CBLA-FM, Radio One, Toronto

Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

CBLA-FM199899.1100,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBL-AM194174050,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBL-AM193784050,000Purchased by Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CRCT-AM19338405,000leased from Gooderham & Worts
CKGW-AM19318405,000Gooderham & Worts / CNR
CKGW-AM19299605,000Gooderham & Worts / CNR
CKGW-AM19296905,000Gooderham & Worts / CNR
CKGW-AM19289105,000Gooderham & Worts
CKGW-AM19279605,000Gooderham & Worts
CKGW-AM19259105,000Gooderham & Worts


CKGW began operations on 910 kHz with 5,000 watts of power. The station had the first commercially built 5,000 watt transmitter in the country. CKGW was owned by distiller Gooderham & Worts Ltd., and was known as Canada’s “Cheerio” station. The “GW” in the call sign represented the owner. (CKGW may have started in 1925 by G&W as CKCW then changed the call sign to CKGW), Neville Naysmith was station Manager. 

Don Copeland joined CJYC and left for CKGW a short time later. He became chief announcer and program director at CKGW and was known as Cheerio.


CKGW moved its studios to Toronto’s King Edward Hotel. Programs were fed from the studios to the transmitter by telephone line.

The frequency changed from 910 kHz to 960 kHz. Power remained 5,000 watts.


CKGW 960 began sharing time with CFRB and CJBC.

On March 5, at 8:00 p.m., CKGW began transmitting from Bowmanville.

CKGW moved back to 910 kHz later in the year.

Charles Jennings joined CKGW as an announcer.


Rex Frost directed and announced the “Castrol Hour” on CKGW and CFRB.


On October 2, at 6:00 p.m., CKGW moved back to 960 kHz with 5,000 watts, sharing time with CFRB and CJBC. A second listing had CKGW on 690 kHz with 5,000 watts.

On November 28, at 10:00 p.m., CKGW became affiliated with the American NBC network.


On October 18, at 10:45 a.m., CKGW moved to 840 kHz with 5,000 watts power, sharing time with CNRT.


The April 8 edition of the Toronto Telegram had the headline: “Uncertain Situation of Radio in Dominion Forces CKGW off air”. At this time, CKGW lost its daytime hours and broadcast only at night.

The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission (formed May 26, 1932) began leasing CKGW through the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Act. The call letters changed to CRCT at 8:00 a.m., May 30. The studios moved from the King Edward Hotel to the Canadian National Carbon Company’s factory on Davenport Road at Bathurst Street. CKGW took over the studios of CKNC which had been founded by Canadian National Carbon.

The CRBC purchased the Canadian National Railway’s radio stations, including Toronto’s CNRT and CNRX on March 1. The CNR began radio experiments in 1922 and opened a radio service to trains in 1923. In 1924, it began to open its own stations and to lease others. It discontinued its service to trains in 1931. 

On formation of the CRBC, Ernest Bushnell became national program director. He had been manager of CKNC Toronto.

On October 1, CRCT’s frequency changed from 840 kHz to 960 kHz. Power remained 5,000 watts. The station had been sharing time on 840 with CHNC, CJBC and CPRY. On 960, it shared time with CKNC. The Canadian Pacific Railway’s phantom station CPRY, utilized the facilities of CKGW.

Don Copeland hosted the “Cheerio Club” on CKGW from 1929 to 1933.

When the C.R.B.C. took over CKGW, Charlie Shearer took over management of the station. In his two years with the station, he organized the first Canadian broadcasting to public schools.

Charles Jennings moved over to the CRBC when it took over CKGW.


CRCT switched back to 840 kHz with 5,000 watts power on October 1.


Don Copeland, formerly of CKGW (now CRCT) and for the past two years, manager of CJRC Winnipeg, left the radio business.

The CRBC had to pay $5,083 as the result of a judgement awarded the King Edward Hotel Co. Ltd., by the Ontario Court of Appeal. The hotel company claimed $10,733 for breach of lease of the studios which the commission took over when it leased CKGW from Gooderham & Worts Ltd., distillers. Shortly after the commission took over the station and changed the call sign to CRCT, the studios were moved to a residential area of the city.


On November 2, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation was established. It took over the operations of the CRBC, including Toronto’s CRCT. Ernest Bushnell was named CBC program supervisor.

In December, the CBC restarted the old CKNC to boost CRCT’s signal in Toronto. The call letters for the reborn station were CRCY and it operated on 1420 kHz with 100 watts of power.

The CRBC applied to the Department of State, which in turn was to apply to the British Foreign Office, to make a complaint against station XERA from Mexico (with studios in Texas). XERA had been causing interference to CRCT since the Mexican station began using 840 kHz with 50,000 or 100,000 watts when compared to CRCT’s 5,000 watts. Reception of CRCT even in Toronto was being hurt while outside the immediate range of the transmitter, the interference was very noticeable. Mexico was not party to international radio agreements (did not have to comply with established power caps and interference rules) and Canada had no direct diplomatic relations with the country. For these reasons, the complaint was being made through the British ambassador to Mexico…a round-about way which would not help to speed up resolution of the matter. 


A new transmitter site was completed at Hornby, 35 miles west of Toronto (Lots 13 and 14, Concession 8, Trafalgar Township, Halton County) in December. One 645 foot tower was used to transmit an omni-directional signal, with 50,000 watts of power.

CRCT became CBL on December 24.


The CBC was involved in a suit for $250,000 brought by Gooderham & Worts, distillers and owners of the 5,000 watt station operated under lease by the CBC prior to the opening of the 50,000 watt CBL. The CBC, according to report, attempted to return the property to its owners on May 15, but it was not accepted. The equipment had been leased for the last five years for $12,000 with a contract clause that all equipment be kept modern.

On November 1, CRCY changed letters to CBY. CBY duplicated the programs of CBL.

