CJTT-FM , New Liskard

Connelly Communications Inc.

CJTT-FM1999104.51,000Connelly Communications Inc.
CJTT-AM196712301,000Connelly Communications Inc.


On August 1, Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Ltd. (owned by the Thomson family’s Northern Broadcasting Ltd.) opened CJTT 1230 New Liskeard as a semi-satellite of CJKL Kirkland Lake. CJTT operated with a power of 1,000 watts day and 250 watts at night. 


David Shulman was appointed promotion manager at CFCH-AM-TV. He had been with CKKW Kitchener. Shulman would be responsible for promotions CFCH-TV and Trinor Radio (CFCH, CKGB, CJKL and CJTT). Reg Carne was manager of Northern Broadcasting Ltd., and CFCH-AM-TV.


On July 3, Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Ltd. (CJKL, CJTT) was given approval to have studios at New Liskeard. 

Ad: Trinor adds Tri-Town – 1 kw satellite of CJKL, serves New Liskeard, Haileybury & Cobalt. Now CJTT originates (daily) programming from its New Liskeard studios to serve Tri-Town even better.


On July 6, the Thomson and Davies families were given permission to sell their stations to Bushnell Communications Ltd. of Ottawa. The sale included stations in Timmins, Peterborough, Kingston, and North Bay. Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (CJKL and CJTT in New Liskeard) was part of the deal. The sale was conditional on the transfer of CFCH-AM-TV North Bay & Cablevue to another party. The sale to Bushnell was never completed.


On December 28, the sale of Northern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (including Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Co. Ltd.) to J. Irving Zucker and Jack Schoone (Eastern Broadcasting) was approved.


On August 1, Robert Ancell received approval to purchase Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Co. Ltd. from Northern Broadcasting Management Ltd. (owned by Eastern Broadcasting). Ancell was a minority shareholder in Northern.

Ancell took ownership of CJKL and CJTT in September.


Cliff Connelly became a shareholder of Kirkland Lake Broadcasting in July and manager in December.


On February 13, the CRTC approved the application by Telemedia Communications Inc. for a licence for an English-language radio network that included CJTT, for the purpose of broadcasting the hockey games of the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 1983-84 season of the National Hockey League. 

On December 13, CJTT was given approval to increase night-time power from 250 to 1,000 watts.


On June 19, the CRTC approved the transfer of 50.1% of Kirkland Lake Broadcasting Ltd. (CJKL and CJTT) from Ancell Communications Management Ltd. to Goldburst Investments Ltd., a company controlled by Clifford O. Connelly. Mr. Connelly already owned the other 49.9% and had been managing the stations since December of 1983.


On July 28, CJTT was given approval to operate as a CBC Radio affiliate. 


Kevin Kanne returned to his hometown and CJTT to become news director. He had held the same post at CFOR in Orillia.


On October 29, CJTT was given permission to disaffiliate from the CBC Radio Network once the CBC’s own station begins broadcasting at Haileybury. 


On February 24, CJTT was given permission to convert to the FM band, operating on a frequency of 104.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 10,000 watts. CJTT currently receives programming entitled “Good Time Oldies”, hits before 1980, from the Pelmorex radio network. The licensee broadcasts this network programming from 6:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. on weekdays, and from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00  a.m. on weekends. For the remainder of the station’s programming, CJTT, itself, offered a variety of music, including many hits from the 50s, 60s and 70s. CJTT maintained the oldies format on FM.

CJTT began its FM broadcasts on June 26. CJTT-AM shut down immediately.


On August 13 the CRTC renewed CJTT-FM’s licence to August 31, 2011. 


On August 31, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CJTT-FM until March 31, 2012.

After more than 40 years in the broadcast business, Don Elvidge, the long-time director of engineering at Connelly Communication’s 104.5 CJTT FM and 101.5 CJKL FM retired. While he looks forward to traveling, Elvidge has a deal with Connelly to mentor his successor and help out with any emergencies.


On March 20, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CJTT-FM to August 31, 2012. On August 28, the licence was administratively renewed to December 31, 2012. On December 21, the licence was renewed to August 31, 2017.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station