CHKT-AM, Multicultural – Fairchild Radio, Toronto

Fairchild Holdings

CHKT-AM1997143050,000Fairchild Holdings
CKYC-AM199459050,000Rogers bought MacLean Hunter Ltd.
CKYC-AM198159050,000Telemedia Communications Inc.
CKEY-AM196659010,000/5,000Maclean Hunter Ltd.
CKEY-AM196459010,000/5,000Shoreacres Broadcasting Ltd.
CKEY-AM19455805,100Frybrook Ltd. (Jack Kent Cooke)
CKCL-AM1925840500Dominion Battery Co.


The Dominion Battery Co. Ltd. put CKCL on the air May 5th 840 kHz with 500 watts power. George H. Gooderham was President of the compny. 

The station shared time with CFCA and CHIC. Studios were in The Prince George Hotel. 

Gord McClain started in radio at CKCL.


CKCL shared airtime on 840 kHz with CFCA, CHIC, CHNC, CJBC,CJCD, CJSC, CKNC.


CNRT moved to 690 kHz, but CKCL was still sharing time with CFCA, CHIC and CKNC while on 840.  CKCL studios were at 104 University Ave.


CKCL and CKNC moved to 580 kHz, leaving CFCA alone on 840. J.L.Allabough was Chief Announcer and Program Arranger.

Violet Smith, vocalist/pianist, had been an outstanding star with commercial sponsors  who acclaimed her among their most popular attractions.  Newspapers described her as the first female vocalist to perform with an orchestra on Canadian radio.


CKCL’s frequency got crowded again as the station had to share time with CHNC, CJBC, CJCD and co-owned CFCL.


CKCL was still on 580 kHz with 500 watts power, owned by The Dominion Battery Co. Ltd., 20 Trinity Street, sharing time with CKNC and CFCL. 

Jack Murray joined CKCL as sports announcer and salesman.

Archie Cunningham started “Archie’s Morning Melodies” that lasted until 1949! 


CKCL found itself sharing time, only with co-owned CFCL. Authorization was given, November 16, for Dominion to phase out CFCL to allow CKCL to use 580 kHz full-time.

Al Leary joined CKCL.


CKCL’s transmitter and towers were located at 20 Trinity Street. Dominion’s head office was at 444 University Avenue. CKCL reduced power from 500 to 100 watts.

Only a year after joining CKCL, Al Leary was named manager. 


Jack Murray left CKCL for CFCO Chatham.


Vic Growe started in the radio as an actor at CKCL. Alan Savage joined CKCL from CKLW Windsor where he had been announcer-producer. He now had a similar role at CKCL. 


Alan Savage left CKCL for WGR in Buffalo, N.Y.


Dick McDougal joined the CKCL announce staff from CFRB. Al Leary was CKCL’s manager. Bob Kesten left CKCL to free-lance and would be heard mainly on CFRB. Jack Thompson joined the CKCL announce staff on March 1. He had been with CKOC Hamilton. Sturdee Jarvis left for the production department at CKGB Timmins. Slim Freckleton hosted The Early Bird Club (mornings) on CKCL. 


Phyllis Woods joined CKCL as women’s editor of its morning daily newspaper of the air. Maurice Rapkin was program director.

CKCL bought the complete library of the World Broadcasting System and installed the latest Western Electric equipment for vertical and lateral recording reproduction.


Ernie Swan
Ernie Swan

CKCL 580 was the first Canadian 100 watt station to receive approval to increase power to 1,000 watts under the Havana Treaty. The Department of Transport gave the okay on February 3, provided technical issues could be straightened out. CKCL planned to install new Canadian Marconi transmitting equipment. Construction of CKCL’s new transmitter building in Scarborough (9 miles from the studios) was underway in the spring. A 46-acre farm was purchased for the 1,000 watt site. It was hoped the station would be operating from the site on July 1. Two 200 foot (some say 212′) towers were being built by Ajax Engineers Ltd. of Toronto. They would be placed about 1,000 feet apart to give the station the first directional antenna in Canada. CKCL would operate directionally because the transmitter location was near the shore of Lake Ontario. A Marconi 1 kW transmitter would be used. Entire cost for the project was expected to be about $70,000. 

Ernie Swan was chief engineer. Gord McClain who joined CKCL in 1925 and then left to manage CFCA for seven years, came back to CKCL, enlisted in the RCCS in January. Stewart Miller joined the CKCL announce staff from Hamilton’s CHML. Flying officer J. F. Dow, formerly transmitter engineer with CKCL and CKSO Sudbury, was now an instructor at No. 1 Wireless School of the Royal Canadian Air Force in Montreal. Bob Kesten was a free-lance announcer for both CKCL and CFRB. Announcer Vernon Carter left CKCL for CKGB Timmins.

On May 19 a violent wind and rain storm hit southern Ontario, blowing the roof off the CKCL transmitter building. The station was able to remain on the air without interruption.

CKCL started operating from its new 1,000 watt Canadian Marconi transmitter on August 1. Operations were now coming from the new plant at Scarborough. From a print ad related to the technical changes: This is a BOW we are glad to take. Reception reports on CKCL’s new 1000 Watt Marconi Transmitter, with Directional Antenna, have become so flattering that we are glad to take a bow. And even greater indication of its success is shown in the number of new National clients who are reserving time for this Fall. We suggest to all American advertisers and their Advertising Agencies that they write immediately for a new Rate Card and times available. CKCL is now the best buy in Canadian radio.

CKCL became a subscriber of the British United Press news service.


Under the Havana Treaty, CKCL was one of the few stations that would hold on to its existing dial position. CKCL was authorized to operate on 580 kHz (Class III-B) with 1,000 watts, directional. On March 29, hundreds of stations across North America were forced to change frequencies. 

In addition to being manager of CKCL, Al Leary was also a sports commentator. Frances Thompson joined CKCL to host a women’s morning program. She had been with MacLaren Advertising.

Through arrangements made by the CBC with NBC, CKCL was no carrying Red and Blue network sustaining programs, as well as commercials.


Variety magazine cited CKCL for its successful blend of public interest and its own interests. The citation said: This station has provided a well-balanced outline of how a radio station may serve its country and its home town during war time.


Clary Settell hosted a bowling show on CKCL. 

On June 27 the army took possession of CKCL and operated the station for the entire evening as part of “Army Week”. The capture of the station was so complete that the army had reorganized the schedule and engaged its choice of talent by telephone.

CKCL became an affiliate of the Mutual Broadcasting System. This brought the number of MBS affiliates to 207. 


Henry S. Gooderham, president of CKCL (Dominion Battery Co.), announced the Minister of Transport had approved the transfer of CKCL to Jack Kent Cooke and his associates.

On August 21 at 5 a.m. CKEY, owned and operated by the Toronto Broadcasting Co. took over the old CKCL plant. Jack Kent Cooke was president and general manager. The station planned to soon increase power from 1,000 to 5,000 watts and was operating 24 hours a day. News was now heard on the hour. A staff of 45 was hired, including: Don Insley (continuity), Hal Stubbs (farm programs), John Stinson (production and news), Lorne Green (newscaster), Mickey Lester (Musical Clock), Larry Kent (Make Believe Ball Room), Jack Thompson (announcer), Ron Dunn (announcer), Ann Abbott (women’s news), Joe Crysdale (Club 580 and sports), Phil Sandy (announcer), Eddie Guest (production and traffic), Michael FitzGerald (newscaster), Bruce Tremeer (librarian). CKEY retained CKCL’s office and engineering staff, with “Ernie” Swan remaining as chief engineer.

On August 28 CKEY began operating on an entirely new type of program schedule. Everything was new from mikes to management. The station offered the following guarantee to advertisers: 1. Each quarter hour period would be 14:40 seconds in length. 2. No spot announcements would be allowed between programs. 3. Chain breaks or flash announcements ONLY would be permitted between programs. 4. Special programs under the direction of their exclusive master of ceremonies would afford a vehicle for a maximum of THREE spot announcements per quarter hour. 5. Each special feature would have its own master of ceremonies. This M.C. would not be heard on any other program on CKEY or any other radio station while in the employ of CKEY. 

Cooke had planned and tested the new format in other Canadian areas, primarily in Northern Ontario and Quebec when he was GM of Northern Broadcasting & Publishing Co. He was certain that listeners did not want the program they were listening to, changed every quarter hour and that they would rather have one or two hours of solid program continuity.