Elwood Glover joined the CBC Toronto announce staff. He had been with CHAB in Moose Jaw but also did some special events work for the CBC – on loan from CHAB. Peter Aylen became manager of CBL. He had held the same position at CBO, Ottawa. Later in the year, Aylen moved to Vancouver to become manager of CBR. W. A. Nichols, formerly with Northern Electric, was now CBL’s chief engineer. Jack Starke joined CBL’s announce staff from CJIC Sault Ste. Marie. George R. Young, of CBC Toronto’s production department, was transferred to CBC Halifax as acting program director of the Maritimes Division, replacing Frank Willis who was on loan to the Australian Broadcasting Commission. W. E. S. Briggs, of the CBC Ottawa production staff also moved to Halifax, to assist Young. Herbert H. May left CBL as announcer-producer to join the announcing staff at CBS Hollywood. 


Terrence O’Dell (from CBC Windsor), Ed Devlin and Ian Smith (both from CBO), Reid Forsee (Toronto freelancer), Hugh Bartlett (from CBR) and Robert Edmonds (from CHML) joined the announce staff. James Harvey and Syd Brown (from CBO) joined the production department. Chief producer was John Macdonnell, formerly with the BBC.


The CBC was looking at an exchange of wavelengths or an increase in power to 50,000 watts for CBL.

CBC changes: the new Winnipeg representative was H.G. Walker, manager of CBL and CBY, Toronto, while Dick Claringbull, CBC Ontario regional representative, would add management of these two stations to his duties. Walter C. Anderson, manager of CBO Ottawa, would be night manager of the stations, and Charles Wright, senior CBC producer at Winnipeg, would be manager of CBO. 

Central studios and offices to house the scattered quarters now occupied by the CBC in Toronto and Montreal were to be built this year at a cost of $800,000 each. The new facilities would include a number of small studios, one large auditorium studio, offices for the entire staffs in each city, for the commercial departments, and in Montreal, also for the engineering department. 

The CBC purchased a corner property in Toronto as the site of its projected new Broadcasting House. The building would be of modern design and house studios for CBL and CBY, as well as for all network shows which originated in Toronto for the national sustaining and commercial networks.

William J. O’Reilly joined the CBC Toronto announce staff from CKCH in Hull. Herbert Walker was senior announcer and studio supervisor. Stephen Dale joined the announce staff from CHML Hamilton.

For the record, the CBC inaugurated on November 8, the official time signal every day at 12:59 p.m. (Eastern), from the Dominion Observatory in Ottawa. A series of dots, marking the second, were transmitted. These continued until exactly 10 seconds before 1:00 p.m. and were followed by 10 seconds of silence. The beginning of the long dash (after the silence), marked exactly 1:00 p.m. 


A print ad for the CBC in Ontario stated that, “through its 50,000 watt Key Station, CBL, Toronto, and a regional network, reaches 99.5% of all radio homes in this rich province.” 

Harold Symes and Cecil Hyndman were engineers at CBC Toronto. John Hart was in the commercial department. Tom Odell was supervisor of subsidiary hook-ups in the commercial department.

The CBC’s main program, commercial, station relations, press and information offices for all of Canada moved May 24 to Prudential House on York Street. This new location consolidated the old 1 Hayter Street and 241 Church Street operations. There would be no studios at the new address. The war halted construction of a broadcasting centre for which land had been purchased last summer.

The CBC was installing a number of small broadcasting stations in certain areas of British Columbia and in Northern Ontario, where residents had poor reception due to natural barriers. The first such station was now in operation at Revelstoke, B.C. Similar stations were to be built at various repeater points and small settlements throughout the Rocky Mountains along the two railway lines. Plans called for similar operations in northern Ontario north of Lake Superior following the rail lines.

Jack Radford, manager of CBL and CBY and Ontario regional representative for the CBC, was named supervisor of station relations, succeeding Horace N. Stovin, who left for the radio representative business. Radford’s appointment was effective November 15. Before coming to Toronto, he was CBC regional representative for B.C. and manager of CBR. Prior to that, he managed the former CBC station at Windsor. D. Claringbull from Winnipeg replaced Radford in Toronto, having held a similar position as regional CBC rep for the Prairie Provinces. Jack Kannawin, Winnipeg, superintendent of western programs, became the new CBC regional rep for the prairies. Robert Henderson left the CBC network engineering staff in Toronto for CKLW Windsor on December 16. 

The CBC was being sued for $250,000 in damages for alleged breach of lease by Gooderham & Worts Ltd., former operators of the 5,000 watt CKGW, which the CBC’s predecessor, the CRBC, leased in 1933 and operated as CRCT. Hearings in the case started after several postponements on December 18 and were adjourned on the 21st to January 20. When the CBC built 50,000 watt CBL, the equipment of the former CKGW was reportedly returned to G&W. The firm in 1936 was ready to put up a 50 KW station to replace the leased station, but could not obtain a licence it was pointed out in court.


Under the Havana Treaty, CBL moved from 840 to 740 kHz (Class I-A Clear Channel) on March 31. Power remained 50,000 watts. 

Don Fletcher joined CBL’s technical staff. He had been a transmitter technician at CKLW Windsor. 

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network’s first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate – CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network – outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth. 


As of January 1, George Temple severed his ties with CBC Toronto where he had been a producer. Jack Whitehouse joined CBC Toronto news from CKY Winnipeg. Bing Whitteker left CBC Toronto as of May 23 to free-lance as an announcer and actor. Don Fairburn (CBC Ontario farm commentator) and Jack Kennedy (engineering) joined the RCAF. Announcer Larry Henderson left CBC Toronto on May 23 to start training with the C.C.C.S. H.G. Walker left CBL and CBY as manager to become acting regional representative in Winnipeg. D. Claringbull, Ontario regional representative, would take over management of CBY and CBL in addition to his present duties. Walter C. Anderson, station manager of CBO Ottawa, became night manager of the two stations. 

On September 16, Gladstone Murray, general manager of the CBC announced that the networks would sign off at 11:30 p.m. local time in all regions as of September 27. The reduction was designed to reduce wear on equipment. Murray said that such a reduction would lengthen the life of a large amount of the equipment, some of which could not be replaced. Some of the vacuum tubes used at the 50,000 watt outlets were water cooled and cost as much as $3,000. The half hour reduction would not apply on all nights to CBA Sackville. It would continue to operate for the extra 30 minutes on some nights.

A judge gave Gooderham & Worts Ltd. judgement against the CBC for $25,000, for breach of covenant. The action had to do with the termination by the CBC of its lease of CKGW.


CBLS Sioux Lookout was opened June 13.

