CFWM-FM, BOB fm, Winnipeg

Bell Media Inc.

CFWM-FM201199.9100Bell Media
CFWM-FM200199.9100CHUM Ltd.
CFWM-FM199899.9100Standard Broadcasting Ltd.
CFWM-FM199799.9100Celtic Communications (Standard Broadcasting 25%)
CFWM-FM199699.9100Celtic Communications
CKRC-AM199563010Celtic Communications
CKRC-AM199163010Western World Communications
CKRC-AM196363010TransCanada Communications Ltd.
CKRC-AM19466305Trans Canada Communications Ltd.
CKRC-AM19406301TransCanada Communications Ltd. (Sifton family)
CJRC-AM19356301James Richardson & Sons
CJRW-AM19336850.5James Richardson & Sons
CJRW-AM19338800.5James Richardson & Sons – Xsmitter @ Fleming
CJRW-AM19316650.5James Richardson & Sons – Xmitter @ Fleming
CJRW-AM19286000.5James Richardson & Sons Saskatchewan


Grain merchants James Richardson and Sons Ltd., who were denied a licence in Manitoba by the provincial government, established a transmitter just west of the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border at Fleming, and a studio in the Royal Alexandra Hotel, Winnipeg, connected by a Canadian Pacific Telegraphs land-line. The operation was licensed as CJRW, Fleming, Saskatchewan. It began transmitting on 600 kHz with 500 watts of power. In 1926, the Richardson’s founded CJRM in Moose Jaw. They used these stations to provide farmers and grain elevator operators in the “Breadbasket of Canada” with up-to-the-minute grain and market prices, and also provided various entertainment programs. 

A.J. “Tony” Messner started his radio career at CJRW (as well as CKY Winnipeg and two shortwave stations). He did a daily series of talks over the stations.


CJRW changed its frequency to 665 kHz.


CJRW changed frequency to 880 kHz.

James Richardson & Sons were successful in obtaining a licence for a 100-watt station in Winnipeg. The CJRC call letters were assigned. The company also received federal permission to operate a studio in Regina and to move CJRM’s transmitter from Moose Jaw to Belle Plain, midway between Moose Jaw and Regina. The new transmitter would operate with 1,000 watts on new frequency of 540 kHz. The new facility would be shared by the Regina and Moose Jaw studios. The CPR broadcast line to Fleming was extended to Regina, and the three studios (in Winnipeg, Regina and Moose Jaw), exchanged some programs from their cities.

Don Copeland joined the James Richardson stations in Winnipeg and Regina from CKGW Toronto.


The Moose Jaw studios were closed and the Fleming transmitter was shut down, as was the inter-city broadcast line to Regina.


CJRC received permission to increase its power to 1,000 watts day and 500 watts night, and to move to 630 kHz on the dial.

Don Copeland left the radio business. He had been with CJRC for two years and was formerly with CKGW (CRCT) Toronto.


CJRC was authorized to increase power from 1,000 watts day and 500 watts night to 1,000 watts day and night.

George Titus was promoted to commercial manager of CJRC. Jack Kemp joined the commercial department on September 15. He had been with CHWC and CKCK Regina and most recently, CKSO Sudbury. He was promoted to assistant manager on December 1. Hugh Young was appointed promotions and special events manager of CJRC.

On December 1, CJRC completed what was believed to be the longest remote broadcast by an independent radio station when it aired a 15 minute program from Iceland, 7,000 miles away. The program was arranged by CJRC to celebrate the anniversary of Iceland’s sovereignty and to salute Winnipeg’s 8,000 Icelanders, the largest such population outside of Reykjavik itself. CJRC fed the program to CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRO and CJRX Winnipeg.


Bert Hooper joined CJRC as chief engineer, from CJRM Moose Jaw and CKCK Regina where he had been on air as well as chief engineer since 1922. Jim McRae came to CJRC from CJGX Yorkton. Announcer Harry McLoy left CJRC for Regina’s CJRM. Victor F. Neilsen, longtime CFCF general manager, resigned to become GM of the Richardson stations – CJRC Winnipeg, CJRM Regina and shortwave stations CJRO and CJRX Winnipeg. He replaced Harry McLaughlin, who resigned. Clair Chambers, former sports and specialty announcer for CJRC and CJRM, joined CKSO Sudbury on September 1 to do sales and production work. George A. Titus left CJRC as commercial manager to become manager of CKCA in Kenora. Former CJRC producer Fred Haywood, was now with CKSO Sudbury.


