CKPK-FM, The Peak 102.7, Vancouver

Jim Pattison Broadcast Group

CKPK-FM2012102.734,000Jim Pattison Broadcast Group
CKPK-FM2008100.551,000Jim Pattison Broadcast Group
CKBD-AM199460010,000Great Pacific Industries Inc. (Pattison)
CHRX-AM198860010,000Jim Pattison Industries Ltd.
CJOR-AM196560010,000Jim Pattison
CJOR-AM196160010,000CJOR Ltd.
CJOR-AM19336005,000George Chandler
CJOR-AM19301210500George Chandler
CJOR-AM19281030500George Chandler
CJOR-AM19261030200George Chandler
CFXC-AM19251030 K200New Westminster Trust Co.
CFXC-AM1923440 M100Hume and Rundle


Fred Hume of Hume and Rumble Ltd. in New Westminster started CFXC. Studios and transmitter were on the top floor of the Westminster Trust Building, which jointly held the original licence. CFXC transmitted about two hours nightly on 440 meters with 10 watts.


CFXC moved to 1030 kHz and increased power to 20 watts.


On July 13, Hume sold CFXC to brothers Art and George Chandler for around $600 with a down payment and $25 a month. The Chandlers moved the station to Vancouver and a new licence was issued under the call letters CJOR, which was apparently the closest thing to “George”. It operated with 50 watts into a fish pole antenna located near the old Marpole Bridge at the south end of the city. Broadcasts originated from the St. Julian Hotel (later the Ritz). George Chandler’s eye for talent would be a key factor in the stations subsequent growth. 

CJOR handled what was likely the first political broadcast in Canada. Arthur Meighan was the leading speaker. 


CJOR shared airtime with CNRV. Pioneer broadcaster and musician John Avison was a piano soloist and accompanist on CKMO, CJOR, CKWX and CNRV Vancouver during the 1920s and 30s. 

CJOR handled the first hockey broadcast in the city, with Charley Defieux handling the Fort William-Hamilton game from the old arena. 


CJOR began experimenting with crystal control transmitting. 


The frequency was changed from 1030 to 1210 kHz. 

The station moved to its first real studios…in rooms above the Alexandra Ballroom. 


CJOR’s studios moved to the Grosvenor Hotel, 840 Howe Street. 

The old carbon mike was on the way out at CJOR, replaced by the condenser type.


CJOR increased power to 500 watts, using a water cooled tube. 


On October 1, CJOR moved to 600 kHz.


Canada’s Big Band King, Mart Kenney made his radio debut on CJOR at the Alexandra Ballroom.

Pioneer broadcaster Jack Stark produced and hosted “High Schools on Parade” on CJOR.

Alan Young joined CJOR.

After being an actors’ agent and Hollywood /movie director during the 1920s, Leo Nicholson became the Voice of Lacrosse for the New Westminster Salmonbellies on CJOR from 1934-45. The most valuable lacrosse goalkeeper award “Leo Nicholson Memorial Trophy” is named in his honour.

The “Voice of the Races”, Jack Short started as the announcer at Vancouver’s horse racing tracks, a position he kept until 1976. During that time he called nearly 50,000 races, many of which were broadcast live on CJOR.


Dick Diespecker started in news. He moved up to program director and wrote over 400 radio dramas that aired on CJOR and internationally. Diespecker, along with some of the other prominent early CJOR broadcasters, was responsible for finding many of the on-air personalities, which were hired with the approval of owner George Chandler.


Bill Rea hosted “Ranger’s Cabin” on CJOR. He founded rival CKNW New Westminster in 1944.

Comedian Alan Young started as assistant to program director Dick Diespecker.

Special events broadcasting became the norm for CJOR when the station presented a full program from the exhibition grounds.


Popular announcer Colin Fitzgerald started hosting mornings as the “Gee Gee Man” along with a news and pop music program “Gee Gee’s Informalities”. He stayed with CJOR until 1955. Big Band musician, and later orchestra leader, Dal Richards performed in the “Signal Oil Carnival” with Bernie Braden, which was aired live on CJOR. Around this time Alan Young left for the CBC. He had done writing, acting and announcing during his time at CJOR. Roland Ford left CJOR for CKOV Kelowna as commercial manager as of October 1. Gordon Reid, formerly of CJOR, joined the announcing staff of CFRN Edmonton.

CJOR microphones were on the scene for the Pier D fire and other events. 

