY Toronto said the requirement opened the door to direct government control of editorial content. Bob Beaton of the RTNDA told CRTC chairman Andre Bureau that the decision, in effect, regulated newscast content and was a dangerous precedent, contrary to the public interest and to the constitutional provision of freedom of the press. Joe Evans (mid-days) left for CKY in Winnipeg.

Ted Richards left CKLW in January to work for Greater Media in Detroit.


Retired CKLW chief engineer Stewart Clark passed away May 13 at the age of 73. Before joining the CKLW stations, Clark worked for CFCO Chatham (starting in 1929), CFPL London, CKTB St. Catharines and CKOC Hamilton. He joined CKLW in 1937, and was responsible for the installation of the 50,000 watt transmitter in 1949. He moved to CKLW Television in 1953, and became director of engineering at that station in 1957. IN the mid 1960’s, Clark was the engineer responsible for putting 800 CKLW’s signal in the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel. Clark retired in 1973. Russwood Broadcasting became Amicus Broadcasting Ltd. Charlie O’Brien joined CKLW from CJBK London.


Jay Roberts joined CKLW on April 4 from WJR 760 in Detroit.


Agnes Kerekas was CKLW’s controller. Terry Coles became general manager of CKLW-AM-FM.


Newsman Mike Roberts left CKLW for CKO-FM. Tom Gauthier was CKLW’s general sales manager. Charles Adler joined CKLW as news director. He had been with CKY Winnipeg. CUC increased its ownership of CKLW-AM-FM from 50% to 100%. The CRTC said there was no excuse for CUC’s failure to submit an application prior to the actual transfer of shares. CUC said it had poured $4.4 million into the stations since becoming 50% owner in 1985 and expected to spend another million before seeing a turnaround. CUC had written to the CRTC to inform it that CUC would acquire shares held by Campbell and O’Brien, but neglected to file an application. Terry Coles would be president under the new ownership setup. The CRTC approved this transfer on March 3. Former CKLW personality Chuck Browning passed away on March 3. Jerry S. Grafstein was appointed chairman of CUC Group of Companies. Charles G. Allen became chief executive officer. Lawrence W. Blaine joined the company as senior vice president of finance. Terry L. Coles was senior vice president of broadcasting and served as president of Amicus Communications, operators of CKLW-AM and FM.


Jay Roberts left the morning shift (6-10) and was replaced by Tom Shannon from WGR in Buffalo.


Tom Shannon, Dave Prince, Jim Davis, Don Alcorn and Paul Mahon (joined in October) were CKLW’s announcers. The news department included Bob Bowers, Patti Handysides and Dick Hildebrand.


CKLW became an NBC affiliate. S. Campbell Ritchie passed away at age 75. The former president of the C.A.B. joined CKLW in 1936 as a staff singer, later becoming an announcer. He eventually became operations manager for CKLW and, later, CKLW-TV, becoming president and general manager in 1961. Pat Holiday (vice president of programming) left for CKFM in Toronto. He had been at CKLW for a number of years and worked in Cincinnati and Detroit radio before joining The Big 8. Don Brown was now doing the evening show on CKLW. Dave Schaffer was also heard on the station.


On March 30, CHUM Limited agreed to acquire Amicus Communications (CKLW-AM and FM) from Trillium Cable Communications Ltd. (division of CUC Broadcasting Ltd.). CHUM already owned Windsor’s two other private stations: CKWW-AM and CIMX-FM. CKLW-AM and FM had been losing money in recent years. CHUM proposed to upgrade CKWW to 50,000 watts on CKLW’s 800 kHz frequency. CKLW would move to CKWW’s 580 frequency. CHUM also wanted exemptions from regulations to enable it to compete with the flood of signals from Detroit. The CRTC set a public hearing date of September 22. The news department now included Don Daly and Grant Hudson (returned).


The CRTC approved the purchase of CKLW-AM-FM by CHUM, from CUC Broadcasting. It was a very rare exception where all four commercial stations in a market would be owned by the same company. CHUM Ltd. took ownership of CKLW-AM-FM on February 15. On March 1, at 12 a.m., CKLW and CKWW swapped formats. CKLW switched from adult standards to news-talk. Early in the year the program line-up looked like this: Ed Kelly & Melanie Deveau (5-9), Wayne McLean (9-11), Leah Hanson (11-3), Steve Garagiola (3-7), Lynn Martin (7-11). Automated programming followed. Paul Mahon was still heard on the station. The news team included: Rob Shervill, Paul Tipple, Kevin Bechard, and Neil Thomas. Later in the year: Cam Gardner & Lisa Williams (5-9), Melanie Deveau (9-12), Wayne McLean (12-3), Leah Hanson (3-6). Neil Thomas and Gerry Baker were also heard on CKLW. Paul Mahon left the station in August.


Former CKLW news director Byron MacGregor died January 3.