J. R. “Jim” Finlay, senior producer at CBL was appointed manager of the station. Finlay joined the CBC in 1937 from Marconi Co. S.S. “Syd” Brown, CBL’s senior dramatic producer, resigned after ten years with the corporation. As of October 1, he would do free lance work. J.R. “Jim” Finlay, senior producer at CBL, was appointed manager of the station, which would be the key station of the Trans-Canada Network as of January 1 (1944). He had been associated with the CBC since 1937.

CBY became CJBC on November 15.


On January 1, the CBC formed a second English network, The Dominion, with CJBC as the flagship. CBL anchored The Trans-Canada Network. The new network was formed because the private affiliates wanted a network of their own so they could sell time to national advertisers.

CBLN Nakina opened April 27.

On November 23, CBLH Hornepayne was launched. 

Announcer Gordon Cook joined CBC Toronto from CKCK in Regina. CBL manager Jim Finlay moved to CBC Winnipeg.

Dr. Augustin Frigon, general manager of the CBC, announced the location of the main Toronto studios would be moved to the old Havergal College property on Jarvis Street. The CBC was operating from facilities on Davenport Road and York Street. The Margaret Eaton Concert Hall and the CBC Playhouse on Grenville would be maintained. A new audience studio would be available at the new Jarvis Street location.


On February 12 the CBC Toronto offices moved from 55 York Street to newer and larger premises at 354 Jarvis Street. The new facility would house the national program office, commercial division, station relations, traffic and the press and information service. The studios of CBL and CJBC would remain for now at 805 Davenport Road. 


Announcer Terry O’Dell left CBL for CBM Montreal. Fred Darling left CBL for CKMO Vancouver. Joe Duff and L. deB Holly were now with the army. D. Claringbull was manager and E.A. Weir was commercial manager. 

CBL and CJBC were now operating from 354 Jarvis Street. Master control and recording studios were switched to the premises but the studios in the old Davenport Road location were still being used for live programs. All business was now transacted from 354 Jarvis. 

Former CBC Toronto producer Clifton Stewart left for Rai Purdy Productions. Stewart had produced such programs as “Reminiscing”, “Dominion Concert Hour”, and “Songs of the Volga”. 

Harry J. Boyle became program director of the Trans-Canada network and of CBL. He had been supervisor of the CBC’s farm broadcasts. He was responsible to Charles Jennings, supervisor of CBC programs. CJBC program director John M. Kannawin was named supervisor of presentation, in charge of all program operations at the CBC Toronto studios. Announcing and production staffs of CBL and CJBC were to be merged. 

Elwood Glover was an announcer at CBC Toronto.


The CBC launched FM station VE9EV in Toronto. 

A battle between Gooderham & Worts and the CBC was hopefully about to end. G&W had charged the CBC with violation of the terms of the CBC’s lease of the old CKGW plant when that station went off the air in 1938.

CBL announcer William J. O’Reilly was appointed program director for CBM Montreal. He has been with the CBC since 1937 and was in the RCAF during the war.

CBL carried daily newscasts from the Toronto Daily Star. 

CBL’s women’s commentator Jane Weston was building a bridge of understanding between Quebec and Ontario, along with the French network’s Marcelle Barthe. Weston would record three questions about Quebec which were translated and presented by Barthe on her network program. Marcelle would then provide the answers for airing on Jane’s Toronto program.

Joe Duff, just out of the “Army Show” and formerly in charge of recordings at CBC Toronto, moved on to CKCO in Ottawa. Former CBL and CJBC announcer Gordon Keeble became the new radio director at F.H. Hayhurst Co. Ltd. 

It was announced that effective October 12, the Toronto Daily Star’s twice daily broadcasts on CBL would come to an end. The time for the features had been donated by CBL. This followed discussion of the question of free time being given by the government broadcasting system to the government-supported newspaper. Following a CBC Board meeting, Chairman Davidson Dunton said “that any undertaking in this connection going back to the days of the former Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission had been discharged”. The question of the Daily Star’s free time broadcasts was first raised in August by John G. Diefenbaker (PC MP for Lake Centre) before a Parliamentary committee. It was drawn to the committee’s attention that the Liberal paper was receiving free time to the gross value of $42,000 annually. 

CBL Announcer William (Bill) J. O’Reilly was transferred to CBM Montreal as program director. Hartley L. McVicar passed away. He had been on the production staff at CBC Toronto. 

The CBC announced it would install an FM station on the top of the Canadian Bank of Commerce building in Toronto. The call letters would be VE9EV and the station would be used to further FM research and to encourage the buying of FM receivers. It was believed VE9EV would be heard within a 35 mile radius. 


The Toronto studios and network headquarters were consolidated at a new address – 354 Jarvis Street.

The Foleyet transmitter – CBLF was opened May 25. 

Elwood Glover was on the announce staff. H.J. Boyle was manager. Violet Dunn was heard on CBL. John B. Starke resigned from CBL to become program director at the new CKOX in Woodstock. E.A. Weir was commercial manager. 

The CBC’s Toronto FM station was now on the air. 


Bruce Smith took over the CBL morning show.

On September 1, CBC Toronto became the first radio facility to operate two stations simultaneously from a common antenna when CJBC began broadcasting from the CBL tower at Hornby. Both stations operated with 50,000 watts. CJBC moved to 860 from 1010 kHz, exchanging frequencies with CFRB. 


Elwood Glover hosted Musically Yours. Max Ferguson was heard daily on CBL. Harry .J. Boyle was manager and E.A. Weir was commercial manager.


Schreiber’s CBLB transmitter signed on April 6.


White River’s CBLW was opened on April 3.

CBLM Marathon opened on April 4.


Canada’s second television station went on the air…CBLT Toronto. 

Jane Weston was women’s commentator.


Beardmore transmitter CBLE was opened on July 25. 

Parliament was expected to be asked for $2,000,000 with which to build a new radio headquarters for the CBC in Toronto. The building was to be built on Jarvis Street to take the place of the former Havergal Ladies College purchased by the CBC 10 years earlier. It could be completed in 2 or 3 years. Overcrowding of the present quarters in the old and unsuitable Havergal building was given as the reason for proposing the new building. 

CBL joined the RTNDA. Bill Hogg was news director.