CJOR became a United Press subscriber.

Slogan: Serving listeners with more news and sports coverage than all other local stations – CJOR.


Ad slogans: CJOR broadcasts all major sports, with Canada’s ace commentator, Leo Nicholson, at the mike. / Seven world wide news services and special correspondents of four papers provide up to the minute flashes for six daily news broadcasts – CJOR. 


Dorwin Baird, a pioneer member of the University of B.C. Radio Society, hosted “Varsity Time” and was a prominent radio host at CJOR throughout the 1940s and 50s. Juliette began her singing career with the Dal Richards Orchestra in June at the age of 15.

CJOR 600 was granted a power increase from 500 to 1,000 watts by the Department of Transport. 

CKCD Vancouver was scheduled to go off the air as of April 1 as its licence was to expire March 31. Station owner, the Vancouver Province, announced it would cooperate with CJOR, but would not have any financial interest in the station.

Ad: Soon! One Kilowatt. Better to serve Canada’s western population. CJOR – Vancouver, B.C.

Western Electric equipment, ordered through Northern Electric, was installed by CJOR, and on July 15, the station at 600 on the dial, increased its power to 1,000 watts. Related ad: Double Power! CJOR’s new Western Electric 1000-watt transmitter will double the power of the only Vancovuer station to retain its wavelength under the Havana Treaty. 


Under the Havana Treaty CJOR was one of a handful of stations to retain its frequency. On March 29 when hundreds of other North American stations changed dial position, CJOR remained on 600 kHz (Class III-A) with authorization for power of 1,000 watts. 

CJOR upped its power to 1,000 watts with a transmitter move to Lulu Island.

Ad: Business is good in British Columbia. Your business will be better with CJOR. / Power + Frequency = Coverage. That’s why CJOR is proud of its coverage results with 1000 watts on 600 K.C.; making this station Best Buy on Canada’s Pacific Coast. 

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network’s first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate – CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network – outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth.


Chief engineer H.B. “Bud” Seabrook left CJOR after 14 years to join RCA research in Montreal.

Irene Murray was continuity writer, Connie Kemper was assistant accountant and Pat Browne was CJOR’s receptionist. They were three of the female staff trained (and now fully qualified) to take over control of the control room and remote facilities, dividing their time equally between their new work and their pre-war duties. 

Chief engineer H.B. “Bud” Seabrook left CJOR after 14 years to join RCA research in Montreal. He had joined the station when he was 17, eventually becoming chief engineer. He was responsible for the installation of the elaborate broadcast equipment on Lulu Island.


In the fall, armed forces veteran Arthur Helps founded, directed and moderated the weekly program “Town Meeting in Canada”, where experts debated a current hot topic in front of a live studio audience, which then got to ask questions. At the peak of its popularity, it was broadcast on 30 radio stations in Canada. It was patterned and named after the U.S. version, “America’s Town Meeting of the Air” which had been launched by the National Broadcasting Company’s Blue Network in 1935.


CBC Radio started the Dominion Network on January 1, with CJOR as its Vancouver affiliate. A significant amount of live programming was fed across Canada on the network including “After Dark” with Dal Richards that ran at 8:30 p.m. in Vancouver and was the network’s closing show in the eastern time zones.

The “Grand Old Man of Canadian Radio”, William J. “Billy” Browne, began hosting his “Remember When” series on CJOR from 1944-51 and “Breakfast with Browne” variably on CJOR & CKWX from 1935-51. 

Don Laws was CJOR’s commercial manager. Noreen Kerr and Kathleen Hazard joined CJOR’s continuity department. Dick Diespecker returned to CJOR after a leave of absence. He first joined the station in September of 1940.


CJOR was the CBC Dominion affiliate in Vancouver.

Jack Short was a salesman and broadcaster at CJOR. Walter Peterson and Kenneth McKenzie joined the CJOR engineering staff.


Chief operator Gordon English left CJOR for the army. Dick Diespecker returned to CJOR from the Canadian Army. He first joined CJOR in 1936. D.E. Laws was commercial manager.

The B.C. government certified the Radio Stations Employees Union (Local 23757) as sole bargaining agent between management and employees of CJOR, CKWX, CKMO and CKNW. The union was affiliated with the AFL.