In April, Victor Sifton and family, interested in having a radio station in the same city as their Winnipeg Free Press, bought the radio division of James Richardson & Sons Ltd (CJRC Winnipeg and CJRM Regina) from the Richardson Estate. Purchase of CJRM gave the Sifton’s ownership of both stations in Regina as CKCK was owned by their Regina Leader-Post newspaper. The proprietorship of two radio stations in the same city, especially when owned by the only daily newspaper, was at odds with the licensing policy of the CBC. The Siftons were aware of this situation, but had been keen on having a station in Winnipeg and in order to obtain CJRC had to buy the full package. The conflict could have bean solved if the Siftons had been allowed to move CJRM from Regina to Saskatoon as a companion to the Star-Phoenix. A serious attempt was made to bring this about, but the regulator would not give its permission.

Sabotage was likely in the April 6 cutting of a two inch lead-encased conduit from the CJRC studios to the transmitter outside the city limits. Program service was interrupted for an hour.

Victor Sifton, president of Trans-Canada Communications of Winnipeg, operating CJRC, CJRM and CKCK, was appointed acting Master General of Ordinance for Canada.

As of September 1, Taylor Pearson & Carson Ltd. (Harold Carson, president) took over management and operation of CJRC and CJRM. At the same time, TP&C ended its management and commercial operation of CKY and CKX, a relationship that had been 
in place for the past four years.

F.H. (Tiny) Elphicke, recently manager of CJCA (Edmonton), was named manager of CJRC (Winnipeg). Victor F. Nielsen of CJRC moved to CFAC (Calgary). Gordon Henry of CFAC moved to CJCA. Fred Scanlon of CJRM (Regina) was elevated to manager of that station. New commercial manager at CJRC was P.H. Gayner, formerly with All-Canada in Winnipeg. Stewart MacPherson, formerly with the BBC, would hold a similar job at CJRC. Bob Straker, chief accountant of CJRC was moved to CFAC as program director, replacing Pat Freeman, who joined the RCAF. Fred Luce, CJRC salesman, was transferred to CJRM as was Ken Anderson, accountant. Three CJRC staffers entered military service: Ken Cameron, chief studio engineer (with the station since 1934); Keith McConnell, control engineer; and Hugh Young, special events and sports. Stuart MacKay left CJRC for Vancouver’s CKWX. Harry McLoy returned to CJRC as an announcer.

CJRC became a subscriber of the British United Press news service.


Under the Havana Treaty CJRC was to move from 630 to 610 kHz (Class III-A) with 1,000 watts but the treaty was revised and the station would remain on 630 kHz (Class III-A) with 1,000 watts. On March 29, hundreds of stations in North America changed their dial position as part of the agreement.

Former CJRC (and CKSO Sudbury) engineer Tom Holup was now with CKGB Timmins. Nine members of staff were on active service with the Canadian army and air force. Latest to go on active service: Lt. Jack Thompson (announcer), Harry Harrod (continuity) and Claude Olson (sales). Five members of the staff were in the reserve army: Cpt. P. H. Gayner, Lt. Don Duncan, Cpl. Ev Dutton, Pt. Jack Kemp and Pt. Jim McRae.

CJRC started building new state of the art studios and offices in the Winnipeg Free Press Building on Carlton Street. The station would occupy the entire third floor and special acoustic construction was necessary to overcome vibration from presses in the basement. Included would be a large studio seating 200 with glass enclosed demonstration kitchen at rear of the stage, a concert studio and two smaller studios, as well as a dozen offices, large public reception hall and artist lounge. The station expected to move by mid-September. CJRC had operated from the Royal Alex.

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network’s first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate – CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network – outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth.


Don Wright (announcer) and Jack Wells (special events announcer) worked at CJRC. F.H. (Tiny) Elphicke was transferred to CKWX Vancouver. He was succeeded by Gerry Gaetz who had been managing CKCK in Regina. Waldo Holden became CJRC’s sales manager, Lyall Holmes was the new production manager and Jack Kemp became program director. Jim McRae left for CKUA in Edmonton.

CJRC announced that its new studios in the Free Press Building (300 Carlton Street) were now operational.


CJRC became CKRC while Regina’s CJRM became CKRM.

CKRC operated two shortwave stations – CKRO on 6,150 kHz and CKRX on 11,720 KHz. Both operated with a power of 2,000 watts from transmitters located at Middlechurch. One of them started out in 1929 as VE9JR.


CKRC became the Dominion Network affiliate in Winnipeg.

CKRC’s power was increased to 5,000 watts day and night.

Jack Wells was sports announcer. Omar Blondahl (announcer) left CKRC for CJGX in Yorkton. Gertrude Maher, originator and personality of women’s programs on CKRC for the past three years, left the station after getting married to former CKRC engineer, Archie Slater, who was now studio engineer at CKOC in Hamilton. Orrin Botsford was appointed supervisor of local sales. He had been on the sales staff for two years. Announcer and sportscaster Jack Wells was named night supervisor. Charles Skelding became chief announcer. George Retzlaff was promoted from control operator to chief operator. Maurice Bunn was now feature editor and writer. Gordon Pollon became office manager. John Jackson was promoted from continuity writer to continuity editor. Beatrice Parenteau (formerly of CKAC Montreal) was named sales promotion director. Clyde Hamilton, Ted Savage and Spencer Smith joined the announcing staff. Hamilton and Savage had been with CJRL Kenora.