Harry Boyle was named director of programs for CBC Ontario – radio and television. He had been program director of the Trans-Canada network for eight years. Bob McGall was appointed director of CBC Radio in Toronto – in charge of CBL and CJBC. In the past, he had been manager of CJBC.


Hurricane Hazel hit the Toronto area between October 15 and 17. Both CBC radio and television in the city fed each others services to give first rate coverage. In the early going, CBL was unable to carry as much local content as CJBC due to network commitments. Over time, CBL was able to offer the same amount of storm coverage as other area stations.


H.G. Walker was appointed CBC assistant director for Ontario by the province’s director, Ira Dilworth.


By this time, CBL operated the following rebroadcast transmitters: Atikokan CBLA 1490, Beardmore CBLE 1240, Chapleau CBLC 1090, Dryden CBLD 1490, Foleyet CBLF 1450, Geraldton CBLG 730, Hornepayne CBLH 1340, Jamestown CBLI 540, Longlac CBLL 1400, Marathon CBLM 1490, Nakina CBLN 1240, Red Rock CBLR 1010, Schreiber CBLB 1340, Sioux Lookout CBLS 1240, and White River CBLW 1240. 


In March of 1957 the Ontario Government went after the Toronto Telegram for publishing on Sundays. It also went after the CBC and CKEY for broadcasting news and ads on Sundays. The province considered these to be violations of the Lord’s Day Act. The CBC claimed that being an agent of the Queen and a crown corporation, it was not bound by the act. The Ontario Court of Appeal ruled in January of this year that the act did apply and was binding on Her Majesty (the CBC). The CBC planned to appeal the ruling.

Before CBLT opened in 1952, the CBC seemed able to get by with its converted girls’ school at 354 Jarvis Street and two or three concert studios as its Toronto home. Since television came along, two studio buildings were constructed on Jarvis Street and up to 17 buildings had been rented across the city. As of now, there were 13 buildings used at 11 different locations. There was still hope for a single establishment in Toronto but it would be some years yet according to press reports.

Ad slogan: In Canada’s Mid-Eastern Region CBC Radio gives you a total daily circulation of 970,000 radio homes (Elliott-Haynes, 1957) with stations CBM Montreal, CBO Ottawa, CBL Toronto, CBE Windsor.

H.G. Walker was named director for Ontario and for English networks, succeeding Ira Dilworth who became director of program evaluation. Alan Maitland was manager of CBL and CJBC.

According to Elliott-Haynes CBL reached a total of 473,022 adult listeners every day.

The CBC appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada to reverse the judgement of the Ontario Courts that the CBC must stand trial on charges of violating the Lord’s Day Act by broadcasting news on Sundays. Also charged were the Toronto Telegram, Toronto Daily Star, The Globe & Mail, and Radio Station CKEY. Charges against these companies were pending the outcome other the CBC’s appeal. 


A.K. Morrow, director of the CBC’s English networks and the Toronto area, announced the appointment of Don MacDonald as public relations officer for the Toronto area, as of November 1. 

Ad: You’re not seeing double! You’re not hearing double! But you’re selling double! With power packed CBL and CJBC! Now you can buy, at a combined rate, spots on both CBL and CJBC and reach double the audience (only 15% duplication) at a much lower cost. It’s the perfect, economical way to sell double at a single rate in Metropolitan Toronto! 


CBLV Bancroft was opened December 22.


On October 1, the Dominion and Trans-Canada networks consolidated into a single CBC radio service. CBL had been the Trans-Canada station while the CBC’s other Toronto station, CJBC, was the Dominion affiliate. At this time, CJBC began airing some French-language programming. By 1964, CJBC would be operating entirely in French. 


CBC Radio added an all-night service in June.


Among the announcers at CBL: Bruce Smith (mornings), Elwood Glover (afternoons), Joan Barberis, and Fred Sgambati (sports).


CBC Radio’s all-night service, started in 1963, came to an end on March 1. When the service started it was primarily intended as a national information and warning system to be used in emergencies. Even though the service had now ended, the CBC said it would maintain a stand-by procedure through the night and broadcasts would begin immediately in the event of an emergency.

On May 28, CBL was authorized to add a transmitter at Maynooth on 1230 kHz with power of 40 watts.

On December 24, CBLJ Wawa (540 kHz) was authorized to increase power from 20 watts to 40 watts. CBLG Geraldton (730 kHz) was given approval for the same power increase and to change transmitter site. 

CBL’s morning show was now stressing the good listening of adult radio rather than the family programming concept of the past. An accompanying print ad campaign featured a striking new logo emphasizing the silhouette of a crowing rooster spotted against a sunburst background, with “Good Morning radio” in modernistic lettering underneath. Featured in the ads: Bruce Smith (5-8:35 a.m), Max Ferguson (8:35-9 a.m.), Fred Sgambati (sports/sports director), Nathan Cohen (entertainment and arts), Russ Thompson (9:15-9:55 a.m.), Bill Hawes and Rex Loring (The World At Eight) and Bruno Gerussi (10:03-11:45 a.m.). 


CBLY Haliburton (1400 kHz, 40 watts) and CBLE Beardmore (1240 kHz, 40 watts) received approval to change antenna site. 

In addition to Bruce Smith (mornings) and Elwood Glover (afternoons), Jim Chorley hosted the midday broadcast on CBL. Other on-air names: George Atkins, Glenn Powell, Joan Watson and Bob MacGregor.


CBLR Red Rock (1010 kHz) and CBLL Longlac (1400 kHz) were authorized to increase power from 20 watts to 40 watts.

CBLJ Wawa received permission to change frequency from 540 kHz to 1440 kHz. Power would remain 40 watts. 


Alex Trebek took over CBL’s morning show (5-9 a.m.) in September. He replaced Bruce Smith who moved to the afternoon drive show.


Alex Trebek left late in the year and was replaced by George Rich (AM Drive).


Bruce Rogers took over the morning show from George Rich on April 2.


Harry Brown replaced Bruce Rogers in morning drive. Bruce Smith was still hosting the afternoon drive show (The Bruce Smith Show). 

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation was licenced to operate a rebroadcast transmitter at Kingston, operating on a frequency of 107.5 Mhz with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts. 