George Chandler of CJOR presented an audio demo in Toronto and Montreal. High-lights of various station productions were heard, along with voices of most of the station’s staff. Off-the-air discs of several full programs were heard including, “Western Trail”. The demo was presented for agency buyers and advertisers. 

Wallie Peters was CJOR’s musical director.

George Chandler was proud of the talent promotion done by CJOR…talent such as Alan Young, John Drainie and Bernie Braden.

Dorwin Baird was CJOR’s publicity and promotion director.

CJOR was giving veterans a chance to audition for on-air work at the station. The auditions were conducted by the station’s Dave Hill. Manager George Chandler said it would be impossible for radio to absorb every veteran wanting to enter the business, but he felt if every man wanting a job got a fair chance to investigate the field and show his own abilities.


Gordon Hudson returned to CJOR after more than four years with the navy. He was now supervisor of evening news procedure. Don Laws was commercial manager. Dorwin Baird worked in production and promotion.


Ross Mortimer was CJOR’s program director. Gordie Hodgson was in charge of night-time studio operation. 

April 8 was set to be a double celebration for CJOR. On that day the station would officially open its 5,000 watt transmitter and also celebrate its 20th anniversary. In the Vancouver business world it was to be “CJOR Day”. CJOR would be the first station in Canada to go on the air full-time with an authorized post-war power increase. The station had took delivery of a Northern Electric post-war transmitter. 
Installation of equipment and proofing of the directional antenna performance was completed ahead of schedule. The station was actually on the air with 5,000 watts in early March. 

On-air staff included Dick Diespecker (Wake Up Vancouver), Ross Mortimer, Dave Hill and Larry McCance.

CJOR offered a special one-hour broadcast for DXers on March 8. It was directed to listeners along the Atlantic seaboard.

Harold Lunn left CJOR to become engineer and traffic director at the new CJAV in Port Alberni.

CJOR did have its double celebration on April 8. It marked its 20th anniversary with the opening of a new Northern Electric 406 B-3 10,000 watt transmitter, although CJOR would only use half the power. It was the first installation of its type in the Dominion and CJOR became the first Canadian station to go on the air full time with an authorized post war power increase. A reception and dinner with staff and civic officials marked the occasion. The new transmitter building was erected on Lulu Island, a few miles outside the city, not far from the old 1,000 watt building, built in 1940. The power boost would give CJOR 100 times the potential it had when it first went on the air in 1926 (50 watts to 5,000). Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island would now receive the benefit of the new directional antenna system which would send to those areas, a signal stronger than the actual 5 kW. Less populated areas would receive a weaker signal. Since the station first went on the air, the staff had grown from 2 to 60.

Wallie Peters was musical director at CJOR. Velva Hayden was now in charge of CJOR studio traffic after being a control operator for several years. John Porter was a studio operator. Bob Tweetie was now traffic manager, replacing Velva Hayden, who left after several years on the job. Colin Fitzgerald was the early bird G.G. Man. Ross Mortimer was program director. Operators included Gordon English and Ken Ross-McKenzie. Jack Short did race reports. Bob Gray returned to CJOR’s operational staff after seven years in the army. Ben McConnell and Vince Duggan joined CJOR’s announce staff. Jim Stovin switched from announcing to morning news editing and daytime promotional work. Noreen Kerr was a continuity writer. Don Laws was commercial manager. Jack Short was CJOR’s racecaster. Dave Hill was in the program department. 

CJOR was unable to carry the Sunday game of the World Series due to church broadcast commitments. CKMO aired the Sunday game with CJOR plugging the fact on the air. In return, CKMO mentioned (on-air) CJOR weekly broadcasts. 

John Porter was chief operator. On-air names included: Jim Stovin, Ross Mortimer, Vic Waters and Larry McCance.

With the lacrosse season over, CJOR was now preparing for hockey broadcasts. Jim Cox would handle play-by-play for the New Westminster Royals on Thursdays.


Power increased to 5,000 watts (full-time directional) using two 280-foot towers in the Vancouver suburb of Richmond.

Arthur Helps’ program had impressed the American version of “Town Meeting” enough to persuade the U.S. production to come to Vancouver for a dual broadcast, which was aired on July 31 on a network of stations across Canada, and a further 450 stations in the U.S. It was heard around the world with an audience estimated at eight million. 