The station operated out of studios and offices at 414 University Avenue and the transmitter site was unchanged. Jack Cooke had been a salesman – pushing books and then soap. Eventually he ended up working for Roy Thomson’s Northern Broadcasting and running its chain of Northern Ontario radio stations. Cooke knew very little about radio. By the time he was done with Thomson though, Cooke had acquired his own station in Rouyn, Quebec. He sold that station less than two years later for five times what he paid for it. The 32 year old Cooke became president of the station. It should be noted that he paid a record price (for the time) of $500,000 for the former CKCL

John B. Stinson did a late day newscast on CKEY. Larry Martin joined CKEY as a newscaster and announcer. He had worked in the past at CFCF Montreal and CKCO Ottawa and was recently discharged from the army. 


CKEY had earlier been authorized to operate with 5,000 watts during the day and 1,000 watts night, on a temporary basis. Different directional antenna patterns were used for day and night operation. The power increase took effect in January. The station utilized the first directional antenna system in Canada, developed by engineer Ernie Swan. CKEY was later allowed to operate at 5000 watts power full-time. The station had hoped to make the change on Christmas Day but a December blizzard caused a delay. President J.K. Cooke said, “The combination of 5,000 watts and our 580 Kc frequency will enable us to service western Ontario and eastern Ontario like a church bell in a telephone booth.” 

CKEY produced its programs and sold them to sponsors pretty much on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. The entire broadcast day was plotted out as a smooth-flowing, well-balanced 24-hour show. Sponsors were allowed to buy pieces of it, but they could not impose their own ideas. Commercials were few and far between, but listener ratings were great. 

It was announced that the Blue Network had asked for a severance of its association with CJBC and had offered its facilities to CKEY.

Jack Matthews became CKEY’s publicity director. Martin Silburt and Hal Kelly were added to the CKEY announce staff. Silburt had worked at CKRN, CJKL and CKGB. Kelly was a newcomer, receiving his discharge from the RCAF. Aubrey Wyce joined CKEY’s continuity department from CJBC. George Bell joined CKEY’s commercial department from Harry E. Foster Agencies Ltd.

CKEY’s application to the CBC for permission to become an affiliate of the American Broadcasting Co. (Blue Network) was set over until the next board meeting.

CKEY news commentator Loyal Kelly left the station for McKim Advertising. Art Boulden was now with the RCAF. Jack Cooke was manager and Dan Carr was commercial manager. 

John Stinson resigned from CKEY to enter the freelance announcing field. He had been the station’s chief news announcer for the past year. Commercial manager Dan Carr left the station for Vickers & Benson. Fred Cripps joined CKEY’s announce staff from CKCK in Regina. Alan Miller joined CKEY as a newscaster. He had worked in the newspaper business. 

Some CBC Dominion network programs were now being heard on CKEY in addition to the network’s main station – CJBC.

To broadcast newscasts 24 hours a day, CKEY employed a news staff of six men and used two news services. The stations newscasters were Lorne Greene, Larry Martin, Allan Millar and Jules Ross. Dr. E.H. Macdonald was news editor.

Harry Witton joined CKEY’s merchandising department. He had worked in the past at CHML and CKSO. Jack Pond returned to his maintenance work at CKEY after a stint with the navy. Duke and Ruth Stubbs left CKEY for CJAD in Montreal. Ron Dunn also left CKEY for CJAD’s announce staff.

Late in the year, the CBC Board refused CKEY’s application to bring in programs from the Mutual broadcasting System.


Fred Darling joined CKEY to do special features work. He had been with CHEX Peterborough. Allan Acres left CFRB to replace Alf Standen as CKEY’s librarian. Alf Stanton left CKEY for the music department at CHUM. 


CKEY opened a Radio Theatre, located just off Yonge Street on Trinity Square.

Station advertising slogan at the time: “By Actual Survey…Toronto’s Most Listened To Station.”

Bill Crone, former announcer of CJAD Montreal, joined the announce staff of CKEY.

Blocked programs on which the advertiser could only buy availabilities, was having phenomenal success on CKEY. Audience numbers were up and advertisers had been attracted to the station. CKEY blocked programs ran day and night except during 7:30 to 11:00 p.m. With the exception of these evening hours which primarily used live or network shows, all programs on the station were recorded. The station was not directly affiliated with any American or Canadian network but took shows from NBC, American and Mutual. The station aired news on the hour – every hour. 

The broadcast day in 1946 looked like this: 5:00 a.m. – Say It with Music. 7:00 – Musical Clock. 9:00 – All Time Hit Parade. 10:00 – Make Believe Ballroom. 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. was sold in quarter hours. The next block period started at 1:00 p.m. and featured The Pops Concert. The Mickey Lester Show ran from 2-4 p.m. Club 580 started at 4:00 and was for high school students. Studio Party was next, then more Make Believe Ballroom for two hours. From 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., a solid musical program with the only breaks being for news and the first hour when light chatter and comedy was spotted between recordings. An audience survey now put CKEY in first position between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Blocked programming had made the station one of the top revenue producing stations in the country. CKEY used a staff of 65 to keep its programs varied and entertaining for all its blocked program periods.

After discharge from the Royal Canadian Navy, Howard Caine was employed by Jack Kent Cooke’s as assistant manager of Imperial Radio Productions. The job had him purchasing and selling transcribed radio programs and script services across Canada. The following year (around 1946) he moved to CKEY’s sales department.

Jack Illingworth joined CKEY’s library department. He was a musician and new to radio. Bob Lee joined CKEY’s music library. He had been in the commercial department at CKWS Kingston. Don Insley was program director. 

Doc Lindsay joined the CKEY program department. He joined from the army and was a former program director at CJKL Kirkland Lake. Jack Anthony, formerly of CKRC Winnipeg and CKNW New Westminster, was added to CKEY’s commercial staff. Stan Hamilton and Russ Garison were added to the library department. 

CKEY chief engineer Ernie Swan was inducted into Canada’s “Quarter Century Radio Club”. He started his career in radio in 1920 with experimental work.

CKEY opened a new Radio Theatre on September 1. Just off Yonge Street, on Trinity Square, the modern air conditioned facility could accommodate 300 people.

CKEY’s “Club 580” featuring Joe Chrysdale, welcomed its 10,000th member. The lucky person won a number of prizes to mark the event. 

Engineer Fred Eaton left CKEY for the Canadian Marconi Co. Former CHEX Peterborough manager Hal Cooke joined CKEY’s commercial department. George Bell left CKEY as commercial manager to enter the brokerage business. By the end of the year, Waldo Holden had left CKRC Winnipeg as commercial manager and was reportedly on his way to CKEY. It was confirmed a short time later that Holden had indeed joined CKEY. He was named director of sales at the station, effective January 18, 1947. Larry Martin was in the news department. 

Rod Dewar joined the CKEY announce staff. Doc Lindsay was on the program staff.


Waldo Holden was commercial manager at CKEY.

Hal Cooke was appointed manager of CKEY. He had been an account executive and assistant manager. He succeeded his brother (Jack) who remained president of the company. Jack Cooke resigned active management of CKEY to devote more time to such interests as being publisher of the Canadian edition of Liberty Magazine. Hal was formerly manager of CHEX Peterborough and also CJAD Montreal.

W.L. (Len) Smith left CKEY as commercial manager. He went to KGIL in San Fernando, California. Former CKEY staff announcer Ted Murphy returned to the station, this time in sales. Des Kearney joined the CKEY announce staff from CKSF in Cornwall. Harry Wilton was publicity chief. CKEY was now airing “The Henry Morgan Show” on Friday nights right after Keith Sandy’s “Make Believe ballroom”.

In May, Hal Cooke was appointed manager of CKEY by president and general manager Jack Kent Cooke. Jack relinquished active management of the station to concentrate on his other business interests. Hal joined Northern Broadcasting in 1939, becoming manager of CHEX Peterborough in 1946. He took over management of CJAD Montreal the same year, then joined CKEY’s commercial department. He was an account executive at the time of his appointment to manager. 

Thomas W. Allen died in June. In recent times he had reported hockey and baseball results for CKEY. Monica Mugan hosted “Listen Ladies” on CKEY. Salesman Howard Caine left CKEY to become radio director at E.W. Reynolds & Co. Ltd. Waldo Holden left CKEY as sales manager to take up the same position at CFRB. 

CKEY was installing new studio and transmitter equipment with completion scheduled for the fall. The Scarborough transmitter building was being enlarged to make room for a new Marconi 5,000 watt transmitter, as well as an FM unit. There would also be room for the existing AM transmitter which would be used in emergencies. A new GE control board for master control and new remote patch board relay system for AM and FM transmitters were now in place. New control boards for three other studios were being installed.

CKEY was issued an FM licence for Toronto.


