CKCW-FM , K 94, Moncton

Maritime Broadcasting System Ltd.

CKCW-FM200094.519,000Maritime Broadcasting System
CKCW-AM1994122025,000Maritime Broadcasting System
CKCW-AM1988122025,000Maritime Broadcasting System (Maclean-Hunter 100%)
CKCW-AM1986122025,000Eastern Broadcasting (Maclean-Hunter 84%)
CKCW-AM1972122010,000Eastern Broadcasting Co.
CKCW-AM194712205,000Moncton Broadcasting Ltd. (Fred Lynds)
CKCW-AM19411400100Moncton Broadcasting Co.
CKCW-AM19341370100Moncton Broadcasting Co.


Moncton Broadcasting Co. opened station CKCW on December 4. It broadcast on a frequency of 1370 kHz and had a power of 100 watts. Studios and offices were located in the Knights of Pythia Building. Moncton Broadcasting was owned by J. L. Black; F. R. Sumner and H. M. Wood.


Under the Havana Treaty CKCW moved from 1370 to 1400 kHz (Class IV) on March 29. Power was 100 watts.

Earl McCarron and Clair Chambers were announcers at CKCW. 


Power increased to 250 watts.


Fred A. Lynds was CKCW’s manager.

Ad slogan of the day: CKCW Delivers You Maximum Audience – Morning, Noon or Night.

Clair Chambers left CKCW after two years to become manager of CKSO Sudbury. Earl McCarron was program director.


Berk Brean was a sportscaster at CKCW.


Fred Lynds
Fred Lynds


Ross Rowlands returned to CKCW after serving in the RCAF.  Alf Parkes joined the staff of CKCW as director of public relations. He had worked in the past for CJGX in Yorkton.


Lionel the Lobster was introduced in CKCW promotional material. CKCW was known as “The Hub of the Maritmes”.

CKCW moved from 1400 kHz to1220 kHz and increased power from 100 watts to 5,000 watts. The change took place at 12:20 p.m. on June 17. G. F. G. Bridges, Mayor of Moncton spoke on 1400 kHz and then threw the switch that transferred the station to the new 5,000 watt transmitter and 1220 kHz. Now that CKCW had gone to 5,000 watts, the station turned its unused 250 watt transmitter over to the forestry service as a shortwave base to men in the field. 

CKCW’s F.A. “Freddie” Lynds accepted the Beaver community service award for his station. CKCW was so well thought of in its community that a service club offered to keep the station staffed amateur announcers from its membership rather than see the station go off the air for want of help. CKCW cooperated with the local tourist bureau by interviewing tourists and then giving them a disc of the chat. 
Margaret Carter worked in the traffic department. Berk Brean was a sports commentator. 

At the end of the year, F.A. (Fred) Lynds, manager of CKCW for the past 8 years, acquired control of the Moncton Broadcasting Co. Ltd. which operated the station. Lynds would continue to manage the station. 


Station Manager Fred Lynds purchased CKCW.

John Merrifield was an announcer at CKCW. Ted Davis joined CKCW as transmitter operator. 

Earl McCarron, program director and chief announcer at CKCW, resigned after 12 years in radio. Librarian Hubert Button would take over as PD. Berk Brean was appointed chief announcer. John Merrifield joined CKCW as script writer and announcer. He had been with CHSJ Saint John. Bob Reid was an announcer at CKCW. 

Chester Sutherland joined CKCW’s sales staff. He had been a free-lance writer and producer in Toronto from 1933-37. After leaving the RCAF in 1939, he worked in sales at CHUM Toronto and CHML in Hamilton. Donald E. Swift was appointed news director. He was the former maritime manager of the BUP news service and later became head of the UPI news desk in New York. Jim White was chief engineer. Gerry Stovin (Horace N. Stovin’s son) joined CKCW as announcer-writer. He had been with CFOR in Orillia. Bernadette Wrynne joined CKCW’s news department. Tom Rafferty joined CKCW’s staff. He had been announcer/producer at CKNX Wingham.

The CKCW transmitter site was at Cherryfield.