Other on-air names at CBL besides Harry Brown (mornings) and Bruce Smith (afternoons): Judy Madrin (news), Jay-Dell-Mah (reporter), David Schatzky (host), Gordon Gee (weather), Sarah Coyle (sports) and Jim Curran (traffic). 

On September 16, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation received approval in part from the CRTC to operate an FM transmitter at Cobourg/Peterborough. The CBC had to seek a frequency other than 103.1 MHz as that channel had been awarded to Radio CHUC Ltd.  


CBCK-FM Kingston was opened on April 3.

Harry Brown left Metro Morning and was replaced by David Schatzky. 


CBL began replacing its system of low-power A.M. relay transmitters with high-powered FM rebroadcasters. CBCL 93.5 London opened on July 5. 

The CBC received approval July 18 to use frequency 93.5 MHz at Cobourg to rebroadcast the programming of CBL 740 in Toronto. Effective radiated power would be 28,400 watts. The 93.5 frequency had been used in this region in the past by the old CKLB-FM Oshawa. 

Fire destroyed the CBC Kingston transmitter building which housed CBCK, CJBC-FM and CBLFT-TV. Service was quickly restored with temporary equipment until the facility could be rebuilt. 

CBCO 105.9 Orillia opened on November 5.

Bruce Smith retired. He hosted Toast & Jamboree (AM Drive) for 23 years before taking over PM Drive in 1971. He was replaced by Russ Germain, most recently a newscaster with CBLT-TV. Germain took over the afternoon show in December.


At 11:52 p.m. on Saturday, November 10, a CP freight train with tank car cargoes which included both propane and chlorine, derailed in nearby Mississauga. The resulting explosion and fire threatened to spread deadly chlorine gas throughout the community of 270,000. Emergency measures forced the evacuation of some 223,000 people. CBL would normally have no local programming on weekends, but on this weekend, round-the-clock coverage of the Mississauga situation was carried out. 

Among the on-air staff at CBL at this time: Bob Leitch (news), Rick Welburne (reporter), Paul Kidd (announcer), Bruce Rogers, Barbara Smith, Gordon Jones, Harry Mannis…Russ Germain left the afternoon drive (4-6) show but stayed with CBC Toronto. David Schatzky left Metro Morning and was replaced by Joe Cote. Fred Sgambati passed away. Anne Hunter was program director.


CBCP 93.5 Peterborough launched on October 1.

John Badham was doing sports. Barbara Smith took over PM Drive ( 4-6). She had been with the CBC since 19 77.


CBCM 107.5 Penetanguishine began operations on January 15.


Joe Cote hosted the morning show while Jim Wright was the 4-6 p.m. host. Newscasters included George Duffield, Bob Leach and John Badham (sports). Traffic was handled by Jim Curran and George McNabb.


CBCB-FM Owen Sound was opened March 18.

Georgie Binks joined CBL as a reporter from CKO-FM.


John Caras and Bronwyn Drainie hosted the afternoon drive show at various points this year.


Radio Noon marked its tenth anniversary. The program was hosted by David Shatzky and Bruce Rogers.


Shelagh Rogers joined Joe Cote on Metro Morning. David Schatszky was afternoon drive host. Newscasters included Bruce Rogers, Donna Tranquada (joined) and reporter Georgie Binks (left for CBLT).


The CBC was authorized to operate an FM transmitter at Manitouwadge, to rebroadcast CBQ Thunder Bay. The new transmitter would replace AM transmitters CBRB Manitouwage and CBLM Marathon which currently rebraodcast CBL. 

Bob Kennedy was in the news department.

Radio Noon host David Schatzky moved to afternoon drive to take over For Your Information. He would continue to host the phone-in segment of Radio Noon. Erika Ritter (Dayshift) retired to devote more time to her writing career.

The Ontario Morning (CBC Ontario, but not CBL) crew were moved from 449 Jarvis Street to 509 Parliament Street so they could work more closely with CBL’s Metro Morning staff.

Kel Lack, director of CBC Radio, Ontario, appointed Donna Tranquada as regional news anchor for “Ontario Morning” and “Metro Morning”, as well as host of the first hour of “Radio Noon”. Donna had been a reporter, writer and producer with CBC News since 1985.


David Schatzky moved from PM Drive to Middays.


Gloria Bishop was appointed director of CBC Radio, Ontario division, succeeding Kel lack. Bishop had been deputy head of radio current affairs.


The CBC received approval August 29 for a new FM transmitter at Maynooth on the frequency 89.3 MHz with an effective radiated power of 130 watts to rebroadcast the programs of CBL. It would replace CBOD-AM.

On September 26, the CBC received approval for an FM transmitter at Haliburton, using the frequency 92.3 with an effective radiated power of 50 watts to rebroadcast the programming of CBL . Because of long-standing technical interference to CBLY-AM’s reception, in order to improve service to the Haliburton area, the CBC has submitted this application to operate a new FM transmitter. In addition, the owner of the leased premises where the transmitter is located has asked the CBC to vacate the site. 

Ian Brown was afternoon host. David Schatzky left.


The licence for CBL and the following transmitters was renewed: CBLV Bancroft, CBLY Haliburton, CBCK-FM Kingston, CBCL-FM London, CBOD Maynooth, CBCO-FM Orillia, CBCB-FM Owen Sound, CBCM-FM Penetanguishene and CBCP-FM Peterborough/Cobourg. The CRTC noted that the CBC has indicated that it will cease the operation of the low-power rebroadcaster, CBOD Maynooth, within one year of the implementation of the new FM transmitting at Maynooth (approved in 1989). The CBC has surrendered its licence for CBOB-FM Brockville. This community will receive service once CBO-AM Ottawa moves to the FM band. Also, in 1989, CBCH-FM Fort Hope was authorized to change program source from CBL Toronto to CBQ Thunder Bay.  

CBL was the senior component of the CBC’s largest region and served approximately 25% of the Canadian CBC Radio audience. At the hearing the licensee indicated that it serves four separate constituencies: Metro Toronto; the Golden Horseshoe region of Southwestern Ontario; the areas served by its rebroadcasting undertakings; and, with its Sunday morning program, “Fresh Air”, all of Ontario and part of the Province of Quebec.