Fred Cripps was doing news at CKEY. Stan Jones left CKEY to join the announce staff at CKNW New Westminster. Joe Crysdale was doing play-by-play for baseball games on CKEY. Globe & Mail sports writer Jim Coleman did commentary for the games and selected the three-star players. Hal Kelley did news. Doc Lindsey resigned from CKEY. He had been night supervisor for a number of years. Jay & Ginger were heard on CKEY.

The first Canadian applications for television stations were filed with the CBC and were scheduled to be heard at hearings in May. The applicants were: Jack Kent Cooke (CKEY), Kenneth D. Soble (CHML) and Al Leary (formerly with CKCL Toronto and one of the original owners of CHUM). At its May meeting, the CBC board deferred until October, the TV applications by CKEY and Al Leary. The board said Toronto only had three TV channels and felt one of them should be held for the National System. The application by Ken Soble was denied as only one channel was available at Hamilton and again, the board felt that channel should be held for the National System.

The CBC board approved a share transfer for CKEY.

Applications to bring television to Canada, starting with Toronto and Montreal were turned down by the CBC Board of Governors. Applicants included CFRB, CKEY, Al Leary and Famous Players Canadian Corp. at Toronto; and CFCF and CKAC for Montreal. The applications were shelved because the CBC had no money to enter the television game.


An ad congratulated Mickey Lester, “Canada’s #1 Disc Jockey” on his new time: 8:05 to 9:00 p.m. Fred Cripps, with CKEY since 1945, moved on to freelance work. Joe Crysdale hosted Club 580. Hayden Lennard, left CKEY as news editor for British United Press. John Thompson joined CKEY as promotion director. He had been with Reynolds Advertising. Jack Murray died November 11. He started in radio in 1930 at CKCL as sports announcer and salesman. In 1933 he moved to CFCO Chatham as commercial manager. Murray then joined Tandy Advertising in 1936 and opened his own company, Jack Murray Ltd., in 1943.

The applications for new television stations (CKEY, CFRB, Famous Players and Al Leary for Toronto; and CFCF and CKAC for Montreal) were again deferred by the CBC Board of Governors.

CKEY was authorized to operate an emergency transmitter. 

Hal Cooke was manager and Bob Lee was commercial manager. Howard Manning joined CKEY as librarian. He had been an announcer at CJOY in Guelph. 


Bill McAlpine was a recording engineer. Rick Campbell was special events editor. Harry Rasky joined CKEY news from CHUM. Bill Todd (also ex-of CHUM) was now at CKEY.

Sportscaster Joe Crysdale would normally reconstruct out of town Maple Leaf baseball games from reports received by CN Telegraph from the ball parks. His job was a little more difficult for a time because of a major railway strike. He had the cooperation of stations WRNY Rochester and WEBR Buffalo during this time. He would hear their play-by-play via telephone and report it to CKEY listeners, about two plays behind. Lorne Greene was CKEY’s featured news commentator.


The CBC approved the transfer of 10,000 preferred shares in the company.


Librarian Howard Manning now had his own half-hour musical over CKEY four nights a week. Keith Sandy was on the air at CKEY.

Jack Kent Cooke, president of CKEY and publisher of New Liberty Magazine, purchased a large interest in the Toronto Maple Leaf Baseball Club and was now president of that organization.

Ernest O. (Ernie) Swan left CKEY where he had been chief engineer since joining the station (then CKCL) on May 1, 1930. He had now opened up his own business.


Mona Gould hosted “Listen Ladies”. Marietta Pukara was named head of publicity, succeeding Bill Campbell who moved on the Jack Cooke’s magazine division.


Newsman Fred Cripps was now at CKXL in Calgary where he became news director.

Hockey broadcaster and CKFH owner Foster Hewitt charged that CKEY and its sportscasters had pirated broadcasts of hockey games on which he had exclusive rights. He said proof of the charge was contained in tape recordings of broadcasts made over both CKEY and CKFH. Hewitt said he had faked penalties in some of his broadcasts from rink-side of the Leaf’s away from home Sunday night games…seconds later the fakes were heard over CKEY. The charge culminated a heated controversy over how Jack Cooke’s CKEY and its two sportscasters – Joe Crysdale and Hal Kelly – were able to air reconstructed hockey games in distant NHL cities and got the details on the air only seconds after a rink-side broadcaster’s version was heard. Cooke told the CBC Board of Governors that he and his men were prepared to swear they don’t listen in on Hewitt’s broadcasts and use his information. A bit of history of reconstructed hockey broadcasting in Toronto – CKEY started airing out of town Sunday night games of the Leafs in 1946. A Western Union telegrapher was hired to tap out the information from the arena which travelled by wire to a CN telegrapher at CKEY who then put the Morse code into English. Kelly would sort out these facts and pass them on to Crysdale, who coloured them up and put them on the air. Crowd noises would be simulated by a recording with the volume adjusted to fit the action. Things went along this way for seven years then the Western Union telegrapher was barred from most, and eventually all, NHL arenas because of a league ruling that barred wired reports. After that, it was said the sportscasters tried to reconstruct games from press reports coming over teletype from the U.S. news services. However, these reports ran up to 30 minutes behind the play, which was much too slow for CKEY because by then Hewitt was broadcasting over his own station – CKFH – a play-by-play direct from the arena. 

Approval was given for the transfer of 1 and 35/100ths preferred shares in Toronto Broadcasting Co. Ltd.


Announcer Mike Cashin passed away. 

Hurricane Hazel hit southern Ontario between October 15 and 17. After he finished his regular 8 p.m. Friday show, Mickey Lester went home as usual. After listening to CKEY for a bit and hearing what was going on, he called the station and told the staff on duty to ready a mobile unit as he was going out to cover the storm. Lester went out to the streets with technician Johnny Beam and covered events for the station.


Bill Todd, former CKEY account executive, became manager of CKOY in Ottawa.


On January 6, CKEY added The Lawrence Welk Show. It would air from 2:05 to 2:30 p.m. and run for 26 weeks. 

CKEY was operating on 580 kHz with power of 5,000 day and 1,000 watts at night and used different day and night directional patterns. CKEY was an independent station with no network affiliation. Ownership of Toronto Broadcasting Co. Ltd. – J. K. Cooke 97.0%, Mrs. B. J. Cooke 2.4%, R. E. Cooke 0.1%, K. D. Haywood 0.1%, H. E. Cooke 0.1%, W. Zimmerman 0.3%. 

Jack Kent Cooke was president of the company while Hal E. Cooke was CKEY’s manager. Donald W. Insley was program director and Edmund Houston was music director. Jack Oldham was news director and Joe Crysdale was sports director. Allan K. Taylor was chief engineer and Roy Lyttle was chief operator.

CKEY’s on-air time: Stu Kenney (Musical Clock, 6-9), Jay & Ginger (9-10), Keith Sandy (Make Believe Ballroom, 10-noon), Martin Silburt (noon-2), Russ Thompson (2-5), Keith Sandy (5-8), Mickey Lester (8-9), Unknown (9-11), Gerry Myers (Myers Till Midnight 11-12 and the All Night House Party from 12-6). Richard Scott was a newscaster.

CHUM adopted a Top 50 music format on May 27. CKEY decided to go after the same audience later in the year.

CKEY announcers late in the year: Stu Kenney (6-9), Larry Thiessen (9-12), Martin Silburt (12-3), Jim Corey (3-6), Brian Skinner (6-9), Keith Sandy (9-12) and Ron Dunn (12-6).


Carl Banas joined to host On the Town from 9:00-11:00 p.m. Joe Crysdale did news. 

In March of 1957 the Ontario Government went after the Toronto Telegram for publishing on Sundays. It also went after the CBC and CKEY for broadcasting news and ads on Sundays. The province considered these to be violations of the Lord’s Day Act. The CBC claimed that being an agent of the Queen and a crown corporation, it was not bound by the act. The Ontario Court of Appeal ruled in January of this year that the act did apply and was binding on Her Majesty (the CBC). The CBC planned to appeal the ruling. 

CKEY’s Hal Cooke opposed CKAR Huntsville’s application to operate on 590 kHz and increase power, because the changes would knock out the possibility of a night-time power increase for CKEY. While at the CBC hearing on the matter, CKEY was criticized for its lack of live programming. The Board wondered if this was due to a lack of money or lack of available live talent. Cooke pointed to CKEY’s rating figures as proof that his station was pleasing the greater part of the Toronto audience. 

Jack Turrell left CKEY as sales manager to become general manager at Ottawa’s CKOY. He was replaced at CKEY by Jim Armstrong who for the past six years had been sales manager at Liberty Magazine. The magazine and both radio stations were owned by Jack Kent Cooke. 