The Department of Transport issued two FM licences to CKRC. VD2D would be used as a mobile pickup unit and CK7H would be an emergency link between the Winnipeg studios and the transmitter at Middlechurch. Power for both would be 50 watts.



Announcer Ed McRea joined CKRC from CFQC in Saskatoon. Former CKRC announcer and operator Gordon Lee returned to the station as studio engineer. He had been with the RCAF, and replaced Gordon Woodward, who left for CFAR Flin Flon.


George Retzlaff left CKRC as chief operator for Toronto’s CFRB. CKRC operator Gordon Lee left for CJOB. Irene Potvin (of the Alice Mayfair program) left the station.


A.O. (Orris) Botsford left CKRC’s sales department to become commercial sales manager at CKOC in Hamilton. Al Loewn was on-air at CKRC. Jack Kemp left CKRC for the production department at CKMO in Vancouver. Chief engineer Bert Hooper’s son Wally was on the air at the station. Val (Stan) Smith left CKRC’s publicity department on August 31. Kay Parkin was back at the station after an illness. She was now working in sales and promotions. After about two years with CKRC, Spence Smith left the station. Charlie “Chuck” Skelding left CKRC after about four years of service. Gordon Walberg left CKRC for CKMO Vancouver. Eve Henderson was women’s editor. Peggy McGannon joined CKRC’s continuity department. Bill Woodfield was a producer at the station. Jack Couper was in the news department. Vic Staples was appointed commercial manager (effective January 1, 1947). He had been with All-Canada in Toronto. Former commercial manager Waldo Holden left for CKEY Toronto. He had joined CKRC in 1940 and became sales manager in 1942. Andy Thompson left CKRC to join the CJOC Lethbridge announce staff. Jack Hill joined CKRC from Regina’s CKRM.

CKRC’s two short wave stations – CKRO and CKRX – had their coverage of a good portion of the world confirmed by mail response. Letters had been received from such places as Southern California, Florida, Vancouver, St. John’s, Alaska, South America, Seden, Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii.

CKRC was preparing for the fall return of popular network shows, including Bob Hope, Texaco Star Theatre and Charlie McCarthy. The station also planned to carry baseball’s World Series.


Jack Wells was chief of special events. Ken Ellis joined the announce staff. Dick Shouten joined CKRC as librarian. Ralph Haywood joined CKRC’s engineering department. Herbie Brittain became music director. Al Loewen was an announcer. Jack Anthony joined the announce staff. Maurice Desourdy joined the regular announce staff after doing the Eaton’s Home Service League broadcasts. Jim Wells left CKRC to become production manager at CJOR Vancouver. Kaye Ervine (from CJOC Lethbridge) and Eleanor Woolard (from CHAB Moose Jaw) joined CKRC’s continuity department. Dennis Lethbridge joined CKRC as an engineer. Women’s editor. Eve Henderson decided to leave radio (and CKRC) to return to Edmonton. Ken Babb joined CKRC’s continuity department. Peggy McGannon left the station. Jack Couper moved from his post as news reporter to join the sales department. He replaced Fred Adams who left the station. George Brimmell moved from continuity to news. Gordon Harrower was on the technical staff. Bill Guest joined CKRC’s announce staff from CKFI Fort Frances. Eve Henderson who had left CKRC earlier in the year to move to Edmonton and retire, ended up at CFRN in that city, after deciding she wasn’t ready to retire yet. Mel Christie joined the CKRC transcription library. Dick Shannon left the library staff to become an operator. Jack Kemp left CKRC for the sales department at CKWX Vancouver.

Chief engineer Bert Hooper reported he now had a 50 watt FM studio transmitter in operation. It was a standby for emergency purposes and would only be used during program line failures.


Elaine Wilson was a commentator on CKRC. Jack Wells left the station to do freelance work. He had been with CKRC since 1941 and would continue to do his nightly sportscast on the station. Kay Doyle left CKRC’s public relations staff.