Vic Waters was news editor. Don Laws was commercial manager. Arthur R. Helps was on the air at CJOR. Wallie Peters was musical director. Art Chandler was chief engineer. Margaret Jestley was director of women’s features. Dave Hill was an announcer. Jim Wells joined CJOR as production manager. He had been with CKRC Winnipeg. Baritone Harry Trousdale was CJOR’s traffic manager. Leo Nicholson died October 28. He was one of the first men to do regular sportscasts on the continent. He first became associated with CJOR in the early 1930’s.


J. Stanley Miller was on-air at CJOR. Promotion manager Jim Willis doubled up by adding sales work. Producer Dave Hill moved to the sales department. Bob “Slim” Tweedy was emcee of “Rodco Rhythm”. D.E. Laws was sales manager. Balladeer Ed McCurdy got his own spot on the CJOR schedule. Margaret Jestley, writer and narrator for the noon Women’s World program, lef the station to get married. She had been with CJOR for five years. Don Forbes left CJOR to become studio program manager at KLAC-TV in Los Angeles. Ross Morimer hosted “Take It Easy”. Billy Fortune hosted “Jumbo Jackpot”.

CJOR had tried to operate by staying away from give-aways and concentrate on programming. The station had now given up on the struggle and joined the race to get more listeners with more and better prizes.


George Chandler, a recognized expert in the field of broadcast wavelengths and powers, represented Canada at the North American Regional Broadcasting Conference in Montreal. 

Slogan: Tune to CJOR Dial 600 – The Station Of The Stars. 

Jim Wills left for San Francisco. Production man Dorwin Baird took over from Willis as promotion manager, in addition to his other duties. After 12 years at CJOR, production Dick Diespecker decided to leave the station. He would be radio director for the Daily Province newspaper in Vancouver. The new job would involve the continuance of the paper’s 10 p.m. newscast over CJOR. 

Dave Hill left CJOR sales after seven years, to become sales manager at the soon to open CKDA in Victoria. D.E. Laws was commercial manager. 


A fire in the Lindsay Building’s fuse box on the second floor forced smoke to CJOR’s tenth floor studios. The smoke forced the station (Jack Wells covering a junior hockey game) off the air for about 20 minutes. 


Popular announcer Ross Mortimer reported news on CJOR and was host of “Burns Chuckwagon” on the CBC Dominion radio network during the 1950s & 60s. 

Monty McFarlane was on-air at CJOR. Dick Diespecker was program director but was also still working for the Vancouver Daily Province. Colin Fitzgerald was morning man. Vict Waters was on-air. Billy Browne was on the air. Wallie Peters was musical director. Ling Toy worked at CJOR and was considered to be the first Chinese female disc jockey in Canada.


Harvey Lowe, at age 13, the winner of the first World Yo-Yo Championship Competition in London. England in 1932, hosted what is claimed to be the first Chinese Canadian radio program “Call of China” on CJOR from 1951-65. 

Kay Cronyn was CJOR’s promotion manager.

CJOR was providing an exclusive news service. It was the only station in western Canada to give news direct from the main U.P. night wire – a service originating from San Francisco where the Pacific cable from Korea terminates.

CJOR received approval to operate a 1,000 watt emergency transmitter.

William J. “Billy” Browne (55) died. He had been in show business for 49 years, worked at all of the Vancouver stations at some point and had been with CJOR for the last decade. His son, Bill, Jr. was also working at CJOR. A short time later, Bill, Jr. took over the 8:30 a.m. “Breakfast with Browne” broadcast. The young Browne was now 27 but had been in radio since he was 11.


F.W.H. Wellwood joined CJOR as executive assistant to president, George C. Chandler.

Some of the local programs on CJOR at this time: The GG Man hosted CJOR’s morning show (6:30 to 8:00) and had been doing so for 15 years. Breakfast with Browne aired between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m. Dorwin Baird’s “Man in the House” (on the station 4 years) ran between 11:00 and 11:30 a.m. Ross Mortimer hosted “Kiddies’ Karnival” between 12:15 and 12:45 p.m. He also hosted “Take It Easy” from 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. The Vic Waters Show aired between 10:30 p.m. and midnight. 

Slogan: CJOR carries more local advertising than any other B.C. station.

On November 17, CJOR changed its name to “Station 600”. This was to give listeners the direct word on where to find the station on the dial. The call letters would still be used on occasion as required by law.


Hard-hitting journalist Jack Webster, started at CJOR, went to several other Vancouver stations, and then returned from 1972-78. 

