CIOK-FM, K 100, Saint John

Maritime Broadcasting System Ltd.

CIOK-FM1999100.5100,000Maritime Broadcasting Ltd.
CIOK-FM1987100.5100,000CIOK Broadcasting Ltd.


On December 3, Mervyn Russell’s application for an independent FM station at Saint John was approved. The station would operate on the frequency 100.5 MHz, with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts. Eastern Broadcasting Co. Ltd. would hold effective control of the company to be incorporated as the principal shareholder with 70% of the issued voting shares, and Mervyn Russell would hold the remaining 30%. A competing application by CHSJ was denied. The first new radio station in Saint John in over 21 years, would offer a Beautiful Music MOR / Soft Rock format for the 25-44 age group.


CIOK-FM was launched on 100.5 mHz with 100,000 watts. 

Gary Crowell was CIOK’s general manager. 

Jim Goldrich returned to Saint John (at K-100) after seven years with CJYQ in St. John’s.


Warren McIntyre left K100 to become mid-day announcer at CHTN Charlottetown.

Mark Lee became PD. He had been program director at CFBC. He replaced Don Mabee who moved to CFCY/Q93 in Charlottetown. Gary Crowell was K100’s general manager. 


On June 29 the CRTC renewed CIOK-FM’s licence until August 31, 2012. The licensee was reminded not to solicit advertising in either the Fredericton or Moncton markets. 


News Director Brian McLain, after 21 years with MBS/Maclean Hunter Saint John, moved across the street. McLain joined Acadia Broadcasting’s Country 94/97.3 The Wave as Assistant ND.


Geoff Walsh, Music Director/announcer at Maritimes Broadcasting System Halifax the last three years, was promoted to Operations Manager at MBS Saint John. 

Hugh Morrisson returned to Astral Atlantic Fredericton October 3 as head of technical services after a decade at MBS Saint John. 


The strike at Maritime Broadcasting System’s three stations in Saint John entered its ninth month. Seven employees at CFBC/K-100/Big John FM walked off the job in June (2012) seeking higher wages and paid overtime. 


Dan Roman (Raymond Mostoway) died December 21 at the age of 75. He had been GM at K100 until his retirement and previously worked at CKSW Swift Current, CJCH and CHNS Halifax and CKCW-FM Moncton. He also worked on air in Toronto with his brother, Duff Roman (at CKEY and CHUM). The brothers co-founded Roman Records, with their label producing David Clayton Thomas, The Paupers, and Levon and The Hawks.


In February, MBS Radio laid off all of the air staff at CIOK, CJYC and CFBC. The stations were now being voice-tracked from out of market. The stations were unionized in 2012 and this resulted in a nearly 2-year lockout by management.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station