Jack Scott was now freelancing in Toronto. Norman McLeod joined the CKRC sales staff from CJOC Lethbridge. Bill Valentine left CKRC sales for the commercial department at CFRB Toronto. Gene “Porky” Charbonneau was on-air at CKRC. Al Blondal joined the announce staff. Bill Woodfield replaced Gordon Pollon as accountant. Woodfield was replaced as continuity editor by Keith Murray. Norman Harrod, formerly with CJAT Trail and latterly, manager of CJIB Vernon, joined CKRC’s sales staff. Cliff Cox was hired to run the CKRC library, replacing Mel Christie who moved to the operating staff. 18 year old Dan Woods joined the CKRC announce staff from CKCK Regina. Jack Wells called Winnipeg Blue Bomber (CFL) games on CKRC. Gerry Gaetz was named manager of CJCA Edmonton, succeeding Gordon Henry. Gaetz had been manager of CKRC since 1942. Bill Speers, who ran CKRM Regina since 1944, replaced Gaetz at CKRC. Stuart MacKay, with CKWX since 1941, where he had been assistant manager, followed Speers at CKRM. Gaetz started in radio at CJOC Lethbridge as an announcer in 1929. Speers started as an announcer at CHWC Regina in 1931. MacKay got his start in the business as an announcer-operator at CJCA in 1938. CKRC commercial manager Victor R. Staples passed away August 10. He was 37. He had been an account executive with All-Canada in Toronto until he took over his position at CKRC last year. Bruce M. Pirie, commercial manager of CKRM Regina left for the same post at CKRC. Kay Parkin left the promotion department to become Pirie’s secretary. Clare Copeland took over the promotion department. Ev Dutton was on-air. Keith McConnell was an operator.


Clare Copeland (public relations director) moved to sales at CJCA Edmonton. He was replaced by Maurice Desourdy who had been on the announce staff.


Jack Wells hosted a nightly sports program on CKRC, morning sports on CBW, a Sunday sports show on CKRC, and did play-by-play commentary for local junior hockey on CJOB! Jack Anthony left the announce staff. Terry Clark replaced Elaine Wilson on the daily “Hudson Bay Shopping” program. Ken Babb moved from continuity to sales. Gene (Porky) Charbonneau hosted Porky’s Inn. Kerr Wilson was host of Musicades. John Edwards left CKRC for the soon to open (new) CKY. Terry Cox was now an operator at CKRC. Ruth Hand, commentator, continuity writer and actress, left CKRC for the U.S. Jean Bingham (traffic) left CKRC. Mary Medway, promotion director, took over as traffic chief. Margaret Hood left for the soon to open CKY. Don Fawcett left CKRC and radio, for the banking business (He would return to radio the following year – at CJOB). Winnipeg Blue Bomber games with Jack Wells were on CKRC this season. They had been on CJOB. William Spears was manager and Bruce Pirie was commercial manager.


Ad slogan: Listeners buy products. Good programs bring listeners. In Manitoba “Their Favorite Programs Are On” CKRC 630 on the dial – Winnipeg.

In May the Red River flooded. The CKRC transmitter site at St. Vital was in bad shape as a result. Chief engineer Bert Hooper and two assistants were stranded at the site for nine days. The transmitter failed so a new one was set up temporarily, on the roof of the Free Press building.

Some of the staff: Ken Norell, Ken Babb, Al Blondal, Bruce Stewart, George Knight, Al Loewen, Gordie Walker, Ralph Haywood, Dick Schouten and Herbie Brittain (musical director).


Ad slogan: More radios are consistently tuned to CKRC than to any other Manitoba station.

W. Keith Murray, former CKRC continuity editor was named Manitoba representative for Gooderham & Worts Ltd. Ev Dutton was a newscaster. Bill Walker was assistant program director.


Ad slogan: Only top coverage plus top listenership brings the best following in the Manitoba market.

Bill Walker was an announcer (had been CKRM Regina sales manager). Bob Bye was an announcer (former CKRM program director). George McLean did news (former CJRL Kenora manager). Bill Guest was an announcer. Bert Hooper was chief engineer. Ken Gray was chief operator. Bill Speers was station manager. Ken Babb was continuity editor.


Clifford Sifton filed an application seeking control of Transcanada Communications Ltd. (CKRC Winnipeg and CKCK-AM-TV Regina). It was approved.

Bill Edge was named to direct the national sales promotion activities of CKRC.

Ad slogan: Power + Listenership = CKRC.


Bill Walker who came to CKRC in 1950, left for the television business. Cliff Gardner would now be heard from 6:00 to 9:30 a.m. George Knight was an announcer. Maurice Smith was a sportscaster at CKRC. The CKRC news department: Ev Dutton (news director), Ron Alderson, Pat McDougall, Warner Troyer, Ron Oakes (reporter).

Ad slogan: Manitoba gets its NEWS from CKRC. Accurate up-to-the-minute news coverage.


CKRC commercial manager Bruce M. Pirie was named manager, western division, All-Canada Radio & TV Facilities Ltd., Winnipeg. All-Canada’s western supervisor (at Winnipeg), Robert F. Tait, became CKRC’s assistant manager. Pirie had been CKRC’s commercial manager for the past eight years. Jack Hill left CKRC for Hamilton’s CKOC.

Clifford Sifton, owner of CKRC, was appointed honorary lieutenant-colonel of the Governor-General’s Horse Guards, Toronto regiment.

CKRC’s sister station – CKRM in Regina – was sold to Western Communications Ltd.