Wally Knox joined CJOR as promotion manager. Bill Wellwood was Assistant to President George Chandler.

The CBC Board approved the recapitalization of CJOR Ltd. from 100,000 commons to 65,000 common and 85,000 preferred shares and redemption of 82,580 preferred shares.

CJOR sportscaster would give a weekly 15-minute description of horse-racing on film from a Vancouver track to be aired over the new KVOS-TV in Bellingham, WA.

CJOR launched its TruVu wired television service.


Funnyman Monty McFarlane started the first of two terms at CJOR. He only stayed a year the first time, but returned in the late 1960s to host one of Vancouver’s more popular morning shows, which lasted until 1981.

Red Robinson was hired to host the “Theme for Teens” program, which he did until 1956 before moving on to a spectacular career as radio, TV host and emcee. 

Jack Webster was now at CJOR. Bill Wellwood resigned as assistant to George Chandler.

Ad: It’s still a fact, Station 600, CJOR, has the strongest signal and greatest coverage in British Columbia. 


Dorwin Baird, Jack Webster (City Mike), Arthur Helps and Chris Crombie were on-air at CJOR.


George Chandler appeared before the Fowler Commission in Montreal to complain about restrictive practices that he maintained operated against the interests of the public, performers, station owners and “the commerce of the nation”. 


Billy Browne hosted “The Sunrise Show” (6-8 a.m.) and “Breakfast with Browne” at 8:30 a.m. on CJOR. 


Ad slogans: In B.C. CJOR personalities are “Best Sellers”. 5000 watts on 600 kcs. Still covers the greatest area in B.C. / In British Columbia, CJOR covers not ALL the trees, not ALL the mountains, BUT MOST of the people. The personality station. 

Bob Hay was on-air and Vic Waters was program director.

According to Elliott-Haynes CJOR reached a total 170,602 adult listeners every day.

In an effort to ease listener concerns about being flooded by rock and roll music and the 60 pop tunes, CJOR took out a large ad in the Vancouver Sun to outline its broadcasting policy. The ad said the station would continue to broadcast the personality type of program with which it had become associated over the past 36 years; that the news would be given full coverage without undue repetition; that sports coverage would be given in four daily broadcasts with outstanding sports events being featured from x to x, according to the season; that programs of special appeal to housewives, children, motorists, fishermen, labor, business, etc., would be presented so that individual interests were not neglected… 


British Columbia TV Broadcasting Corp. was among the applicants for a second television station at Vancouver. The company’s president was H. S. Foley. CJOR-AM owner G. G. Chandler would be managing director. In the end, Vantel Broadcasting Co. Ltd. was awarded the licence. 

CJOR’s power boost request was approved by the BBG.

Audrey Smith was traffic manager.


CJOR increased power to 10,000 watts full-time directional, using three 280-foot towers from a site on Sea Island.


When George Chandler died April 20 in Vancouver at age 55, CJOR was taken over by his widow Marie.

The CBC ceased operating the Dominion Network.


“Burns Hot Line” with talk show host Pat Burns debuted May 13. His controversial program caused the station’s ratings to skyrocket.


Uncontrolled open line shows on CJOR, with content about homosexuals, lesbians, drugs and other topics very controversial for the times, came under fire and under the microscope of the Board of Broadcast Governors. Also probed by the BBG was the ability of the owner to properly manage the station and control its broadcasts.


The BBG denied renewal of CJOR’s licence, as it had no confidence in the licensee. The licence expired March 31, but it was permitted to stay on the air to give the owner time to sell the station. Local entrepreneur and auto dealer Jim Pattison acquired CJOR from the Chandler family later in the year.

Wilf Ray hosted a Sunday Night Gospel Program on CJOR from 1965-86. Ray was generally recognized as the earliest Vancouver broadcaster to still be active into the 21st century.


Former chief engineer Herbert (Bud) Seabrook passed away January 25.

L.B. Eberhart was vice president and general manager of Jim Pattison Enterprises Ltd. Jack R. Stewart was named manager of CJOR.


Jim Nielsen was operations manager. 


Jack R. Stewart was appointed vice president of CJOR Ltd. (CJOR and CFRW Winnipeg, which the company just purchased). He would continue to hold his position of general manager of CJOR. He named Don Wall as CJOR’s general sales manager. Wall had been acting as sales coordinator since January.