According to Elliott-Haynes CKEY had a total of 795,629 adult listeners every day.

Federal approval was given for the change of licensee name from Toronto Broadcasting Co. Ltd. to Frybrook Ltd. There was no change of control.

Jim Armstrong was CKEY’s commercial manager (brother of CHUM’s commercial manager, Wes Armstrong).

The CBC appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada to reverse the judgement of the Ontario Courts that the CBC must stand trial on charges of violating the Lord’s Day Act by broadcasting news on Sundays. Also charged were the Toronto Telegram, Toronto Daily Star, The Globe & Mail, and Radio Station CKEY. Charges against these companies were pending the outcome of the the CBC’s appeal.

With the Board of Broadcast Governors replacing the CBC as regulator, many parties were awaiting the lifting of the TV ban…in Toronto one channel was available and the following parties had plans to file applications: Joel Aldred of Fifeshire Productions; John Bassett (publisher of the Toronto Telegram and head of Baton Broadcast Inc.); Spence Caldwell; Jack Kent Cooke (CKEY); Famous Players Canadian Corp.; Foster Hewitt (CKFH) and Standard Radio Ltd. (CFRB).


Hal Kelly (sports) left the station. Duff Roman joined. 


Announcers included Stu Kenney, Larry Theissen, Martin Silbert, Jim Corey, Brian Skinner, Mickey Lester, Ron Dunn, Danny Roman, and Mel Miller. Joe Crysdale was on-air at CKEY.

Jack Kent Cooke’s Consolidated Frybrook Industries was among the many applicants for channel 9 – for operation of Toronto’s second television station. The BBG awarded the licence to Baton Aldred Rogers Broadcasting Ltd. (CFTO-TV)

The Board of Broadcast Governors announced that it planned to study CKEY’s licence in view of Jack Kent Cooke’s application for American citizenship. Cooke did become a U. S. citizen. Things had not been going his way in Canada for some time. At age 47, he owned CKEY, two magazines (including Saturday Night), the Maple Leaf baseball club and some manufacturing firms. He had been trying to sell Saturday Night for a number of years with no luck. He also wanted to build a communications empire in Canada but was recently turned down in attempting to obtain a licence for a new Toronto television station. Last year, CKEY’s licence was renewed for only two years because the Board did not approve of Cooke’s programming philosophy. Cooke had changed CKEY’s format to a kind of wall-to-wall music format – The Sweet Sound of the ‘60’s to try and impress the Board of Broadcast Governors in his bid for the television licence. When the TV licence bid failed, he turned CKEY’s format back to Top 40. Cooke had already begun investing in the U. S., but his luck wasn’t all that great there either. Late last year, the Federal Communications Commission had put off the renewal of the licence for KRLA-AM in Pasadena, California. KRLA had been purchased by Donald Cooke, with financial backing from brother, Jack. Donald had been a U. S. citizen since 1947. The FCC was not happy about Jack’s involvement in KRLA as he was not an American citizen. The regulator was also critical of KRLA’s programming.

Viki Page was at CKEY. Brian Skinner was now CKEY’s promotion manager after a year of doing his own 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. show. He was previously with CKY Winnipeg. 

After 16 years at CKEY, Joe Crysdale left the station for the sports department of the soon to open CFTO-TV. Archie Cunningham passed away in December. Between 1930 and 1943, his program, Archie’s Morning Melodies, aired on the old CKCL (CKEY). 


Jack Kent Cooke sold CKEY to Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd., a consortium consisting of the Toronto Globe & Mail newspaper, Westinghouse Electric Corp. of the U. S., Canadian Westinghouse Co. Ltd. (Canadian subsidiary of Westinghouse Electric), and a group of Toronto lawyers. The station would be managed by Westinghouse.

Studios were relocated at 247 Davenport Road.

In the fall, CKEY’s new owners switched the sation’s format to Middle of the Road – Something for Everybody. 

Bill Brady, Glen Walters, Ray Starr and Brad Crandell were now at CKEY. Woodman & Rich joined for afternoons. Doc Stone had been in morning drive and was replaced by Bill Brady. Gene Kirby was added to the air staff. 


CKEY received approval from the Board of Broadcast Governors to change its frequency from 580 kHz to 590 kHz. As a result of the approved change, the station would move its transmitter site from Scarborough to Gibralter Point on Toronto Island. Construction at the new site began in the summer. The main goal of the changes was to give night-time service to the north-west part of Metropolitan Toronto. Such improvements were not possible on 580 kHz because of protections that had to be offered to co-channel CKPR in Fort William.

In the autumn, CKEY returned to a Top 40 format to take on CHUM. 

Lee Vogel was now an announcer at CKEY. Bob Crabb joined the news department. 


Late in the year, CKEY tried to have the best of both worlds programming-wise. A Middle of the Road format was programmed between midnight and 6:00 p.m. The station would go after the young audience between 6:00 p.m. and midnight. It was an attempt to grab listeners from top-rated stations CFRB during the day and CHUM at night. They called the new format “Double Personality”. Construction of CKEY’s new Toronto Island transmitter site was completed in December. Bill Brady was morning man at CKEY. Lee Vogel did the mid-day shift. Duff Roman handled afternoon drive. J.P. Finnigan was on the air in the evening, and Big G. Walters did the all night show. The news department included Bob Crabb, Larry Stout, Ron Smith and Ray Erickson. Scott Cameron and Norm Perry were also heard on CKEY. Dave Mickey joined CKEY for the 7-11 p.m. shift in May and left four months later. Al Boliska joined from CHUM to host the morning show and Bill Brady moved to mid-days. Stuart C. Brandy was appointed General Sales Manager of CKEY as of January 1. The appointment was made by Douglas C. Trowell, Vice-President and General Manager of Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. Brandy was most recently Executive Vice President and General Manager of CJSP Leamington.


In the first week of January, CKEY moved up a notch on the dial – from 580 kHz to 590 kHz, using the new Gibralter Point transmitter site. The new site was unique in that the transmitter building was on the island and four “Texas tower” type antennas and associated equipment were located off shore, in Lake Ontario. Because of the proximaty of the Island Airport, the towers were limited to 150′ above runway level. Top loading and sectionalized towers were used. The array of towers extended 1,600 feet out into the lake. Power on 590 kHz was 5,000 watts (single directional pattern for day and night operation). The move of CKEY from 580 to 590 kHz resulted in CKAR Huntsville having to move from 590 to 630 kHz. CKEY financed CKAR’s move. CKEY commenced scheduled broadcasting on 590 kHz on January 6. Later in that year, CKEY applied to the BBG to increase daytime power to 10,000 watts. Night power would remain 5,000 watts. The same site and towers would be used but there would be different directional patterns for day and night operation. CKEY abandoned “hit” music in favour of “good music and more music” (middle of the road). Maurice Rapkin died on December 20. He was once an announcer and then manager of CKEY when it was still known as CKCL. He later became known as the jingle king as he was the first to introduce singing commercials to Canadian radio. Announcer line-up: Al Boliska (6-10), John Dolan (10-noon), Lee Vogel (noon-3), Duff Roman (3-6), J.P. Finnegan (6-9) and Glen Walters (9-12). Bob Crabb was in the news department. Lee Vogel left for WKBW in Buffalo.