CKRC operated as an affiliate of the CBC Dominion network on 630 kHz with power of 5,000 watts (directional at night). Ownership of Trans-Canada Communications Ltd. (aka Transcanada): Phoenix Management Ltd. 99.7%, Clifford Sifton 0.1%, M. C. Sifton 0.1%, T. A. Cookson 0.1%. Phoenix was owned entirely by Cortleigh Investments Ltd. which in turn was controlled by Clifford Sifton with Canada Permanent Mortgage Co. as a minority shareholder.

Bill Spears was CKRC’s manager. Bob Bye was program and production manager. Johnny Esaw was doing sports at CKRC. Uncle Ken’s (Ken Babb) Kiddies Karnival aired on CKRC from 9:30 to 10 a.m., Sundays.

Ad slogan: CKRC – Broadcasting to all of Manitoba from the Red River Valley.

In December, CKRC installed the first Continental 5,000 watt screen modulated transmitter in Canada.


John Cochrane joined CKRC from CFOB in Fort Frances, ON. Warner Troyer was parliamentary reporter. 

According to Elliott-Haynes, CKRC reached a total of 203,981 adult listeners every day.

ACMO – the All-Canada Mutually Operated stations set up a radio news bureau in August. The bureau channelled news from Ottawa by telegraph, telephone and tape recorder. Stations using the service: CJVI, CKWX, CJAT, CJCA, CFAC, CFGP, CJOC, CKCK, CKRC and CKOC.

CKRC had three mobile units, including a new mobile trailer studio – first of its kind in Winnipeg. From an ad: CKRC is willing (with its 3 mobile units) to go anywhere, anytime to serve the listeners of Manitoba.


It is uncertain when CKRC closed its shortwave transmitters. CKRX was still listed as operating in 1953 (not CKRO) but seemed to be gone before the end of the decade.


Following the death of Harold Carson, Trans-Canada Communications, a Sifton-owned company, took over the management of the three “Sifton stations” in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Regina. (Trans-Canada was succeeded later by Armadale Communications Ltd, with headquarters at the Sifton-owned airport in Buttonville, Ontario). 

The following ad lists all people on staff at CKRC in 1960: These talented people … R. Alderson (news announcer), V. Armen (announcer), T. Ashmore (announcer), K. Babb (music director), L. G. Ball (announcer), E. Bennett (C.C.A. director), R. T. Bye (programme manager), J. Cochrane (announcer), J. W. Couper (salesman), S. A. Dagg (continuity writer), D. Daly (announcer), E. F. Dutton (news editor), W. H. Edge (salesman), J. Esaw (sports director), J. S. Farrell (news announcer), G. C. Gardner (announcer), L. Gibson (continuity writer), V. Gillespie (receptionist), L. Gzebb (continuity editor), E. Halpenny (continuity writer), J. A. Hammond (manager), K. Harris (receptionist), A. W. Hooper (chief engineer), J. Jordan (operator), N. Kaspick (book-keeper), J. P. Keelan (salesman), W. K. Kozak (operator), R. T. Maguire (studio engineer), W. Michaluk (chief operator), J. G. McRory (sales manager), R. W. Oakes (news announcer), R. J. O’Donovan (salesman), M. Parker (operator), K. Parkin (secretary), J. Perreau (stenographer), C. V. Powell (news announcer), G. Robertson (operator), D. Rogers (secretary), G. Rost (book-keeper), R. J. Smith (librarian), E. Teillet (salesman), T. Thorsteinson (receptionist), J. E. Turnbull (announcer), P. Valentine (traffic), G. E. Vincent (transmitter operator), W. G. Woodfield (accountant) … will make radio history in ’60 on RADIO 630 CKRC Winnipeg.

Clifford Sifton was one of the applicants for a second television station in Winnipeg. Sifton was the publisher of the Regina Leader Post and Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, and owner of CKCK-AM-TV Regina and CKRC-AM Winnipeg. The licence was awarded to Ralph S. Misener & Associates and would become CJAY-TV and later, CKY-TV. 

Ad: Responsibility – you won’t find it in “Webster” – we have it all…Radio CKRC Winnipeg.

CKRC instituted a new programming policy – described as “Modern Radio”. Al Hammon was station manager and he said CKRC would still present news on the hour with fill-in briefs and no announcer ad-libbing. Announcers would not put together their own shows…instead, he would write his entire program with the assistance of the announce staff. To keep the listener tuned in longer, there would be no regular flow – for example, you would not always know what would follow the 8 p.m. newscast. Everything would be jumbled up. The new CKRC would play the complete musical spectrum.

As construction workers tore down CKRC’s old Playhouse studio built in 1941 by Tiny Elphicke, some radio history was coming to light…log boards bearing the names of George Young, Ernie Bushnell, Wally Koster, Bert Pearl, Esse Ljungh, Waldo Holden, Jack Dennett, Jack Scott and Bill Walker…scripts by Neil LeRoy, Beth Lockerbie and George Silverson. The construction work underway was to make way for ultra-modern studios. 