After a run of 28 years, “Town Meeting” left the air, mainly due to a lack of sponsorship, money matters and the increasing popularity of television. Host Arthur Helps believed that the program was going against the trends in radio broadcasting, and some censorship of the program made it difficult to obtain sponsors.


Fanny Kiefer started with CJOR as a prominent interviewer and talk show host, staying for a decade until the station changed format in 1988.


Neil Soper was promoted from assistant general manager to general manager.


John Tarbat was named general sales manager at CJOR. He had been with Paul Mulvihill Ltd. 


Bob Mackin became CJOR’s program manager.


CJOR adopted a news-talk format.


On October 31, CJOR moved to new studios at 1401 West 8th Avenue.


Former British Columbia Premier Dave Barrett hosted a morning talk show until 1987.


CJOR producer/broadcaster Fanny Kiefer was now doing a feature (Expose) on CKVU-TV. Kiefer is the city’s only female open line host.


Jacqui Underwood was doing a series of weekend talk features on CJOR.

George Madden replaced Harvey Gold at CJOR and CJJR-FM. Gold was now in charge of special projects for parent company Pattison Industries. 


Harvey Gold left CJOR/CJJR to become president of Western World Communications (CJWW Saskatoon). Sharon Walker took over as general sales manager at CJOR/CJJR, replacing Ralph Ragan. 


George Madden was appointed president of Jim Pattison Broadcast Group. He retained the position of president and general manager of CJOR and CJJR-FM.

At noon on September 2, CJOR signed off with a farewell show hosted by Fanny Kiefer, switching from its mostly talk format to become “Classic Rock” CHRX. It ran a 90-hour commercial free music marathon starting with Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock n Roll”. 


Jack Simmons was appointed general sales manager of CHRX-CJJR.


At noon on January 9, CHRX changed from classic rock to a contemporary Christian format as CKBD “The Bridge”, generally recognized as the first contemporary Christian station in Canada.


On August 29, the CRTC approved a corporate name change from Jim Pattison Enterprises Ltd. to Great Pacific Industries Inc. There was no change in control of CKBD. 

Greg Richards was Creative Director at The Bridge / CJJR-FM.


Don Wall, 69, passed away January 13. He joined CJOR in 1970 from CKGM in Montreal. In 1977 he became vice president and general manager of Jim Pattison Industries. He was forced to retire in 1979 due to failing health.


On January 20, the CRTC approved the transfer of CKBD/CJJR-FM from Great Pacific Industries Inc. to Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. This was an intra-corporate reorganization and not a change in ownership.


On July 31, CKBD “The Bridge” dropped its contemporary Christian format for Adult Standards, identified as “Unforgettable Adult Favourites”. 

Donna Whalley left The Bridge/JRFM where she had been promotions director. She moved to sales and promotion at Media Group West in Vancouver. She was replaced at CKBD/CJJR by Rick Holmes (as sales promotion consultant).


After hosting a big band show on three other Vancouver stations during the previous decade, Dal Richards returned to CKBD with his program, “Dal’s Place” on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Long-time CJOR talk show host Jack Webster died of heart failure at 80. He became one of Canada’s best-known and highest-paid broadcasters, pioneering open-line talk radio at CKNW.

Gerry Siemens was vice president and general manager of CKBD / CJJR-FM. Gary Chomyn left the stations as general sales manager and was replaced by Mark Rogers, formerly of Toronto’s CISS-FM. Ruth Reynolds, formerly with CBUT-TV, was now senior account executive with CKBD-CJJR. 


In a release dated July 21, the CRTC stated it had returned an application by the Pattison Group to move CKBD to the FM band at 93.1 MHz. The Commission said it was outside the evaluation criteria set out in a call for applications for a new station to serve Vancouver.


A special two-hour “Dal’s Place” aired on CKBD January 5th and 6th to commemorate Dal Richards’ 90th birthday.

On May 30 the CRTC approved application by the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group to convert CKBD-AM to the FM band. It was authorized to operate at 100.5 MHz with an average ERP of 2,600 watts (11,000 maximum) with an Adult Album Alternative (Triple A) format. The licence stipulated a minimum of 40% Canadian music content.