John D. Campbell was president of Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. Doug Trowell was CKEY’s general manager. Stuart Brandy was commercial manager; Stan Larke, production manager and copy chief; Gene Kirby, program director; John Dolan, morning man; Godfrey Hudson, news and sports director; Harvey M. Clarke, promotions manager; and William R. Onn was chief engineer. A tentative sales agreement was reached on November 9. Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. would be sold by the Toronto Globe & Mail, Westinghouse Electric Corp. and Canadian Westinghouse Co. Ltd. to Maclean-Hunter Publishing Co. Ltd. Donald Hunter, president of Maclean-Hunter said his company would acquire 100% of CKEY and it would be held directly by M-H and not by its radio subsidiary, Great Lakes Broadcasting Ltd., owner of CHYM-AM-FM Kitchener, CFCO-AM Chatham and CFOR-AM in Orillia. Government approval was still required for the sale and that was not expected until the spring of 1966. Announcers: John Dolan (6-10), Keith Rich (10-2), Norm Perry (2-6), John Wilson (6-7), Jim Muir (7-11), Earl Mann (11-?). Fred Napoli joined CKEY. Erik Thorson was in the news department. Duff Roman left for CHUM. On December 1, the Minister of Transport granted permission for the transfer of all the issued shares of capital stock in Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd., as follows: 493 common and 500 first preferred shares from Canadian Westinghouse Co. Ltd. to Maclean-Hunter Publishing Co. Ltd. 1998 common and 2000 first preferred shares from The Globe and Mail Ltd. to Maclean-Hunter. 499 common, 500 first preferred, 4000 second preferred and 8000 third preferred shares from Westinghouse Electric Corp. to Maclean Hunter. 250 common and 250 first preferred shares from Senator J.B. Aird, Q.C. to Maclean Hunter. 1 common share from Mr. D.I.W. Bruce to Maclean-Hunter. 1 common share from Mr. J.D. campbell to Maclean-Hunter. 1 common share from J.L. Cooper to Maclean-Hunter. 250 common and 250 first preferred shares from Mr. J.G. Edison, Q.C. to Maclean-Hunter. 1 common share from Mr. G.G. Main to Maclean-Hunter. 250 common and 250 first preferred shares from the Estate of J.S.D. tory to Maclean-Hunter. 1 common share from Mr. R. Howard Webster to Maclean-Hunter. 250 common and 250 first preferred shares from Mr. W.P. Wilder to Maclean-Hunter. 1 common qualifying share from Canadian Westinghouse Co. Ltd. to Mr. Donald G. Campbell. 1 common qualifying share from Canadian Westinghouse to Mr. D.C. Trowell. 1 common qualifying share from Canadian Westinghouse to Mr. Ronald A. McEachern. 1 common qualifying share from Canadian Westinghouse to Mr. Floyd S. Chalmers. 1 common qualifying share from Canadian Westinghouse to Mr. Donald F. Hunter.


Maclean-Hunter Publishing Co. Ltd. received federal approval to purchase all of the issued shares of capital stock in Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd., owner of 590 CKEY. Keith Rich, Bob Crabb (news), and Fred Napoli were on the air at CKEY. Joe Morgan joined CKEY from CKFH. CKEY proposed to increase its daytime power to 25,000 watts (night power would remain 10,000 watts). The Department of Transport denied the proposal because the radiation patern would not provide adequate protection to co-channel WARM in Scranton, PA and to CKTB St. Catharines on 610 kHz. CKEY began doing traffic reports from the air.


Fred Napoli left for CKFM. Brad Franklin was doing news at CKEY. Douglas C. Trowell was general manager. Rick Campbell was morning man. He started doing his show (6-10 a.m.) from the city’s tallest building – 54th floor of the Toronto-Dominion Centre. Bob Carter did helicopter traffic reports. Peter Crampton was morning show operator.


CKEY received permission to increase power to 10,000 watts full-time, using five 150 foot top loaded towers at the same antenna site. Norm Perry hosted “Perryscope” on CKEY and also did on-air work at CFTO-TV. Jim Hunt did sports. Harvey Clarke was promotion director. CKEY began using twin helicopters (“pair in the air”) for traffic reporting. CHFI-AM-FM also added a similar service this year but CKEY was first with Monday thru Friday reports. Former model and photographer Dini Petty reports from one copter, piloted by Jim McLelland. Bob Carter, the only pilot-announcer in Canada, broadcast from the other unit. CKEY had been doing traffic reports from the air since 1966. Gene Kirby was CKEY’s program director. In commenting on the station’s music format, he said that in November of 1963, the station was owned by Westinghouse and the Globe & Mail and was rated #2 in Canada with its rock format. The following year, there was a down trend in audience so CKEY went after an older audience by splitting programming to incorporate Middle of the Road in the daytime while staying rock at night. This continued for several months. After extensive research and before Maclean-Hunter took over, CKEY went to Middle of the Road, full-time.


Donald G. Campbell, president of Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. announced the appointment of Stuart C. Brandy as vice president of sales for the company. Brandy had been general manager of CKEY since 1963. The appointment was effective January 1. On February 3, CKEY opened its own weather office with staff meteorologist Morris Kestin. Slogan: More Music! Good Music! 590/CKEY Music! CKEY subscribed to the NewsRadio news service, started by Stephens & Towndrow in September of 1968. NewsRadio received news content from CBS in New York.


Charles Templeton and Pierre Berton moved to CKEY from CFRB on September 7. They had been doing their daily “Dialogue” on CFRB since March 16, 1966. CFRB general manager Jack Dawson said ‘RB was not able to match ‘EY’s better offer and time slot. CKEY, a Middle of the Road music station, had big concerns with the CRTC’s new radio programming policies, including the requirement to play 30% Canadian content. CKEY had dropped hit music in 1964 and for the next five years it carefully researched music targeting 25 to 49 year olds. Management felt this demographic represented the most potential for the station. The “good music and more music” (MOR) format was adopted without any fanfare. In 1969-70, CKEY advertising was extensive in repositioning the station, providing it with a new image and new audience. CKEY aimed to become the station for listeners – housewives in particular – who were younger than CFRB’s audience but older than the CHUM and CKFH rock fans. The station had spent a lot of money and effort over the years on its new image and the CRTC programming regulations (deadline for compliance of July 18, 1971) were going to make things difficult for CKEY’s format because there was a lack of good quality Canadian-made records. It was felt by management that in time, the 30% CanCon level could be met, but not in the short time left before the changes went into effect. Douglas Trowell was Vice President and General Manager. Harvey Clarke was Advertising and Research Manager. Gene Kirby was Program Director. Stuart Brandy was Vice President of Sales.


On April 8, CKEY was given approval to move its studios and offices from 247 Davenport Rd. to the 25th floor of the Toronto Star Building, #1 Yonge Street. The lessor was Olympia & York Developments Ltd. In making application for the move, CKEY told the CRTC that there would be no changes in programming but there should be an improved quality of presentation and reliability of facilities. Station management also said broadcasting would continue from the existing facility until such time as the new facility was thoroughly checked and tested. The switch from the old to new facility would be instantaneous with no down-time.


On Mrch 23, Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. had its application to purchase CHIC-FM (Brampton) from CHIC Radio Ltd. denied. Shoreacres had proposed to have some of CHIC-FM’s programming originate from the CKEY studios in Toronto. Shoreacres said it would continue to operate CHIC-FM for an interim period from its existing location with a predominantly classical music format. Future plans included a power increase, moving the antenna site to Toronto and broadcasting news programming 24 hours a day. The application was denied because it would mean completely altering the purpose for which the station was originally licenced in 1959 – namely, to serve Brampton. CKEY moved its studios from the Branding’s Brewery Building at 247 Davenport Road, to the new Toronto Star Building at #1 Yonge Street.


Pete McGarvey

Keith Rich and Elwood Glover were CKEY announcers. The news department included Charles Templeton, Pete McGarvey, Joe Morgan, and Bob Crabb. McGarvey joined CKEY from CFCO Chatham. Elwood Glover joined the station from CBLT-TV.


In August, CKEY began broadcasting at 10,000 watts full-time on 590 kHz. Two new 10 kW (Collins 820 E/F) transmitters and a combiner with associated equipment were used. Each transmitter would operate at half power into the combiner to provide 10 kW into the antenna system.


Shoreacres Broadcasting was denied an FM licence for Toronto. It had planned to launch an all-news format. The licence was awarded to David Ruskin (CKO-FM). The proposed CKEY sister FM would have the call sign CFYI-FM. It’s primary news source would be the co-owned Newsradio network. This was not CKEY’s first attempt to get an FM licence in Toronto. The re-organization of the Maclean-Hunter group of companies (16 cable systems and the CFCN/Shoreacres/Great Lakes broadcasting group) was approved by the CRTC. Reservations were expressed regarding the nearly 10% equity of the Toronto-Dominion Bank in the new company, Maclean-Hunter Holdings Ltd. The shares had been held by Hunco and D. F. Hunter. Effective control of Maclean-Hunter Ltd. was now held by the directors and senior managerment. Chief engineer Bill Onn reported that the new CN Tower was “a very fine lightning rod.” Since it went up, CKEY had only suffered a couple of lightning strikes at its Toronto Island antenna site.


By this time, Shoreacres Broadcasting Co. Ltd. was known as CKEY Ltd. CKEY’s sister news operation – Newsradio – contracted with TransCanada Telephone System for a full-time voice quality network to relay voice reports to 24 stations in 22 cities from Vancouver to Cornerbrook. It will also provide a five city news gathering network to feed reports to Newsradio’s editors in Toronto and Ottawa. Gene Kirby was on the air at CKEY. Grant Dunham was a news producer. Robert Payne and reporter Sam Bornstein were now in the news department. Tayler Parnaby was news director. Stuart C. Brandy was vice president and general manager.