Ad – Responsibility – you won’t find it in “Webster”. We have it at … Radio CKRC Winnipeg. 

Bob Kenny returned to CKRC for the 2-5 shift. He had been at CKPT Peterborough for a brief time. Harvey Davidson joined the news department from CKCK. W.T. “Bill” Valentine, after 12 years as national sales rep at CFRB Toronto, resigned to become sales manager of CKRC. Bill started as a singer at CKRC in 1934 when it was still CJRC. He later moved to Toronto as an actor, announcer and singer, then went to CKSO Sudbury as announcer and sales rep. He returned to CKRC in 1941, then enlisted in the army. 

Tom Ashmore was in the CKRC promotion department. Cliff Gardner was at CKRC. Ron Oakes was appointed sports director, succeeding Johnny Esaw who left for the soon to open CFTO-TV in Toronto.


February program line-up: Red Alix (6:30-10:00 a.m.), Bob Washington (10-noon), Doug Burrows (noon-3), Bob Washington (3-4), Dave Palmer (4-8), Jim Paulson (8-1) and Murray Parker (1-6:30 a.m.)

CKRC increased power to 10,000 watts full-time, using three 405′ towers at St. Vital. It operated with separate day and night directional patterns.

The Dominion and Trans-Canada networks consolidated into a single CBC Radio network. CKRC’s affiliation with the CBC came to an end. 


Michael C. Sifton, President of Transcanada Communications Ltd. announced the appointment of Harold A. Crittenden as Vice President and director of the company. 

H. A. Crittenden, Vice-President and General Manager of Transcanada Communications appointed R. A. Pitt as Executive Assistant of the company, with head office in Toronto.


John Cochrane left for CJOB Winnipeg.


James (Jim) R. Grisenthwaite, a former manager of sister station CKCK-AM in Regina, was named CKRC’s general manager. Michael Sifton was president of the company. Ken Babb was program manager and Don Slade was morning man.


Some of CKRC’s on-air names: Bob Bradburn, Doc Steen, Jim Paulson and Bernie Pascal.

Jim Grisenthwaite left CKRC as general manager to take up the same position at CKOC in Hamilton. CKRC production manager Bob MacDonald succeeded Grisenthwaite as general manager at CKRC.

Lee Sayre left CKRC as news editor after 5 1/2 years effective November 1, for Manitoba government work. Bill Stovin Jr. and Mel Faris joined the announce staff. Stovin had been with CKOM Saskatoon and Faris had been at Montreal’s CKGM. Ed Teillet, former manager of KCND-TV, joined CKRC as an account executive.


Gary Hart was on-air.


Broadcast News was the main source of news for radio stations in Canada but only a handful at this time were subscribing to BN’s voice (audio) service. CKRC was one of those stations.


Transcanada Communications became Armadale Communications.


Gary Miles became general manager of CKRC. He had been manager at CKCK in Regina since 1969.


Billy Gorrie was one of the CKRC announcers. Dick Wilson left CKRC for the weekend shift at CFRW. Doc Stone was at CKRC.


CKRC’s program director was Bob Washington. He was famous for the K-tel TV commercials.


CKRC now had a country format. Announcers included Stan Kubiceck and Buster Bodene (who left for CKGM in Montreal).


CKRC was granted an FM licence in 1979, and CKWG-FM went on the air on February 14, 1980, at 103.1 mHz with power of 100,000 watts.


On February 15, the CRTC renewed CKRC’s licence until September 30, 1989. The Commission commended the licensee for developing programs in support of local creative musical talent on an ongoing basis, such as its “Concert in the Park” specials and annual Canadian Music Competitions. 


On August 20, CKRC was authorized to make changes to its daytime pattern, extending service to the east and west with a slight reduction to the north. 

Bill Gorrie succeeded Gary Miles as general manager of CKRC and CKWG-FM. 


Carol Bruce was executive assistant at CKRC.

George Youngman was named general sales manager for CKRC and CKWG-FM. Richard W. Jackiw became marketing manager for the two stations.


CKWG-FM became CHZZ-FM. 


It was announced that Western World Communications would purchase CKRC-AM / CHZZ-FM and CKIT-FM / CKCK-AM from Michael Sifton’s Armadale Communications of Markham, Ontario. Sifton said Armadale planned to retain CKOC-AM / CKLH-FM in Hamilton but would focus more strongly on newspaper publishing.


On January 22, Clint C. Forster’s Western World Communications Ltd. received CRTC approval to acquire Winnipeg’s CKRC / CHZZ-FM and Regina’s CKCK / CKIT-FM from Michael Sifton’s Armadale Communications Ltd. Western World, based in Saskatoon, was licensee of CJWW Saskatoon, SK and CKST Langley, BC, and owned 100% of Balsa Broadcasting Corp., licensee of CHMG St. Albert, AB. CKCK and CKRC were two of the oldest radio stations in Western Canada.