Former program director and personality Vic Waters died August 19 in the Vancouver suburb of Langley at age 89. Before retiring from CKBD’s predecessor CJOR in 1969, he hired numerous announcers who went on to much greater prominence in the Vancouver market. He was credited as being a mentor to young Vancouver broadcasters Red Robinson, Brian “Frosty” Forst, Fred Latremouille and others. He had also been a lifelong radio amateur with his station VE5QH. Waters was unique among broadcasters, in that he only ever worked at one radio station. He was earlier honoured by being inducted into the B.C. Entertainment Hall of Fame Starwalk at the Orpheum in 1998 and became a member of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Half Century Club in 2002.

By summer’s end, call letters and name had been announced as CKPK-FM “The PEAK”. New air staff included morning drive host Chris Coburn with co-host/news reader Elaine Scollan, Sandra Klaric middays, Peter Schaad on p.m. drive and Laurie Logan evenings. During the afternoon of October 23, CKPK-FM 100.5 began transmitter testing.

On November 13, at 5:35 p.m. Vice President & General Manager Gerry Siemens announced the ending of the AM station’s 84-year run with a thank you to listeners. This was followed by a 25-minute tribute to its history, voiced by Gord Eno, produced by Bill Jackson and compiled by local broadcast historian Gord Lansdell. At 6 p.m. CKPK-FM simulcast a live celebration on CKBD 600AM from the Seasons in the Park restaurant located at the peak of Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver, followed by the official launch of “The PEAK” at 7 p.m. with “Elevation” by U2.

Management announced that the new AAA programming would continue to be simulcast on 600AM for an undetermined amount of time, but not longer than the three months allowed by the CRTC. Most of CKBD’s feature weekend programming and the Adult Favourites music format migrated to CISL AM 650.

CKPK-FM 100.5 took to the air.

On December 31st, the 600 kHz frequency was freed up in Vancouver. The PEAK CKPK-FM 100.5 had been simulcasting on its old AM 600 position since it signed on at 7 p.m. November 13. It was authorized to do so by the CRTC for a period of up to three months. AM 600 had been in use by the station’s predecessors CJOR, CHRX and CKBD since October 1, 1933. 


David Hankinson died at age 64, in a traffic accident on the Alaska Highway, west of Fort Nelson. Before leaving broadcasting in 1989, he’d worked for a number of Western Canadian stations including CBC Winnipeg, CHQR Calgary (News Director), CJOR Vancouver (Assistant News Director), CIOF/CKXY Vancouver (News Director), and CKRD Red Deer (News Director).


On September 9, the CRTC approved the applications by Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. (the general partner) and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership, and Vancouver Co-operative Radio to amend the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio station CKPK-FM and the community radio station CFRO-FM Vancouver by exchanging their frequencies and changing their authorized contours. CKPK-FM would move from 100.5 (channel 263C) to 102.7 MHz (channel 274C), change effective radiated power from 2,800 watts average (maximum of 11,000 watts) to 51,000 watts average (maximum of 100,000 watts) and change effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 570.7 to 590.4 metres. CFRO-FM would move from 102.7 (274B) to 100.5 (263C) MHz, reduce ERP from 5,500 watts to an average of 2,800 watts (maximum of 11,000 watts) and increase antenna height from 306 to 570.7 metres. As part of the applications, Co-op Radio proposed to change the antenna site for CFRO-FM to co-locate with the existing CKPK-FM antenna, while Pattison committed to providing technical, financial and marketing support to the community station amounting to $1,437,000 over a period of five years, including: rent payment for the new transmitter site; costs for technical brief, Commission application, new transmitter and maintenance; an annual payment of $125,000 (over five years); and outdoor advertising for the new frequency. The licensees stated that this proposal would allow CKPK-FM to make a more efficient and effective use of the 102.7 MHz frequency and to be on a more level playing field in the Vancouver commercial radio market, while ensuring the survival of the community station CFRO-FM.

Peter Schaad left afternoon drive at 100.5 The Peak to do play by play for the Vancouver Whitecaps on Team 1410.


Jim Pattison, Managing Director and CEO, the Jim Pattison Group announced the promotion of two key executives of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group LP, effective July 1. Rick Arnish was promoted to Chairman of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group LP, following a very successful 14 years as President. Rod Schween was promoted to assume the role of President of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group LP. He had been general manager/general sales manager for the Pattison Lethbridge/Cranbrook division with 6 stations in 3 different communities. He would move to the Kamloops, B.C. Head Office of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group, where he would be responsible as General Manager of Broadcast Centre – CFJC TV, CIFM FM & CKBZ FM.