On-air: Keith Rich (mornings), Elwood Glover (mid-days), Pat Murray (mid-days) and Gene Kirby (afternoons). Bill Robinson was heard on the weekends. Traffic reporters: Bob Rice and Dianne Pepper. Commentators: Stephen Lewis, Tom Gould, Pierre Berton & Charles Templeton (Dialogue). The news department included: Joe Morgan, Bob Crabb, Pete McGarvey, Adhemar Altieri (reporter), Jim Maclean, Bernie MacNamee, Phil Godin, Jim Hunt (sports), Grant Dunham (news producer), Robert Payne, John Yoannou (reporter), Sam Bornstein (reporter), Tayler Parnaby (news director), Bob McMillan (assignment editor), Karina Laynala (reporter), Howard English, Bob McMillan, Dennis Woolings (reporter), and Christine Gaynor (reporter). Jim Hamm was music director. Jim Kidd was appointed program director. Bill Robinson joined the station. Ken Kirkley left for CKOY Ottawa. Elwood Glover took over the 9 to noon show. Stephen Lewis joined for commentary. Jim Maclean left for CKOY. Former CKEY personality Jim Corey passed away. Veteran traffic reporter Eddie Luther joined CKEY from CFTR-CHFI. He had also worked at CFRB in the past. Luther is licensed to fly both fixed and rotary wing craft.


Weekday line-up: 5:00 Keith Rich, 9:00 Elwood Glover, 12:00 Pat Murray, 3:00 Gene Kirby, 7:00 Frank Cantar, 12:00 John Woodbridge. Weekends: Eddie Luther, Jim Paulson. News: Phil Godin, Pete McGarvey, Ian Brownlea, Joe Morgan, Dan Turner, Robert Payne, Frank Allinson, Tom Gould, Bob Crabb, Jim Maclean, Tayler Parnaby (news director), Bob McMillan (assignment editor), John Yoannou (reporter), Adhemar Altieri (reporter), Lyne Gordon (consumer reporter), Sam Bornstein (reporter). Commentary: Stephen Lewis, Pierre Berton & Charles Templeton, Tom Gould. Traffic: Dianne Pepper and Bob Rice. Sports: Jim Hunt and Brad Diamond. The program line-up changed later in the year: 5:00 Keith Rich, 10:00 Pat Murray, 2:00 Eddie Luther, 7:00 Bill Robinson. (Elwood Glover, Gene Kirby and Frank Cantar left the station). At one time, CKEY had two turbine powered Hughes 500 helicopters for traffic reporting, but now used a pair of single engine Cessnas. The change was made this year to reduce costs.


In January, CKEY Limited and CKOY Limited (Ottawa), both owned by Maclean-Hunter Ltd., amalgamated to become KEY Radio Ltd. William Monopoli was doing financial reports for CKEY. Howard English was a news executive with the station. Harvey M. Clarke was promoted to vice president, advertising and research. Al Leary died at age 71. At one time, he was the voice of the Toronto Maple Leaf baseball team and was manager of CKEY when it was known as CKCL. On-air: Keith Rich (6-10), Pat Murray (10-2), Eddie Luther (2-7), Bill Robinson (evenings), Dick Young (overnights). Traffic: Dianne Pepper, Bob Rice. Commentary: Pierre Berton & Charles Templeton, Stephen Lewis. Sports: Jim Hunt, Brad Diamond. News: Taylor Parnaby (news director), Ian Brownlea, Frank Allinson, Tom Gould, Dan Turner, Pete McGarvey, Jim Maclean, Bob Crabb, Robert Payne, Bob McMillan (assignment editor). Reporters: John Yoannou, Adhemar Altieri, Sam Bornstein. John Gilbert’s “Nightalk” premiered August 4, overnights. The program originated with CKEY but also aired on a number of other Maclean-Hunter radio stations. Dick Young moved to weekends from overnights.


Jim Paulson left CKEY for CKQT-FM Oshawa. Taylor (Hap) Parnaby left CKEY and News Radio for CKO-FM…he took Ian Brownlea and Howard English with him. English had been named to take over from Hap at EY but he decided to leave too. Rick Miller became news editor at CKEY. Key Radio Ltd. got a net licence to carry the John Gilbert show over CKEY, CKOY and nine other station, including CFCN Calgary and CHNS Halifax, also for hourly newscasts from midnight to 6:00 a.m. over eight Ontario stations, plus CHNS/CHFX and CJCB Sydney. Howard English was named news director. He joined the CKEY in 1971 following graduation from the University of Toronto. Following duties with CKEY as political, feature and investigative reporter, English became assignment editor, and was promoted to managing editor in 1978. Adhemar Altieri left and was replaced by Leslie Jones. Eddie Luther left for CKQT-FM Oshawa. Richard Miller replaced Taylor Parnaby as news director effective August 10.


Doug Trowell was appointed vice president, Key Radio. He also continued as president and general manager of CKEY. John Gilbert was now at CKO-FM. Eddie Luther left CKEY. Paul Kellogg joined CKEY from CFRB. Phil Godin left CKEY news for CKO-FM. CKEY played very briefly with a format that mixed talk/news programming with the existing Middle of the Road music format. Keith Rich was now heard between 5:30 and 9:30 a.m., followed by Pat Murray, 9:30 to 1:30. Rescue Radio aired between 1:30 and 2:00 p.m. The music returned between 2 and 4 p.m. with Paul Kellogg (had been with CFRB). Frank Allinson hosted NewsRadio PM between 4 and 6 p.m. Mark Hebscher followed from 6-8 with Sports Talk. Bill Robinson was heard from 8-midnight and Jim Hamm, overnights. Talk hosts for Rescue Radio included Sherry Rochester and Mark Cullen. Scott Walker later took over the evening show. Rescue Radio was gone later in the year but NewsRadio PM and Sports Talk remained. The music format was now Middle of the Road/ Adult Contemporary. Program director Jim Kidd who hadn’t been on the air for some 8 years, took over one of Pat Murray’s talk shows, and a 90-minute talk show featuring a psychologist was added. Ottawa journalist Charlie Lynch hosted Soap Box. Commentator Tom Gould left at the expiration of his Newsradio contract. Kathy Lynas left CKEY news for Newsradio in Ottawa.


Douglas C. Trowell was named president of Key Radio Ltd. and Michael Mangialardo became vice president and general manager of 590 CKEY. CKEY let go some staff members: Harvey Clarke (promotions manager) and newsmen Dave Prendergast and Fred Cripps.

CKEY applied for a power increase to 50,000 watts and a move of the transmitter site from Toronto Islands to south-east of Grimsby (using nine towers). Standard Broadcasting opposed these changes, fearing interference to CKTB on 610 kHz (St. Catharines). CKEY promised to correct any problems the changes might create for CKTB. The changes proposed by CKEY were approved by the CRTC.

Long-time news commentator Joe Morgan passed away November 15. CKEY had let him go just two weeks earlier. He was 76.


The nightly two-hour “Sports Talk” with Mark Hebscher was cancelled. Rick Hallson became CKEY’s program director. He had been with CJCL. Hallson replaced Jim Kidd who moved to CKQT Oshawa. Gene Stevens was the station’s new public relations manager. Chris Mayberry was now doing sports at ‘EY.


On January 1, CKEY adopted a soft rock/golden oldies format.

CKEY started work on the new 50,000 watt transmitter site in April. Chief engineer Bill Onn hoped to have it operational by the first of the year. CKEY was one of three Toronto AM stations moving their transmitter site to the other side of Lake Ontario. Both CKEY and CFTR (680) were moving to Grimsby, more than 30 miles across the lake from Toronto. The changes allowed for the stations to increase power to 50,000 watts and beam unobstructed signals across the lake towards the metropolitan area. CKEY’s existing site was at Hanlon’s Point on Toronto Island. There were five towers on 70 acres of land. The station was operating with 10,000 watts full-time (authorized for 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night). The new site near Grimsby was on 260 acres of land, using 9 towers for both day and night operation. At the new site, CKEY would use a Harris MW 50-C transmitter. For standby operation, two Collins 820E/F 10 kw transmitters would be combined for 20 kw power. CKEY proposed using the Motorola AM stereo system. Projected cost of project: $3.5 million. The engineering team consisted of William R. Onn, David B. Craig, Robin Jackson, Brian Hinz, and consulting engineer J.G. Elder.

Bill Houston died at age 72. He was a stock broker when Jack Kent Cooke hired him to be publicity director of CKEY. He later went on to be GM of Cooke’s Toronto Maple Leaf baseball club.

John Drohan was named sales manager while Dennis Colameco became sales supervisor.