Because of its proximity to the CBC’s national broadcast centre in Toronto, CBL did not produce any programs for the national radio network. CBL did, however, produce separate weekday morning programs for Metro Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe area (“Metro Morning”) and its rebroadcasters (“Ontario Morning”) and indicated that this arrangement will continue during the new licence term. CBL also produces “Later the Same Day” which is broadcast to all communities on weekday afternoons from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The Commission notes that CBL is currently producing 37 hours per week of local and regional programming in addition to the 15 hours per week it produces for “Ontario Morning”. The balance of its schedule consists of programming originating with the CBC Radio Network.

CBLY-FM Haliburton opened July 9. 

Christopher Thomas was midday host (Radio Noon). Sue Prestedge was in the news department. Brendan Connor handled sports.


CBL-CJBC erected a new tower at the Hornby site to replace the old original stick.

On February 12, the CRTC approved the application by the CBC to amend the licence for CBOD-FM Maynooth by decreasing the effective radiated power from 130 watts to 110 watts. The Department of Communications indicated that this power reduction would not result in any significant change in CBOD-FM’s coverage. 

CBOD-FM Maynooth opened April 3. 

Kathryn O’Hara was afternoon drive host. The news department included Jill Dempsey (joined), Charmaine Mullings, Sue Prestedge, Jacquie Perrin (joined from CFRB), Donna Tranquada (left for CFRB). Reporters included: Heather Evans, Ted Fairhurst, Bob Johnstone, Gerry McAuliffe, Donna McElligot, John McGrath.


On November 13, CBL received approval to increase the effective radiated power of its transmitter CBCO-FM Orillia from 1,080 watts to 3,100 watts, and to relocate the CBCO-FM transmitter. CBL was further authorized to add transmitters at Huntsville and Parry Sound, operating on the frequency 94.3 MHz and 89.9 MHz respectively, with an effective radiated power of 70,000 watts at Huntsville and 50 watts at Parry Sound. In 1987, the CRTC authorized the CBC to change the frequency of CBCO-FM Orillia from 105.9 MHz to 91.5 MHz and to make other related technical changes. This authority was not implemented. The approval of the present applications, including the addition of transmitters at Huntsville and Parry Sound, will improve signal quality throughout the area, eliminate significant coverage overlaps, and enable the CBC to switch to use of the frequency 91.5 MHz at Orillia. This, in turn, will free the frequency 105.9 MHz for other potential use in the area. 

John Caras and Doug Kirkaldy were in the news department. Joe Cote left September 4. He was replaced by Matt Maychak.


CBL and all of Toronto’s CBC operations moved to the new Canadian Broadcasting Centre at 250 Front Street West.

CBLU-FM Huntsville and CBLR-FM Parry Sound opened September 7. With the addition of these transmitters, CBCM-FM Penetanguishine was closed. With the addition of these new transmitters, the private stations in Huntsville and Parry Sound would disaffiliate from the network. 

Matt Maychak & Maureen Taylor hosted Metro Morning. Christopher Thomas was the host of Radio Noon. Kathryn O’Hara was on from 4 to 6 p.m. The news department included Rachael Donner, Doug Kirkaldy, Sue Prestedge, Jill DempseyReporters – Georgie Binks, Heather Evans, Ted Fairhurst, Bob Johnstone, John McGrath, Jim Curran (traffic), Rick Cluff (sports, joined this year).


Irene Bakarek was now in the news department. Jill Dempsey left.


CBC Radio added overnight programming to its schedule on May 1, with “CBC Radio Overnight”. The programming started out on certain CBC stations and was expanded to all of its stations by September. The program aired between 1:00 and 6:00 a.m. (local time) and offered reports from public broadcasters in 25 countries, with Canadian news on the hour. The program service was provided by the World Radio Network in London, England.

The CBC filed four applications related to the proposed replacement of CBL-AM, with FM transmitters. The CBC proposed to establish three new FM transmitters which would utilize the FM frequencies 99.1 MHz in Toronto, 89.1 MHz in Paris, 100.3 MHz in Crystal Beach and to increase the effective radiated power of CBCO-FM Orillia. 

Matt Maychak left in June, and was replaced temporarily by co-host Maureen Taylor. On September 5, Andy Barrie joined to host Metro Morning, from CFRB for AM Drive. Ralph Benmergui (Radio Noon) left for CBC Television. The news team included Anuba Parray and Robert Payne.


Maureen Taylor was hosting Radio Noon.


The CRTC approved on July 29, four inter-related applications submitted by the CBC to improve the delivery of its AM radio service throughout the Toronto area by, among other things, converting CBL to the FM band. In approving the applications, the Commission considered, among other matters, the reception difficulties faced by CBL listeners in the Toronto area, the increasing migration of listeners to stations on the FM band, and the requirements of the Act with relation to the CBC’s mandate.

CBL Toronto would operate on a frequency of 99.1 MHz (formerly used by CKO-FM and even further back, by CBL-FM) with an effective radiated power of 35,200 watts. A transmitter at Paris/Kitchener would use 89.1 MHz with an effective radiated power of 5,000 watts. CBCO-FM Orillia would increase effective radiated power from 3,100 to 5,200 watts.

The CBC also requested approval of an application to operate a rebroadcasting transmitter at Crystal Beach, on the commercial frequency 100.3 MHz with an effective radiated power of 319 watts. CKRZ-FM Ohsweken which operates on that frequency submitted an intervention in opposition to the proposed use of 100.3 MHz by the CBC at Crystal Beach on the grounds that it could cause co-channel interference to CKRZ-FM, and that it could preclude any future power increase or coverage extension for that native radio service. The CBC was advised to seek an alternate frequency.

On September 1, The CBC Radio network (CBC Radio) was renamed “CBC Radio One”.

In September, the local noon-hour show on CBL was replaced by a new provincial noon-hour show, Ontario Today, to come from CBO in Ottawa. Mary Weins would be the Toronto correspondent for the show.  

Dave Stephens took over the noon-2 show (Radio Noon) from CBC Ottawa. Joan Melanson replaced Kathryn O’Hara in PM Drive (4-6) on September 1. Rick Cluff left. The news deaprtment included Jill Dempsey, Doug Kirkaldy, Ted Fairhurst, Heather Evans, Scott Walker, Rick Cluff (Sports), Bruce Dowbiggin (sports), Sam Guha (entertainment), Jim Curran (traffic), George McNabb (traffic).