Jack Reid was an announcer. The following staff members left CKCW: Dorothy Renton (accountant), Lois Rockwell (receptionist), and Marg Carter (traffic manager). They were replaced respectively by Ned Cummings, Rita Leger and Norma Murray. Program director Tom Rafferty left to return to CKNX Wingham and was replaced by Roy Hicks, continuity director. Earl Ross, former CKCL news commentator and sportscaster, joined the announce staff. John Merryfield, librarian, left CKCW and was replaced by Billy Cannaire. Bill Cunningham started his broadcasting career at CKCW as a reporter and news editor.


Bob “Pookie” Pugh was a program emcee. Al Bestall was commercial manager. 

CKCW, CFNB (Fredericton) and CFBC (Saint John) formed Radio Press Ltd., a co-operative news service.

CKCW has been using “Lionel the Lobster” in its advertising for some time now.


Ross Rowlands (former manager of CKLB Oshawa) was back at CKCW as program director. Alf Parkes was publicity director.

The CBC Board approved a transfer of licence but no details were available. There was no change in control.


A February fire in the Knights of Pythias Building, home to CKCW caused little trouble for the station. Except for some burned out circuits, CKCW only really suffered some smoke damage.

Reg Stockhall was a control room operator. Mike Stephens was an announcer. Jim White was chief engineer and Ross Rowlands was program director. Al Bestall left CKCW and the radio business…but not for long. He became manager of CJRW in Summerside. Fred Hearne joined the CKCW announce staff. Veteran CKCW staff member Hubert Button was named publicity director.

Slogan: We don’t sell time…we sell results. 

Mike Wood was program director. Bill Cunningham left CKCW for Broadcast News.


Earle Ross was sports director. Lloyd Chester was an announcer. Tom Tonner was sales manager. His brother, Bill, had just been named program director of CFBC in Saint John. Whitey Hains was evening DJ at CKCW.

The sixth annual Moncton Music Festival was officially opened by Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent. The event had been sponsored by CKCW from the beginning. The Prime Minister said CKCW provided through the festival an “admirable illustration” of the way in which local radio stations can stimulate the growth and appreciation of music in the community.

CKCW applied to the CBC for an increase in power from 5,000 to 10,000 watts. The regulator deferred the application for further study.


In April, CKCW’s power increased to 10,000 watts full-time (directional at night), using two towers.

CKCW’s power increase application – deferred earlier – was now approved. The station would up its power from 5,000 to 10,000 watts. 

An ad in June promoted the fact that CKCW was now 10,000 watts.

Bob Tabor was program director.


Tom Tonner was promoted to manager. He had been sales manager. Tonner would continue to manage sales too for now.

CKCW-TV was licensed.

Bob Reid was special events director. Bill Murray was on-air.

CKCW-TV opened December 4 – CKCW-AM’s 20th anniversary. 


Guy Royal joined CKCW to host the morning show. He had been at CJCB Sydney. 


Guy Royal moved from the morning show to do full-time sales work. 


CKCW was a CBC Dominion affiliate. Ownership of Moncton Broadcasting Limited: F. A. Lynds 69.7%, C. L. Peters 30.0%, R. M. Palmer 0.1%, C. E. Leger 0.1% and C. H. Blakeny 0.1%. Fred A. Lynds was president of the company and Tom H. Tonner was CKCW’s manager.

DJ Bob Dell hosted a Saturday show aimed at teenagers. Guy Royal left CKCW for Toronto. 

From an Ad: CKCW had grown from 250 to 10,000 watts – making it the most powerful independent operating in the Atlantic region. 


Ad slogan: Twenty-two hours of live productions weekly featuring…news, weather, sports, women’s shows, children’s shows, musical and quiz shows – CKCW-TV/Radio. 

Some CKCW-Radio-TV staffers: Claude Cain (news), Douglas Harkness (news), Joe Irvine (TV program director), Russ Cochrane (cameraman), Ilona Varjassy (cameraman), Earle Ross, Gerry Fogarty, Bob Reid, Bob Steeves, Tom Tonner, Bob Oke (assistant studio engineer) and Basil Clooney (TV). 


The Board of Broadcast Governors approved the formation of the Atlantic Broadcasting System with affiliates CKCW Moncton, CFNB Fredericton, CFCY Charlottetown, CHNS Halifax, CFBC Saint John and CJCB Sydney.