Brad Diamond was doing sports at CKEY. Dan Williamson was on the air at CKEY. Steve Wilson and Leslie Jones were in the news department. Bill Robinson left CKEY. Joe Andrews (Malysa) joined CKEY from Winnipeg’s CHIQ-FM. He hosted the midnight to 5:30 a.m. shift on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Joe also handled the 6 p.m. to midnight show on weekends. On-air: Keith Rich (5-10), Dick Young (10-2), Dan Williamson (2-7), Bill Robinson (7-12) and Jim Hamm (12-5). Weekends: Rick Hunter, Rick Halson, Ken Kirkley, Andy Neill, Ross Carlin. Dan Williamson joined from CFTR. Rick Hunter and Ken Kirkley had been with CJCL. On July 18, Lee Marshall returned to CKEY to join the announce staff. He had been at the station as an operator in 1972-73, then left for CFCH North Bay. Marshall, who was last at CHUM-AM, took over 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., John Rode was heard from 7-midnight and Joe Andrews was doing overnights. Keith Rich and Dan Williamson were still heard at the earlier listed times. Mike Mangilardo was general manager, Gene Stevens was program director and Jim Maclean was news director.


John Yoannou, CKEY police reporter, became communications advisor to the office of the Ontario attorney-general.


CKEY increased power to 50,000 watts, using the new Grimsby transmitter site. The station used the same directional pattern for day and night operation.

Douglas C. Trowell retired as president of Key Radio Ltd. He had been associated with 590/CKEY for 24 of the 39 years he was involved in broadcasting. Trowell was the CCBA’s Broadcaster of the Year in 1976 and served as a director on the boards of CAB, BBM and BN. Joe Andrews left CKEY for CHEX in Peterborough. Newsman Richard Fallis left CKEY.


Newsman John Yoannou left to become media relations officer with Peel Regional Police. Sportscaster Jim Hunt retired from CKEY. He would continue his sports columns in the Sun newspapers.


Two former CKEY announcers passed away: Pat Murray (55), of cancer; and John Edgar (Eddie) Guest, at the age of 82. Keith Rich left for CJCL and was replaced by Jay Nelson from CHFI-FM. Rich & Nelson did a joint morning show on May 30, then Nelson went on his own June 2. Jim Hunt left CKEY. Ian Brownlea returned to the station. Bob Van Dyke joined CKEY from CHYM Kitchener. 1986-87 CKEY vice president and general manager Michael Mangialardo was named to Key Radio’s executive team. Donalee Williams was now in CKEY’s news department – from CHWO Oakville. CKEY newsman Bob Payne was appointed to the Ontario Film Reivew Board.


CKO acquired Newsradio from Maclean Hunter’s Key Radio Ltd. The news audio service, based at CKEY Toronto, was established 18 years ago. Key Radio president Steve Harris said despite Newsradio’s successful track record (from 70 to 120 subscribers in the past year), it remained impractical for Key to operate a full-scale national news service. The all-news concept in Canada was developed by Taylor Parnaby, who co-founded Newsradio. He joined CKO (from CKEY) after the proposal for a national radio news network was licensed (excluding CKEY’s plan for a local all-news station). Toronto stations CKO-FM and CKEY (AM) proposed to swap frequencies. CKO would be paid $4 million to move to 590 kHz, allowing CKEY to move to 99.1 MHz on the FM band. The deal would give CKO the money it needed to start operations in Regina, Winnipeg, Saint John and St. John’s. Vice president and general manager Mike Mangialardo left CKEY to form an ad agency with Peter Langmuir (Langmuir Mangialardo Advertising). David Ouchterlony died at the age of 73. He had been an early broadcaster with CBC Television and hosted radio programs at CJBC, CKFH, CKEY, CFRB and CFMX-FM over the years. Dave Lyman joined CKEY on October 1 as general manager, replacing Michael Mangialardo. Lyman had been with CKNG-FM in Edmonton as GM. Donalee Williams joined the news department. News director Jim Maclean left. Al Gibson (news) joined from CKSL London. He replaced Maclean as news director and had held that position at the London station. Dan Williamson left for CKFM-FM and was replaced by John Rode until Terry Steele joined from CKFM-FM. Jay Nelson left for the new CJEZ-FM, replaced by John Rode. Bob Van Dyke was shifted to afternoon drive. Pete McGarvey retired December 31. Rick Hunter left CKEY. Former CKEY sportscaster Marty Kingston was now at CJMO-FM Moncton.


On April 25, the CRTC turned down proposals by CKO Radio Partnership and Key Radio Ltd. that would have seen CKO-FM-2 and CKEY-AM (both Toronto) swap dial positions. CKO’s all-news format would have moved to 590 kHz and CKEY’s adult contemporary format would have moved to 99.1 MHz. It made sense to make better use of the two channels by moving the music format of CKEY to FM and the CKO news format to AM. The CRTC was not impressed that CKO would use the money to build four stations for which it had licenses. The Commission also said that the format that CKEY had (and would move to FM) was not substantially different from what was already available on FM in Toronto. Announcers: John Rode, Lee Marshall, Terry Steele, Rob Wreford, Deanna Nason, Bill Kelly, Bob Van Dyke. Rosalie Tremblay, the music director at CKLW Windsor in the “Big 8” days, was now working at CKEY (as music director). On June 20, CKEY became known as “Toronto’s Classic Hits – Key 590”.


Mike Cooper became CKEY’s morning man. J. Paul Firminger, vice president of KEY Radio engineering, announced the appointment of David Haydu to engineering manager for CKEY and its new sister station, CFNY-FM. In addition to his day to day responsibilities, Haydu would also be involved with studio design and equipment layout and installation of state of the art equipment at the proposed CKEY-CFNY broadcasting complex. Kevin Dent moved from the KEY Engineering Group, to become chief engineer at CKEY. On-air: John Rode (6-9), Lee Marshall (9-2), Terry Steele (2-6), Deanna Nason (6-10), David Sinclair (late evenings). Others: Don Berns, Bobby van Dyke, Kelly Rose, Rob Wreford, Bill Edwards, Randy Tayler. Traffic: Jacquie Gauthier, Kerry Newhoff. News: Al Gibson, Bob Crabb, Lynne Thomas, Rob Graham, Don McDonald, Cal Johnstone, Kathy Miller, Tom Otto, Darren Weir, Chris Mayberry (sports), Glen Crouter (events), Jacquie Gauthier (entertainment). Lee Marshall left for CKFM-FM and was replaced by John Donabie from CKFM in February. John Donabie did mornings until Mike Cooper took over August 8 from CFTR. John Rode left for CHUM in September. Kelly Rose joined in October. Don Berns left for CFNY-FM and Randy Tayler joined from CFNY-FM – both in November. Tom Otto joined from CFTR. Al Gibson left for Broadcast News. David (Malcolm) Siclair joined in December from CHYM Kitchener.


H.E. (Hal) Blackadar was named president of KEY Rdio Ltd. Veteran CKEY journalist Bob Crabb died of cancer at age 61. He had spent 28 years at the station until June of this year when he was diagnosed with the illness. In his 45 year career he also worked for stations in Hamilton and Montreal, covering the Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba for CKGM Montreal in 1961. Former CKCL (CKEY) chief engineer Ernie Swann passed away November 15 at age 85. He got in to broadcasting in 1927 and left radio when television arrived. KEY Radio Ltd. applied to the CRTC to relocate CKEY Toronto and CFNY Brampton/Toronto to a new facility in nearby Mississauga. CKEY’s studios were in downtown Toronto and CFNY’s were in suburban Brampton. On-air: Mike Cooper (6-10), John Donabie (10-2), Terry Steele (2-6), Deanna Nason (6-10), David Sinclair (10-2). Others: Jerry Archer, Kelly Rose, Bobby van Dyke, Randy Tayler. News: Don McDonald, Elaine McDonald, Rob Graham, Tom Otto, Bob Crabb, Kathy Miller, Cal Johnstone, Darren Weir, Donalee Williams, Charmain Mullings, Paul Bliss (reporter), Jim Bradbury (reporter), Glen Crouter (events), Chris Mayberry (sports), Liz Grogan (features), Jacquie Gauthier (entertainment/traffic), Lynn Thomas (entertainment/ traffic), Monica Desantis (traffic). Deanna Nason & Randy Tayler left for CHOG in July. David Sinclair replaced Nason in the 6-10 p.m. shift. Terry Williams was program director. Former CKEY personality Elwood Glover died November 14 at the age of 75.