CKRC and CKLU-FM moved to new studios and offices on the 17th floor of a high rise building at 155 Carlton Street. This was just three blocks away from the old facility in the historic Winnipeg Free Press Building. CKRC-AM had operated from that building for over fifty years. The new FM and AM control rooms featured Soundcraft SAC-200 boards. The production studio had a new Soundcraft 6000 stereo board. A Tascam 8-track recorder and Denon CD player were also added to the production room. The newsroom was equipped with Nakamichi cassette decks and IBM 386 computers. AM sound quality was improved thanks to new STL microwave link between the new studios and the CKRC transmitter. The move went smoothly as CKRC lost no air time and CKLU lost one second at the most. 

After the move, CKRC brought in new morning man Doug Anderson who was also program director. Other members of the management team at this time: Bill Gorrie (general manager), Bryan Zilkey (general sales manager), Daryl Braun (news director), Ken Porteous (senior producer) and Ray Patterson (chief engineer).


On January 30, the CRTC approved the application for authority to acquire the assets of CKRC Winnipeg from Western World Communications Limited Partnership, and for a broadcasting licence to continue the operation of this undertaking. The Commission issued a licence to 3152464 Manitoba Ltd. (Bill Gorrie and Terry O’Rourke – would later operate under the name of Celtic Communications), expiring 31 August 1997 (existing expiry date). It was noted that CKRC had been unprofitable over the past three years. 

CKRC switched from Country to Lite Rock on May 1.

Former CKRC morning man Bill Walker passed away on June 25. In 1954, he left CKRC for CBLT-TV in Toronto.


On January 18, the CRTC approved CKRC’s move from 630 kHz (AM) to 99.9 MHz (FM), with 100,000 watts of effective radiated power.


On July 15, the CRTC approved Standard Radio Ltd.’s acquisition of a 25% interest in Celtic Communications, which would reduce Bill Gorrie and Terry O’Rourke’s ownership share from 50% to 37.5% each.

On September 11, the CKRC 630 transmitter was shut down forever.


Standard Radio acquired 100% ownership of CFWM-FM. 

MAGIC 99.9 acquired the program “Lovers and Other Strangers” from Rogers Broadcasting. The two-hour Adult Contemporary love and relationships music show aired live from CHFI-FM Toronto nightly. 

Ray Walker was the new afternoon drive host at Magic 99.9. 

Lee Sterry, formerly with Power Broadcasting in Oshawa, became general manager at Standard’s Magic 99.9 Winnipeg. Former general manager Don Kay returned to his home town of Edmonton.


The CRTC approved the swap of stations between Standard Radio and CHUM radio which resulted in CHUM acquiring ownership of CFWM-FM.


CHUM Ltd. closed on its purchase of CFWM Magic 99.9 FM on February 1 and relaunched the station as Bob-FM (“Playing 80s, 90s and whatever) on March 4.


On April 14, CFWM was authorized to decrease its antenna height and operate from a new transmitter site. 

Allan Waters, the founder of CHUM Limited, owner of CFWM-FM, passed away at the age of 84, on December 3rd.


On July 12 it was announced that Bell Globemedia would pay C$1.7 billion for CHUM Ltd., in a deal that would see the company become part of the BCE-owned media conglomerate, subject to CRTC approval.  On August 31, the two companies announced that BGM had been successful in its offer to acquire approximately 6.7 million common shares and approximately 19.2 million non-voting Class B shares of CHUM.  The shares were to be placed in the hands of an independent trustee pursuant to a voting trust agreement approved by the CRTC.

On December 12th, it was announced that Bell Globemedia would henceforth be known as CTVglobemedia.


A CRTC hearing on the CTVglobemedia application to acquire the assets of CHUM Limited was held on April 30th 2007.  On June 8 the CRTC approved the acquisition of CHUM Ltd. by CTVglobemedia, on condition that CTV sell off its five City-TV stations, CITY-TV Toronto, CHMI-TV Portage La Prairie/Winnipeg, CKEM-TV Edmonton, CKAL-TV Calgary and CKVU-TV Vancouver.   Rogers Communications announced on June 25th that a deal had been reached for them to buy these stations from CTV, subject to CRTC approval. Among the CHUM assets acquired by CTVglobemedia in the deal were seven television stations, 21 specialty channels and some 33 radio stations, including CFWM-FM.  


It was announced that after nine years apart, Tom and Frazier would be back together again, hosting mornings on 99.9 BOB FM. Frazier would be rejoining long-time pals Beau and Tom. Tom & Frazier were together between 1995 and 2000. Beau, Tom and Frazier were scheduled to hit the airwaves (6-10 a.m.) beginning August 31. 