Earle Ross was sports director. Tom Toner was manager of CKCW Radio-Television.

CKCW, CFNB, CFCY, CFBC and CJCB were members of the Atlantic Broadcasting System, a privately-owned netowrk, established by the stations.

Ad slogan: We don’t sell time – we sell results – CKCW – CKCW-TV – Moncton, New Brunswick.


The CBC merged the Dominion and Trans-Canada networks into a single service. CKCW became an independent station following the consolidation.


Fred A. Lynds was president of Moncton Broadcasting Ltd. and general manager of CKCW.


In December, government approval was given for CKCW Radio and TV to move studios to 191-195 Halifax Street. 


Broadcast News was the main source of news for radio stations in Canada but only a handful at this time were subscribing to BN’s voice (audio) service. CKCW was one of those stations.


On March 28, The Island Radio Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (owned by Jack Schoone & Irving Zucker’s Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd.) was given approval to purchase CKCW Radio from Moncton Broadcasting Limited. 


Dave Lockhart joined CKCW from CFBC in Saint John, where he had been news director and host of Talk of the Town. He was the brother of Robert Lockhart. Roy Geldart became news director. Allan K. Parks and Ed Lesley joined CKCW.


Doug Pond returned to CKCW from London, becoming morning man and program director. Sandy Gillis was bumped to mid-days.


Wayne Spencer and John Bulger joined CKCW. Sandy Gillis left for CJCW Sussex.


Eastern Broadcasting launched CFQM-FM.


Jack Schoone
Jack Schoone

On November 17, Jack W. Schoone, on behalf of three separate companies to be incorporated, was given approval to acquire CKCW-CFQM, CJCW (Sussex) and CFCY (Charlottetown) from The Island Broadcasting Co. Ltd.  There was no change in ownership as the stations would continue to be part of Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. The new corporate name for CKCW was CKCW Broadcasting Ltd.


CKCW received approval to increase full-time power from 10,000 watts to 25,000 watts. 

Roy Geldart was no longer news director. Sandy Gillis returned to CKCW. He had been with CJCW Sussex. Gary Crowell was manager. 


A.K. Parks returned to CKCW.


On July 11, CKCW and CFQM moved in to a brand new studio and office complex at 1000 St. George Boulevard in suburban Moncton. The new building also housed the corporate offices for Eastern Broadcasting. Eastern was faced with expiring leases at three separate locations in the downtown core; there was a desire to consolidate under one roof; and much of the equipment needed replacing. It was for those reasons that a brand new facility was the route that was taken. Owner Jack Schoone, along with Inducon Consultants of Toronto, came up with the design for the new three-level, 15,000 square foot facility. Construction began in November of 1980.

The ground floor of the new building contained chiefly administration and sales. The upper level housed all on-air and studio/production facilities, as well as news operations for both AM and FM. The lower level contained the music libraries, cafeteria, storage and engineering. AM and FM studio operations are totally separate with only the newsroom in common. Each station has a master control room, two production control rooms and two production/talk/news studios. All were equipped for stereo. Eastern chose to go with Ward-Beck consoles, Technics turntables, Studer reel to reels and ITC cart machines. Both CKCW and CFQM use Moseley microwave STL’s.

One of the old buildings that Eastern had occupied in downtown Moncton was Assumption Place. Moncton’s new station – CHLR – began broadcasting from that building when it signed on the air in October.

Construction on CKCW’s new 25,000 watt transmitter site got underway in May. The site was located just west of Moncton. It featured a two tower array and Harris MW-20 transmitter. The proof of performance on the new operation got underway on September 1. The 25 kw signal gave excellent coverage in southern and eastern New Brunswick, as well as northern and eastern Nova Scotia, and most of Prince Edward Island. CKCW operated with different day and night directional patterns.

Much of the work at the new studio/office complex and transmitter site was led by Eastern’s vice president of engineering, Brian Hooper.


Gerald Kennedy was appointed general manager of Eastern Broadcasting by Jack Schoone. The chartered accountant joined Eastern eight years ago as secretary-treasurer.

On August 20, CKCW Broadcasting (1980) Ltd. received approval to acquire CKCW from CKCW Broadcasting Ltd. Control would continue to be held by Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. 