Jerry Archer was now on air from 10pm-2am. One of the best-known sets of call letters in Canadian broadcasting vanished in mid-March. After some 46 years on Toronto’s AM dial, CKEY was replaced by CKYC. Key Radio Ltd. had changed the station’s format to country, so KEY 590 became known as COUNTRY 59. The actual change took place on March 16. CKYC Country 59 line-up: Mike Cooper (mornings) had left the station before the change and John Donabie took over the 6-10 a.m. time slot. When the format changed to country, Thomas, Rose and Steele left, along with music director Rosalie Tremblay. The new announcer line-up for CKYC: John Donabie (5:30-10), Stew Hill (joined April 15 from CJEZ-FM, 10-2), Terry McPhail and Bob Van Dyke hosted 2-7 p.m. (taking turns), Malcolm Sinclair (aka David Sinclair, 7-midnight) and Jerry Archer (12-5:30). Paul Savage was heard on weekends. News: Kathy Miller, Elaine McDonald, Rob Graham, Charmain Mullings, Cal Johnstone, Tom Otto, Darren Weir, Don McDonald. Traffic: Monica Desantis, Jacquie Gauthier, Eva Degiacinto. On April 22, Al Kingdon took over the mid-day show (10-2). He had been doing news as “J. Edward Stone” at CHOG 640. Brian Barker was noted doing weekends in June and Wes Atkinson was heard doing overnights in September. Cal Johnstone left in September for Standard Broadcast News. On September 25, John Donabie left Country 59, Al Kingdon moved from PM to AM Drive on September 26, Malcolm Sinclair moved from Evenings to PM Drive. Glen Crouter left for CFRB in October.

On February 11, the CRTC approved the applications by Key Radio Limited to amend the licences for CKEY Toronto and CFNY-FM Brampton, by relocating their studios to a new facility to be constructed in Mississauga (Peel Region). In support of these applications, Key Radio stated that an approval would enable the licensee to consolidate operations into its proposed community performance centre, which would include a community stage, audio workshop and the Canadian Artists and Programs on Satellite radio facilities. The Commission noted that this centre was part of the benefits package related to the acquisition of CFNY-FM by Maclean Hunter Limited and the subsequent amalgamation of CFNY-FM into Key Radio which was approved in 1989. Key Radio also indicated that the relocation of both studios to a common site would increase each station’s financial efficiency.


On-air: Al Kingdon (6-10), Stew Hill (10-2), Malcolm Sinclair (2-7), Jerry Archer (7-12), Phil Curran (12-6). Others: Bob van Dyke, Brian Barker. Bill Anderson joined for Mid-days and to be program director.


John Bartrem joined CKYC as general sales manager. He had been with co-owned CIWW-AM / CKBY-FM in Ottawa. Former CKYC (CKEY) announcer Terry Steele (Jim Stromberg) died August 13 at the age of 46. On-Air: Al Kingdon (5:30-10), Bill Anderson (10-2), Brian Barker (2-7), Jerry Archer (7-12), Pete Walker (12-5:30). Others: Bob van Dyke, Malcolm Sinclair, Terry Baker. Sheila Walsh was now doing traffic. Former CKEY announcer Eddie Luther died at 72 on February 16. November 3 exits: Al Kingdon (wound up at CHAM Hamilton), Bob van Dyke (went to CJEZ-FM), Sheila Walsh, Brian Barker, most of the news staff and the general manager. Bill Anderson took over morning drive and continued as program director. Jerry Archer remained in afternoon drive.


Rogers Communications purchased Maclean-Hunter Ltd. CKYC was sold to Telemedia Communications. In turn, Telemedia applied to move its programming on CJCL, 1430, to CKYC’s 590 frequency. Former CKEY announcer Gene Kirby (Gene J. Smith) died September 10, in his 64th year. On-air: Bill Anderson & Eva Degiacinto (6-10), Pete Walker (10-2), Jerry Archer (2-7), Country Music Radio (satellite). Don McDonald did news and Anita Carilla did traffic. Former CKEY personality Jay Nelson (Frank Coxe) died February 18. He was 57. Wes Atkinson joined for PM Drive. Malcolm Sinclair left in November for CKRU/CKWF-FM Peterborough.


On February 6, at 10:00 a.m., CKYC ceased country music programming and the sound of a ticking clock filled the next two hours of airtime. At 12:00 p.m., CJCL moved from 1430 to 590 kHz. CKYC moved from 590 to 1430. There was no local programming on 1430, simply material from Country Music Radio (satellite), news from BN and CTV Radio, and constant announcements reminding listeners that CJCL “The Fan” was now at 590 on the dial. The final line-up for CKYC Country 59: Bill Anderson & Eva Degiacinto (6-10), Pete Walker (10-2), Wes Atkinson (2-7) and Country Music Radio (satellite) the rest of the time. Stew Hillgrove was heard on weekends and Don McDonald did news. Bill Anderson was the final program director.


Telemedia reached a deal to sell CKYC 1430 to a company controlled by Y.B.C. Holdings Ltd. Y.B.C. owned 100% of Great Pacific Broadcasting (CJVB) and 50% of a new ethnic station licensed for Vancouver. Y.B.C.’s chairman, Thomas Fung, also controlled the Chinese-language Fairchild Television Ltd. CKYC would now broadcast in at least 15 languages, with Chinese programming dominating with a maximum of 66 hours per week. The purchase was approved by the CRTC.


CKYC became CHKT with mainly Chinese programming. The “HKT” in CHKT: Hong Kong Toronto. Former CKEY owner Jack Kent Cooke passed away at the age of 84.


Former CKEY personality Glenn Walters died December 9 at age 62.


Well known broadcaster, journalist and evangelist, Charles Templeton, passed away June 7, at age 85. He and Pierre Berton had hosted a commentary feature on the old CKEY. Former CKEY personality Stu Kenney (Wake Up Ontario) died December 7.


On November 20, Fairchild Radio Group Ltd. was granted a licence to operate a transitional digital radio undertaking, associated with its existing station CHKT. The undertaking used a transmitter located on the CN Tower. The transmitter operated on 1,454.560 MHz (DRB channel 2) with an effective isotropic radiated power of 5,084 watts.


By this time, CHKT was operating from studios and offices in Richmond Hill, at 135 East Beaver Creek Rd., Unit 8.


On August 13 the CRTC renewed the licence for CHKT Richmond Hill until August 31, 2014. One of the conditions of licence: During each broadcast week, the licensee shall provide programming directed to a minimum of 14 cultural groups in a minimum of 15 different languages.


Former CKEY newscaster Howard Cooney passed away on September 22. He was in his 89th year.


George Lee was promoted to President of Fairchild Radio from his Vice President/General Manager job at Fairchild Vancouver. Lee now had the larger responsibility of overseeing the stations in Toronto and Calgary as well.


Operations Supervisor Francis Law resigned from Fairchild Radio Richmond Hill on January 25.


Former CKEY announcer Frank Cantar passed away on February 13.


Former CKEY promotion/marketing manager Harvey M. Clarke passed away on February 12. He was 82. Allan Keith Taylor died at the age of 98. During the Second World War, he was with RCA Victor in Montreal, testing transmitters for the armed forces. At war’s end, he joined CJAD Montreal as chief engineer. He later moved to CKEY Toronto as chief engineer. In 1960, when CFTO-TV Toronto was launched, Taylor became a transmitter supervisor and was involved in the planning and installation of CFTO’s transmitter at the CN Tower. He retired in 1980.


Eamonn O’Loghlin, host of the weekly Irish Radio Show – Ceol agus Craic on CHKT 1430 (Saturdays from 11-noon) passed away January 4. O’Loghlin had hosted the program since March of 1998. Ronald W. Osborne died at age 66, in Florida. His broadcasting background included the presidency of Maclean Hunter Ltd. In 1994, he fought off a hostile takeover bid from Rogers Communications. After a protracted battle, a deal was inked for $3.1-billion. Ian Brownlee died three days short of his 70th birthday. He began a long broadcasting career as a newsman at CKBB-AM/CKVR-TVBarrie, then in Toronto radio from the 1960s through the ‘80s at CHUM, CKEY, CKO and CFRB. He also taught broadcasting at Niagara College in the 1970s and was the narrator of TV’s Wild Animals of the World. Stan Larke passed away in December at age 84. The long-time broadcaster worked at radio stations in Brampton, Richmond Hill, Toronto and Galt.


James A. “Pete” McGarvey passed away in March at the age of 86. He began his broadcast career at CFOR in 1947 and stayed for 18 years. McGarvey moved on to CFCO from 1965-1973 before heading to CKEY as a feature newscaster/commentator.


Bob Rice passed away at age 72. Rice was best known as Captain Bob to CKEY listeners and part of the morning team that included Keith Rich, Robert Payne and Dini Petty. Bob broadcast traffic reports from the helicopter and fixed wing airplane that he piloted. He left CKEY in 1987.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station