On February 4, CBL was authorized to add a transmitter at Penetanguishene, on the frequency 89.7 MHz, with an effective radiated power of 2,800 watts.

On February 13, CBO Ottawa was authorized to add CBCK-FM Kingston to its licence. CBCK had operated as a rebroadcaster of CBL. The CBC stated this would provide a more consistent and relevant Eastern Ontario service to listeners in the Kingston area.

On April 17, CBLA-FM was authorized to relocate its transmitter from the CN Tower to First Canadian Place and increase effective radiated power from 35,200 watts to 48,000 watts.

CBLA-FM began testing on 99.1 MHz in late March and officially signed on the air at 12:30 p.m., April 19. After a simulcast period, CBLA would fully replace CBL 740. To fill the void that would be left by 740’s huge signal, CBLA would add FM rebroadcast transmitters at Kitchener and Crystal Beach.

On May 26, CBL/CBLA was granted a licence for a transitional digital radio undertaking. The transmitter would be installed on the CN Tower and employ the EUREKA-147 digital audio broadcasting system, and operate on 1461.536 MHz with effective isotropic radiated power of 5084 watts.

CBLA-FM-2 Paris/Kitchener opened on July 17.

On September 10, CBLA-FM was authorized to change the frequency of CBLA-FM-1 Crystal Beach from 100.3 MHz to 90.5 MHz. Effective radiated power would remain unchanged at 319 watts. The CBC was directed to use a different frequency at Crystal Beach because of possible co-channel interference with CKRZ-FM Ohsweken.

The CBC received approval September 28 to operate an English-language FM station at London, on 93.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts. The new station would replace CBCL-FM London, which currently transmits the programming of CBLA-FM Toronto. CBCL-FM would be deleted from CBLA’s licence. The new London station (still called CBCL-FM) would broadcast 2 hours and 30 minutes of local programming per broadcast week. This total would include 10 minutes of local programming each hour between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. on weekdays. The remainder of the programming would be identical to that of CBLA-FM.

CBLA-FM-1 Crystal Beach began operations on November 16.

On December 2, CBCP-FM Peterborough was authorized to change frequency from 93.5 MHz to 98.7 MHz and decrease effective radiated power from 10,400 watts to 10,170 watts. 

The late Clyde Gilmour’s 13,000 record albums – CDS, 78s, scrapbooks, scripts, books and personal papers – were moved from his basement to CBC Toronto’s Broadcasting Centre. Gilmour died in November (1997) at 85.


Alan Maitland, 78, died of heart failure in Vancouver. He had been the voice of “As It Happens” until 1993.

CBCM-FM Penetanguishine returned to the air on May 25.

After 62 years, the plug was pulled on CBL 740 in favour of its replacement, CBLA-FM 99.1. In 1937, the Hornby AM transmitter site featured a 650 foot tower. At that time, it was Canada’s tallest structure. The antenna structure became a tourist attraction before World War II. The transmitter building was designed to accommodate visitors, who watched the transmitter operators from a viewing platform just inside the door to the transmitter room. The basement housed a Cold War-era fallout shelter that held a small studio. It was from this room that the last words aired on CBL 740 on June 18 (Midnight, June 19): “This is CBC Radio One, broadcasting from the Hornby transmitter at 740 AM. In the Toronto area, we now move to 99.1 FM, with additional frequencies throughout Southern Ontario. This transmitter has served the community well since 1937, and at 740 AM since 1941. This is the end of an era in Canadian broadcasting history. Signing off now from CBL, adieu”. CBL-AM had been simulcasting CBLA-FM up to this point. 

On June 23, an increase in effective radiated power for CBLR-FM Parry Sound was approve. It would increase from 50 watts to 180 watts. The transmitter site would be relocated to north of Parry Sound. CBLR would continue to operate on 89.9 MHz. 

At 5:35 a.m. on July 5, CBCP changed frequency from 93.5 to 98.7 MHz. Effective radiated power decreased from 10,400 to 10,170 watts. This change was made in order to make the 93.5 frequency available in Toronto for a new private station.

CBLA-FM received approval on August 3 to add a transmitter at Wingham. It would broadcast on a frequency of 100.9 MHz with an effective radiated power of 11,800 watts.

CBLA-FM-3 Wingham went on the air October 7.

CBLA’s digital transmitter – CBLA-DR-1 – was launched on November 1.  

Donna Tranquada returned the the news department from CFRB. Avril Benoit took over the afternoon drive show. Shw was co-host of CBC Radio’s midday network show “This Morning”. Benoit had joined the network from CJAD Montreal. Erica Ritter had been doing PM Drive. Jeff Elwond was in the news department. John Hancock was doing sports.

Ontario Region director of CBC Radio was Miriam Fry in Ottawa.


In October Marsha Lederman joined CBLA’s news department. She had been with CFYI-AM in Toronto.


On March 2, CBLA-FM received approval to add a transmitter at Shelburne. It would operate on frequency 102.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 2,600 watts.

On June 6, CBLA-FM was authorized to increase effective radiated power from 48,000 watts to 55,100 watts. The change reflects the “as-built” parameters of CBLA-FM, and represents no significant change in the coverage area.

As of August 31, CBLA operated the following rebroadcast transmitters: CBLV Bancroft, CBLA-FM-1 Crystal Beach, CBLY-FM Haliburton, CBLU-FM Huntsville, CBOD-FM Maynooth, CBCO-FM Orillia, CBCB-FM Owen Sound, CBLA-FM-2 Paris/Kitchener, CBLR-FM Parry Sound, CBCM-FM Penetanguishene, CBCP-FM Peterborough, CBLA-FM-3 Wingham. CBLA-FM broadcasts approximately 25 hours of local programming each week from Toronto. 

The news department included Anubha Parray, Jill Dempsey, Marcia Leederman, Dave Seglins, Jasmine Secodus, Brendan Connor, Robert FisherReporters – Conway Fraser, Mark Stevenson, Jean Carter. Sports – Brendan Connor, Kevin Sylvester. Traffic – Jim Curran, George McNabb. Business – Chuck Regair.


On May 14, CBLA-FM-4 Shelburne was opened. 