Bill Roberts became CKCW’s news director, replacing Paul McNulty who left to pursue a law degree. Roberts had been with CKGM in Montreal. Dave Lockhart became news director.


On December 3, the CRTC approved the sale of 90% of Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (nine stations, including CKCW and CFQM-FM) through the transfer of 84% of its issued shares to Maritime Broadcasting Co. Ltd., (wholly owned by Maclean-Hunter Ltd.). The managers of the individual stations would hold a 6% interest in their respective operations and Jack Schoone would hold 10%. Eastern had been equally owned by J. Irving Zucker and Jack Schoone. Schoone would become president of Maritime, as well as of Eastern.


John Bulger joined CKCW news from CIHI Fredericton.

Sandy Gillis was general manager of CKCW and CFQM-FM.

Paul Alan left CKCW to become program director at CHTN Charlottetown. 


Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. and Maritime Broadcasting Co. Ltd. merge into Maritime Broadcasting System Ltd. 

Geoff Campbell joined CKCW as operator and announcer. 


Robert Burns joined CKCW from CFNB Fredericton.


On December 19, the CRTC approved the transfer of effective control of Maritime Broadcasting System Limited to 2337017 Nova Scotia Limited. The new owner – made up of an investor group, including Maritime Broadcasting President Mervyn Russell, along with Robert Pace and J. Gerald Godsoe. This followed the purchase of Maclean Hunter Ltd. (Maritime’s parent) by Rogers Communications Ltd. 


Automated programming resulted in the loss of six jobs at CKCW and CFQM-FM.

A.D. Sandy Gillis announced he would retire from CKCW / CFQM as of July 1. He started at CHER Sydney and later worked for CJON Radio-TV in St. John’s. Gillis joined CKCW when it was bought by Jack Schoone in 1972. 


Geoff Campbell joined the CKCW-CFQM news department. He had worked at the stations in the past.


Steve Jones left as CKCW/CFQM-FM program director to take up the same post at CKRA-FM in Edmonton.


Gair Maxwell was in the sports department. 


On August 24, Maritime Broadcasting System Limited was given approval to convert CKCW to the FM band, operating on 94.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 19,000 watts. 

Geoff Campbell left the CKCW-CFQM news department.


CKCW-FM signed on the air.


Having been replaced by 94.5 FM, CKCW 1220 left the air on April 11. 


Robert Burns and Wayne Spencer, both long-timers, were laid off.


Former CKCW staffer Robert Burns, passed away.


On June 29 the CRTC renewed CKCW-FM’s licence until August 31, 2012. Condition of licence: In addition to the amount required under condition of licence number 5 set out in Public Notice 1999-137, the licensee shall devote $28,000 annually towards the development of Canadian talent.


Announcer Matt Rideout left for sister station CFQM-FM.

Josh McLellan left K945 (afternoon drive and music director) for CHWV-FM Saint John.

It was announced that Krysta Janssen would be returning to Moncton, as the new K 94.5’s afternoon drive host and music director. Krysta held the position previously (left two years ago). The K-Drive with Krysta J started October 19.

On October 19, Krysta Janssen returned to Moncton as the new K 94.5’s afternoon drive announcer and music director. 


Jody Tedford joined 103.9 MAX FM as morning host, from Grand Falls, N.B. where he was hosting the afternoon drive on K 93 FM. Jody joined Jody & Erika, weekday mornings from 5:30 to 10:00. New Weekend announcer! Kurt Donald, 20 year radio vet from the Moncton Market also moved to the Radio Moncton family, to be heard live Saturday on K 94.5 and then Live on 103.9 MAX FM on Sundays.


Maggie Daley was the new director of promotions for 103.9 MAX FM/K94-5/ Choix 99.9 Moncton. She succeeded Matthew Cacchione who was promoted to operations manager for the cluster.


On August 8, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CKCW-FM until August 31, 2013.


Don Chamberlain passed away January 26 at age 73. His radio stops over the years included Eastern Broadcasting in Charlottetown, CFOR Orillia, CKCW Moncton, CJBK-CJBX London, CKTY-CFGX Sarnia and CHYR Leamington, and many others. 

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station