Mel Kartusch, former general sales manager at SHORE FM Vancouver, moved to The Jim Pattison Group Vancouver cluster as a senior account executive. Gone from The Peak’s morning show were Chris Coburn and Sandra Klaric. Succeeding them on an interim basis: Laurie Logan and Cory Ashworth. 

Brian Lord died at 77. He had been a CFUN Good Guy, and was in the radio business for almost 47 years. He worked at CFCR-TV Kamloops, KMEN San Bernardino, KLIV San Jose, CJJC Langley, CKDA Victoria, CKWX Vancouver, CHRX/The Bridge Vancouver and Metro Broadcasting Hong Kong. Lord retired in 2001 and moved to the Philippines with his new wife. Jerry Landa died at age 78. Landa was one of the CFUN Good Guys of the early ’60s. He also worked at CKDA Victoria, CKLG, CJOR and CKWX Vancouver, and CHUB Nanaimo into the ’80s before retiring. Dave Abbott died at age 74. He began his radio career at CJOR and CKNW and then CJVI. In 1965, he moved to CBC where he stayed for the next 20 years. Milton York died at 66. His broadcast career included stops at Vancouver’s CJOR, CKWX and CKO; Victoria’s CKDA and CHEK-TV, and CJJC Langley. 

On August 3, the CRTC approved the application by Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. (the general partner) and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership to change the authorized contours of CKPK-FM, by decreasing the average effective radiated power from 51,000 to 34,000 watts (maximum ERP from 100,000 to 70,000 watts), by increasing the antenna’s effective height above average terrain from 590.4 to 682.4 metres and by moving its transmission site. Jim Pattison Broadcast Group requested these technical changes as its existing tower on Mount Seymour had proven to be less efficient than the tower site proposed in this application. 

Mountain FM Squamish/Whistler Morning Show Host Craig Stone started mid-March at The Peak Vancouver as Swing Announcer.

On September 10, CKPK-FM moved from 100.5 to 102.7 MHz, swapping dial positions with CFRO-FM.

Chris Cobourn left 100.5 The Peak to do mornings at Country 107.1 Abbotsford. Chris had been with the Pattison Vancouver stations for almost 20 years…15 at JRfm 93.7 and the last four as morning host at 100.5 The Peak. 

Kiah Tucker, originally from Australia, signed up as the new morning show host at 100.5 The Peak Vancouver, moving from Virgin Radio Vancouver.

Tamara Stanners, Assistant Program Director at 100.5 The Peak was promoted to PD. She joined the Jim Pattison station in 2008 just before it flipped to FM and was still called CKBD-AM.

Gord Eno, the long-time Program Director at JRFM 93.7/100.5 The Peak, was no longer with the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group stations. He had been with JPBG for about 20 years. Tamara Stanners was the new PD at 102.7 The PEAK while a new PD for 93.7 JRFM was yet to be named.


Hal Rodd died at age 91. He began his radio career in Hollywood as a sound technician on radio’s Ozzie & Harriett Show. After moving back to Canada, he worked in the Vancouver newsrooms of CKMO, CJOR, CKNW and CFUN, where he was also News Director.


In June, CKPK received CRTC approval to increase ERP from 34,000 to 45,000 watts (70,000 to 95,000 max). Antenna height would decrease and the transmitter would move from the Rogers tower to a new one being built at the nearby CBC site.


The Peak changed format from Triple A to Alternative Rock-Triple A.


In August, CKPK The Peak changed format from Triple A-Modern Rock to 100% Modern Rock.


Peter Weissbach died on November 11. His radio career started at CJOR in the 1980s. In the late 80s, he moved to CJCA and in 1993, Peter hosted a talk show at KBNP Portland, OR. Over the years, he also worked at KOGO San Diego, KVI Seattle, and KIRO Seattle. From 2000-02, Weissbach hosted a nationally syndicated program called The Quest.


Dave Barrett (87) passed away on February 2. The former NDP premier (1972-75) of B.C., hosted CJOR-AM’s morning talk show from 1984 to 1987. 


Mark Rogers retired January 16, after 44 years in radio sales, most recently as VP of Sales for the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group, based in Vancouver. Rogers started his career at CFTR Toronto in 1975 and then held a series of GSM roles through the 1980s and 90s at CKSL London, CHAM Hamilton, CHED and CKNG-FM Edmonton, CISS Toronto, and CKPK-FM and CJJR-FM Vancouver.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station