Wayne Stafford left CHUM Windsor. General sales manager Eric Proksch became interim general manager. Veteran Windsor newscaster Neil Thomas died at age 59. He had most recently hosted a gardening show on CKLW. Thomas had spent 40 years in broadcasting.


Radio Computing Services installed RCS master control digital studio equipment at CKLW, CKWW, CIDR and CIMX.


On March 22, CKLW was granted a transitional digital radio licence. The facilities were located at the existing CIMX-FM/CIDR-FM site in Windsor, using the EUREKA-147 DAB system in the frequency band 1452 MHz-1492 MHz (L-Band). The transmitter operated on frequency 1484.208 MHz (channel 19) with an effective isotropic radiated power of 4,369 watts. Alden Diehl, 68, died October 27. After working his magic at CFRA in Ottawa, he helped to make The Big 8 into Canada’s biggest radio station. He then went on to work for Moffat radio in Winnipeg and then Vancouver.


Former CKLW personality Daryl B. (Burlingham) passed away February 27. He was 58. Line-Up: Cam & Lisa 5-9, Lynn Martin 9-12, News 12-12:30, Dr. Joy Browne 12:30-3, Melanie Deveau 3-7, Prime Time Sports 7-8, Raceline Radio (Mon) / Art Bell (Tue-Fri) 8-9, Dr. Gabe Mirkin 9-11, Deborah Ray 11-12, Dreamland (Mon) / People Helping People (Tue-Fri) 12-1 and Art Bell from 1-5.


In October of 2003, CKLW toppled its aging towers at Howard Ave. & County Rd. 50. To keep the station on the air, one of the old towers remained standing and power was cut to 8,000 watts (non-directional). Five new towers were constructed and the station was back to its full 50,000 watts in January of 2004.


Allan Waters, the founder of CHUM Limited, owner of CKLW, passed away at the age of 84, on December 3rd.


On July 12 it was announced that Bell Globemedia would pay C$1.7 billion for CHUM Ltd., in a deal that would see the company become part of the BCE-owned media conglomerate, subject to CRTC approval. On August 31, the two companies announced that BGM had been successful in its offer to acquire approximately 6.7 million common shares and approximately 19.2 million non-voting Class B shares of CHUM. The shares were to be placed in the hands of an independent trustee pursuant to a voting trust agreement approved by the CRTC. On December 12th, it was announced that Bell Globemedia would henceforth be known as CTVglobemedia.


A CRTC hearing on the CTVglobemedia application to acquire the assets of CHUM Limited was held on April 30th 2007. On June 8 the CRTC approved the acquisition of CHUM Ltd. by CTVglobemedia, on condition that CTV sell off its five City-TV stations, CITY-TV Toronto, CHMI-TV Portage La Prairie/Winnipeg, CKEM-TV Edmonton, CKAL-TV Calgary and CKVU-TV Vancouver. Rogers Communications announced on June 25th that a deal had been reached for them to buy these stations from CTV, subject to CRTC approval. Among the CHUM assets acquired by CTVglobemedia in the deal were seven television stations, including CHWI-TV Windsor / Wheatley, 21 specialty channels and some 33 radio stations, including CKLW-AM.


CKLW’s former chief engineer Ed Buterbaugh passed away September 1 at the age of 65. He was the technical man behind The Big 8’s booming sound in its glory days. Ed even lived close the the transmitter site, near Harrow. He was also the man that made it possible for people in vehicles to hear CKLW in the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel. The only station that could be heard! After leaving CKLW, Buterbaugh worked for WJR 760 and its sister FM stations in Detroit.


On August 28, the CRTC renewed the transitional digital radio licence of CKLW-DR-2.


A Windsor announced that Arms Bumanlag would take on the role of weather host for the station’s flagship 6 p.m. newscast in addition to his on-air work (on the street reporter and program host) for AM800 CKLW. Paul McDonald was promoted to News Director at CHUM Radio Windsor, succeeding Jason Moore who left the business. McDonald had been a reporter. Keith Chinnery was program director. On November 30, the CRTC renewed CKLW’s licence to August 31, 2017. Mark Dailey passed away December 6 at age 57. He was best known for being “The Voice” of Citytv Toronto. Dailey was host of the 11 p.m. Citytv News. He began his Canadian career at CKLW Windsor, then moved to CHUM Toronto in 1974. He later went down the street to become News Director at the brand new Q107. In 1979, he made the jump to TV. Rosalie Trombley, CKLW’s Music Director during the station’s ‘60s and ‘70s heyday, received an honorary diploma from St. Clair College and had a scholarship named in her honour. Trombley, who picked the songs that aired on the station’s Top 40 format, automatically gave those tunes instant hit status because of the station’s massive reach over several states and much of Southern Ontario. Fred Sorrell, CKLW’s General Manager from 1969 to 1972, was an organizer of the June 16 convocation ceremonies. He said Trombley’s major contribution was exposing Motown artists to a largely white audience. He told the Windsor Star that “it was through Rosalie that Motown was heard in places in the U.S. south where radio programmers wouldn’t play it.” For no other reason than that, he said, she should go into Cleveland’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