On May 12 the CRTC renewed CBLA-FM’s licence. The renewal included the following transmitters: CBLA-DR-1 Toronto, CBLV Bancroft, CBCB-FM Owen Sound, CBCM-FM Penetanguishene, CBCO-FM Orillia, CBCP-FM Peterborough, CBLA-FM-1 Crystal Beach, CBLA-FM-2 Paris/Kitchener, CBLA-FM-3 Wingham, CBLA-FM-4 Shelburne, CBLR-FM Parry Sound, CBLU-FM Huntsville, CBLY-FM Haliburton and CBOD-FM Maynooth.


On February 1, Andy Barrie announced his departure from Metro Morning (5:30 to 8:30 a.m.). He would host the show until March 1 and continue to be a member of the CBC family in a re-imagined capacity. January 29, 2010 marked Andy’s 15th anniversary as host of the program. Matt Galloway was named to take over from Barrie. Galloway had been the Friday Metro Morning host since 2004 and was the host of the afternoon drive program on CBLA – Here and Now. It was in 2007 that Barrie (now 65) revealed that he had Parkinson’s disease. Born in the U.S. but fleeing to Canada during the Vietnam war era, Barrie worked first at CJAD Montreal, then sister station CFRB Toronto before moving to CBC Radio. 

On August 9, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence of CBLA-DR-1, CBLA-FM (and its transmitters) to August 31, 2011.


In 2010, the CBC had the licenses for its Montreal digital radio transmitters revoked. On January 21, 2011, the CRTC revoked the licenses for the rest of the CBC’s digital radio transmitters across the country – at the Corporation’s request. The revocations included CBLA-DR-1, CBL-DR-1, CJBC-DR-1 and CJBC-DR-2 Toronto. There had been a total lack of interest in digital radio by all parties involved.

On August 25, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CBLA-FM and its transmitters to March 1, 2013.

Former Citytv news reporter Laura DiBattista, became the host of CBC Radio One’s afternoon drive show as of January 3. 


Jim Curran, CBC Radio Toronto’s 40-year traffic reporter, retired at the end of March.

Laura DiBattista was no longer the host of CBC Radio’s Here and Now program. She moved to CBC after a 26-year career at Citytv Toronto. DiBattista, and a number of other long-time on-air people at Citytv, were let go in January of 2010 and she began hosting the CBC afternoon radio show January 3, 2011.

The CBC applied for a licence to operate an FM station in Paris. The proposed FM station would replace the CBC’s existing rebroadcasting transmitter CBLA-FM-2 Paris. The new station would continue to broadcast programming received from the CBC’s national Radio One network but would also broadcast a minimum of 12 hours and 30 minutes of local programming to Kitchener-Waterloo residents in each broadcast week. The new FM station would operate under the same technical parameters as currently authorized for CBLA-FM-2. This transmitter would be removed from the licence of CBLA-FM Toronto.


On February 22, the CRTC administratively renewed the licences for CBLA-FM Toronto and its transmitters to August 31, 2013.

On March 11, some local programming was added to the 89.1 CBLA-FM-2 schedule. For the majority of the day, the station still rebroadcast CBLA 99.1 Toronto. K-W area listeners would now wake up with local morning show hosted by Craig Norris. A local studio was set up at 117 King Street West in downtown Kitchener. 

On April 25, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to operate an English-language FM radio station in Paris. The Commission also approved the CBC’s application to amend the broadcasting licence for CBLA-FM Toronto by deleting the transmitter CBLA-FM-2 Paris. The CBC indicated that the station would continue to broadcast programming from its Radio One network, but would also broadcast at least 12 hours and 30 minutes of local programming directed to Kitchener-Waterloo residents in each broadcast week. Local programming would consist of a mix of local, national and international news, up-to-date weather forecasts, road conditions, sports coverage, interviews and short documentaries. 

On May 28, the CRTC renewed the licence of CBLA-FM Toronto and its transmitters CBCB-FM Owen Sound, CBCM-FM Penetanguishene, CBCO-FM Orillia, CBCP-FM Peterborough, CBLA-FM-1 Crystal Beach, CBLA-FM-2 Paris/Kitchener, CBLA-FM-3 Wingham, CBLA-FM-4 Shelburne, CBLR-FM Parry Sound, CBLU-FM Huntsville, CBLY-FM Haliburton, CBOD-FM Maynooth and CBLV Bancroft, for a five year term to August 31, 2018.


On September 23, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to operate an FM transmitter at Bancroft, operating on 99.3 MHz with ERP of 269 watts, replacing CBLV-AM.


CBLV-AM Bancroft became CBLA-FM-5 in February.

Robert Fisher retired in the summer after 49 years in journalism. He started out at CHWO Oakville in 1967 and later anchored the afternoon news at CJAD Montreal. Following his time there, he was Queen’s Park reporter at Global and spent many years in news at CBC Radio and Television in Toronto.


On May 11, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to change the authorized contours of CBCP-FM Peterborough, by modifying the antenna from a circular to an elliptical polarization, decreasing the average ERP from 10,170 to 5,442 watts (maximum ERP decreasing from 19,150 to 12,438 watts), increasing the EHAAT from 244.7 to 272.2 metres and correcting the coordinates for the location of the tower.

On May 26, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to change the authorized contours of CBCO-FM Orillia by increasing the average ERP from 5,200 to 13,520 watts (maximum ERP from 11,200 to 13,520 watts), changing the antenna radiation pattern from directional to non-directional and decreasing the EHAAT from 169.3 to 148.1 metres. The CBC stated that the changes would allow it to combine the Radio One service with its Radio Two service CBL-FM-3 Orillia on a single antenna and would maintain coverage in the Orillia region and its vicinity.

On July 19, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to change the authorized contours of CBCM-FM Penetanguishene by decreasing the ERP from 2,800 to 1,760 watts and by increasing the EHAAT from 145.5 to 184.8 metres. The CBC stated that it would replace the antennas for CBCM-FM and CJBC-3-FM with a single antenna.

On November 22, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application to change the authorized contours of CBCB-FM Owen Sound by changing the antenna’s radiation pattern from non-directional to directional, decreasing the average ERP from 100,000 to 39,174 watts and decreasing the EHAAT from 212 to 210.6 metres.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station