CHBB-FM, Community – The Voice of Bonne Bay , Norris Point

Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corp.

CHBB-FM201195.940Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corp.


On November 4, the CRTC approved an application by Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation for a broadcasting licence to operate an English-language low-power Type A community FM radio station in Norris Point. The proposed station would operate at 95.9 MHz (channel 240LP) with an average effective radiated power of 30 watts (maximum ERP of 40 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 14.5 metres). Bonne Bay indicated that, during each broadcast week, the station would broadcast 40 hours of programming, all of which would be locally produced. It further stated that over 50% of the category 3 (Special Interest Music) musical selections broadcast would be Canadian selections. A total of 15% of the programming broadcast on the station would be devoted to spoken word programming, including news, interviews, publicity for local events and Parks Canada information relating to Gros Morne National Park. The applicant indicated that 75% of the news programming would be local news, and the remaining 25% regional news. Bonne Bay stated that it would regularly feature local music and spoken word artists, would encourage participation of local school groups (drama clubs), and would participate fully in community festivals to ensure the regional broadcast of events. It further stated that it would also provide ongoing training and supervision of those within the community wishing to participate in programming. Volunteers would be trained by a station manager, and advertisements in local newspapers and flyers would seek community members eager to learn all aspects of the station operations, including live-to-air broadcasts, pre-recorded broadcasts, management of the studio and administration. In addition, Bonne Bay would conduct community workshops with local schools and the Journalism faculty of the College of the North Atlantic, which would teach media-related skills to the community. The licence would expire on August 31, 2016. 


CHBB-FM began broadcasting on a permanent basis on December 12. Until this time the station had annual specialty broadcasts for the local Trails, Tales and Tunes festival and special events organized by one of their partners, the Community University Research for Recovery Alliance. CHBB-FM was known on air as “VOBB the Voice of Bonne Bay”. The station was located in the Norris Point’s former Cottage Hospital building, 2-6 Hospital Lane. 


On September 12, the CRTC approved the application by Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation to amend the broadcasting licence for CHBB-FM, in order to add a new low-power FM transmitter at Rocky Harbour. The new transmitter would operate at 98.1 MHz (channel 251LP) with an average effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -31.2 metres). Bonne Bay stated that the topography of the region interfered with its signal in Rocky Harbour and that the addition of a rebroadcasting transmitter was necessary for it to adequately serve that community. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision were for a low-power unprotected FM service, the Commission reminded the licensee that it would have to select another frequency if the Department of Industry so required.


On April 11, the CRTC gave approval to The Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation to change the transmitter site of CHRH and raise its antenna EHAAT from -31.2 to 29.5 metres.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station