CKCH/CNRO-AM, CKCH/CNRO-AM, Ottawa
Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
|CBO-AM||1937||690||500||Canadian Broadcasting Corp.|
|CHCH/CNRO-AM||1933||690||500||Canadian Radio Comission|
|CRCO-AM||1924||690||500||Canadian National Railway|
On February 27, at 8:30 p.m., the Canadian National Railway opened CKCH on February 24 at 690 kHz with 500 watts. The broadcast opened with the playing of “O Canada” by the Chateau Laurier Orchestra. Studios were in the Jackson Building, 122 Bank Street and the 200 foot antenna was located on the roof.
On July 16, CKCH changed its name to CNRO to indicate it was the CNR’s station in Ottawa.
CNRO moved to 840 kHz on January 10.
On February 14, CNRO moved back to 690 kHz.
In September, CNRO’s frequency was changed to 600 kHz.
CNRO moved its studios to the CNR-owned Château Laurier Hotel.
The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission purchased the CNR stations, including CNRO on March 1st.
Because of the new ownership, CNRO became CRCO on April 16.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation replaced the CRBC on November 2.
Because the station was now owned by the CBC, CRCO became CBO on October 3.
The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.