Chris Brooke was program director. 

Michelle Pereira, the Retail Sales Manager at HANK-FM/CKJS from 2007 to 2009 was now with CHUM Winnipeg as Agency Liaison. 


Over the Christmas holidays, sister station CURVE 94.3 (CHIQ) flipped to an oldies format, as FAB 943. Beau, Tom and Frazier from BOB FM moved to FAB mornings, while Jay and Andrea, formerly mornings on CURVE, moved to BOB FM. 

Darrell Bezdietny left CHUM Radio Winnipeg where he had been assistant engineer since 2007.


On March 7, the CRTC approved an application by BCE Inc. on behalf of CTVglobemedia Inc., for authority to change the effective control of CTVgm’s licensed broadcasting subsidiaries to BCE. The Commission concluded that the transaction would be beneficial to the Canadian broadcasting system by ensuring the long-term stability of a significant Canadian television network and advancing the Commission’s objective of providing relevant high-quality Canadian programming to Canadians through conventional and new media distribution channels. BCE was a public corporation and controlled by its board of directors. Before this approval, BCE held 15% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm. The other shareholders were 1565117 Ontario Limited (a corporation ultimately controlled by Mr. David Kenneth R. Thomson) (40% of the voting interest), Ontario Teacher’s Plan Board (25% of the voting interest) and Torstar Corporation (20% of the voting interest). Under the transaction agreement dated September 10, 2010, BCE would acquire the remaining 85% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm and would therefore exercise effective control. 

On March 15, CTV Inc., CTV Corp., CTV Limited and CTVglobemedia Inc. amalgamated to continue as CTV Inc.

BCE Inc. announced on April 1 that it had completed its acquisition of CTV and that it had launched Bell Media (replacing CTVglobemedia), a new business unit that would make CTV programs and other Bell content available on smartphones and computers as well as traditional television. In addition to CTV and its television stations, Bell Media now also operated 29 specialty channels, 33 radio stations, Dome Productions, a mobile broadcast facilities provider, and dozens of high-traffic news, sports and entertainment websites, including the portal.

The CRTC approved a change to the ownership of Bell Media Inc., from BCE Inc. to Bell Canada. This transaction would not affect effective control of Bell Media Inc. and of its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, which continued to be exercised by BCE Inc. Bell Media Inc. held, directly and through its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, various radio and television programming undertakings as well as specialty and pay-per-view television services.

On August 22, the CRTC approved the applications by BCE Inc., on behalf of Bell Media Inc. and 7550413 Canada Inc., carrying on business as Bell Media Canada Radio Partnership, for authority to acquire, as part of a corporate reorganization, CJCH-FM and CIOO-FM Halifax, CKGM Montréal, CKKW-FM and CFCA-FM Kitchener, CFRW, CFWM-FM and CHIQ-FM Winnipeg. Bell Media, the managing partner holding 99.99% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Canada and controlled by BCE. 7550413, the other partner holding the remaining 0.01% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Media and is also controlled by BCE. BCE submitted that the purpose of this corporate reorganization was to realize tax efficiencies. The Commission noted that this transaction would not affect the effective control of the undertakings which would continue to be exercised by BCE. 

Chris Stevens, who had been vice president and general manager at Bell Media Radio Winnipeg since October, 2007, was succeeded by Mark Maheu.

On August 31, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CFWM-FM until March 31, 2012. 

Shelley Smith-Hines was the new manager of promotions & marketing at CHUM Radio Winnipeg. 


Dale Davies left CFWM and CHIQ where he had been assistant program and music director. He joined CHWE and CFJL on January 16. 

On March 20, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CFWM-FM to August 31, 2012. 

The new music director and assistant program director at FAB 94.3/99.9 BOB FM was Frank Andrews. He had been doing much the same thing across the street at 92 CITI FM. He succeeded Dale Davies who left for The Breeze 100.7 Winnipeg. 

Kelly Parker crossed the hall from BOB FM to FAB 94.3 to host mornings with Frazier, while “Beau” moved over to join Bob and Dez on 99.9 BOB FM.

Former Kids in the Hall star Kevin McDonald joined 99.9 Bob FM’s morning team as a fill-in for when either of Bob’s breakfast hosts, Kelly Parker or Dez, was on summer holiday.

On August 28, the CRTC administratively renewed CFWM-FM’s licence until December 31, 2012. On December 21, the licence was renewed to August 31, 2019.


Mark Maheu, who’d been running Bell Media Radio Winnipeg since August, 2011, added CTV Winnipeg to his responsibilities. Maheu was now Vice President/General Manager of both. Before moving to Winnipeg, he was an acquisitions and regulatory consultant based in Ottawa, VP/COO of Newcap (also Ottawa-based) and, before that, VP/GM at CHUM Radio Ottawa. 

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station