On March 7, the CRTC approved an application by BCE Inc. on behalf of CTVglobemedia Inc., for authority to change the effective control of CTVgm’s licensed broadcasting subsidiaries to BCE. The Commission concluded that the transaction would be beneficial to the Canadian broadcasting system by ensuring the long-term stability of a significant Canadian television network and advancing the Commission’s objective of providing relevant high-quality Canadian programming to Canadians through conventional and new media distribution channels. BCE was a public corporation and controlled by its board of directors. Before this approval, BCE held 15% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm. The other shareholders were 1565117 Ontario Limited (a corporation ultimately controlled by Mr. David Kenneth R. Thomson) (40% of the voting interest), Ontario Teacher’s Plan Board (25% of the voting interest) and Torstar Corporation (20% of the voting interest). Under the transaction agreement dated September 10, 2010, BCE would acquire the remaining 85% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm and would therefore exercise effective control. In March 15, CTV Inc., CTV Corp., CTV Limited and CTVglobemedia Inc. amalgamated to continue as CTV Inc. BCE Inc. announced on April 1 that it had completed its acquisition of CTV and that it had launched Bell Media (replacing CTVglobemedia), a new business unit that would make CTV programs and other Bell content available on smartphones and computers as well as traditional television. In addition to CTV and its television stations, Bell Media now also operated 29 specialty channels, 33 radio stations, Dome Productions, a mobile broadcast facilities provider, and dozens of high-traffic news, sports and entertainment websites, including the portal. The CRTC approved a change to the ownership of Bell Media Inc., from BCE Inc. to Bell Canada. This transaction would not affect effective control of Bell Media Inc. and of its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, which continued to be exercised by BCE Inc. Bell Media Inc. held, directly and through its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, various radio and television programming undertakings as well as specialty and pay-per-view television services. On August 22, the CRTC approved the applications by BCE Inc., on behalf of Bell Media Inc. and 7550413 Canada Inc., carrying on business as Bell Media Windsor Radio Partnership, for authority to acquire, as part of a corporate reorganization, CKWW, CKLW, CIMX-FM and CIDR-FM Windsor. Bell Media, the managing partner holding 99.99% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Canada and controlled by BCE. 7550413, the other partner holding the remaining 0.01% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Media and is also controlled by BCE. BCE submitted that the purpose of this corporate reorganization was to realize tax efficiencies. The Commission noted that this transaction would not affect the effective control of the undertakings which would continue to be exercised by BCE.


Frank (Budd) Lynch died at age 95. He joined CKLW in 1938 from Hamilton’s CKOC. In 1941, he left for active service overseas and returned to CKLW in 1946 as Director of Special Events and Sports Announcer. Beginning in the 1949-50 NHL season, Lynch began calling Red Wings games for WWJ-TV Detroit. He later did play-by-play for the Red Wings on the radio and, later still, served as the team’s director of publicity and the public address Announcer.


It was announced in January that 76 year old Rosalie Trombley would receive the Walt Grealis Special Achievement Award at this year’s Junos. Trombley was often described as “one of the most influential persons in radio history” and “the girl with the golden ear,” during her time as music director at The Big 8 – CKLW. She was credited with making the careers of such Canadian music icons as Gordon Lightfoot and The Guess Who.
CKLW Windsor, ON

On May 12, CKLW`s The Morning Drive show was broadcast live from the inside of a brand new Chrysler Pacifica. This was believed to be an industry first. Hosts Mike Kakuk and Leah Hanson were mobile in the vehicle for the majority of the broadcast. The vehicle’s significant connection to the local economy is what led to the idea of the mobile broadcast.


Lisa Williams celebrated her 30th anniversary on-air in Windsor in the spring. She began as the traffic reporter at CKWW 580 in 1987, joining Cam Gardiner on The Cam and Lisa Show for 16 years. Since 2003, she’s co-hosted The Morning Drive on AM800 with Mike Kakuk.

On May 1, CKLW had to move its programming over to sister station CKWW for about 13 hours following a fire at the transmitter site.

In November, Bell Media axed a number of people across the country (cost cutting). One of those let go was Keith Chinnery, who had spent nearly 30 years at CKLW/CKWW. He had been PD at CKLW for 20 years and also PD of CKWW for the last two years.


Howard Lapides, 62, died on August 1. He got his start in radio at age 16, as a post-game host on Buffalo Bills broadcasts on WYSL-FM (as Michael O’Shea). He went on to work at a couple of stations in Massachusetts before joining CKLW Windsor and then CFGO Ottawa. Much later, he consulted on CTV’s Open Mike, hosted by Mike Bullard.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station