CFTE-AM, BNN Bloomberg Radio 1410, Vancouver

Bell Media Inc.

CFTE-AM2011141050,000Bell Media Inc.
CFTE-AM2009141050,000CTVglobemedia (CHUM Radio)
CFUN-AM1982141050,000CHUM Ltd.
CFUN-AM1973141050,000CHUM Western Ltd. (CHUM Ltd.)
CKVN-AM1970141050,000Radio Futura Ltd.
CKVN-AM1968141010,000Radio Futura Ltd. (Tietolman)
CFUN-AM1959141010,000Radio C-FUN Ltd.
CFUN-AM195714101,000Radio C-FUN Ltd. (Robert Redmond, Gordon Burnett & group)
CKMO-AM195514101,000Station employees
CKMO-AM193314101,000Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CKMO-AM1931730100Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CKMO-AM19287305Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CFCQ-AM19277305Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CFCQ-AM1925730 K1Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CFCQ-AM19244505Sprott-Shaw Radio Co.
CFCQ-AM1922450 m4Radio Specialties Ltd.
CJCE-AM19224505Sprott-Shaw Schools of Commerce & Wireless Telegraphy


On April 10, Sprott-Shaw Schools of Commerce & Wireless Telegraphy, and Radio Specialties Ltd., started CJCE on 750 kHz with 5 watts of power. Studios were at 153 Pender Street West.

Radio Specialties Ltd. opened CFCQ on April 20, using 40 watts of power on 450 meters. Studios were at 791 Dunsmuir Ave.


Sprott-Shaw closed CJCE and assumed control of Major J.C. Dufresne’s CFCQ, and the station’s power increased to 50 watts.


CFCQ moved to 730 kHz and increased power to 1,000 watts, sharing time with CKCD and CFDC.


CFCQ 730 reduced power to 50 watts, sharing time with CKCD, CFDC, CKFC, and CJKC.


CFCQ is now sharing time with CKCD and CFDC. 

Bud Munro joined the CKMO sales department.


CFCQ became CKMO, sharing time with CKCD and CKWX on 730 kHz.


CKMO’s studios moved to the Bekins Building, 815 West Hastings Street. 


Earle Connor joined the staff of CKMO.


Engineer Earle Connor left CKMO for CKWX.


CKMO switched from 730 to 1410 kHz. Studios were at 812 Robson. 


Phil Baldwin joined CKMO as chief announcer.


Bud Munro left CKMO around this time for CFCT Victoria.


R. H. Wright of CKMO’s program department, was named acting manager following the resignation of H. M. Cook.


Under the Havana Treaty, CKMO with 100 watts, was among the lucky group that would get to hold on to its 1410 kHz (Class IV) frequency. On March 29, hundreds of other North American stations had to change their dial positions.

Ted Soskin started his career here, as an announcer. 


CKMO Inaugurated news every hour on the hour with the newly installed British United Press Service.


W.R. Gardner was appointed manager of CKMO, succeeding Roy Wright, who left to become manager at CFAR in Flin Flon, Manitoba. Ted Soskin left for CKOV Kelowna.


Roy Wright returned to CKMO as general manager after a couple of years at CFAR in Flin Flon. Bud Munro returned to CKMO from CJVI Victoria (CFCT).


Veteran American sportscaster Dan Sheridan succeeded Roy Wright as manager of CKMO.

CKMO manager Dan Sheridan announced the station would increase power to 1,000 watts. New equipment was ordered and installation was expected to be completed by the end of the year, under the direction of chief engineer Ross Whiteside. Omar Blondahl joined the CKMO announce staff from CKNW. Carl Mack joined from CJVI Victorai and Fred Darling came on board from CBL Toronto. 

Dick Misener was now with the Canadian Army. Dan Sheridan was manager. 

The B.C. government certified the Radio Stations Employees Union (Local 23757) as sole bargaining agent between management and employees of CJOR, CKWX, CKMO and CKNW. The union was affiliated with the AFL.

Johnny Hunt took over the reigns at CKMO after leaving CKWX where he was commercial manager. Bud Munro left CKMO in February and returned to Victoria’s CJVI.

Wally Grant returned to CKMO after five years with the RCAF. Eileen Fox joined CKMO as accountant from CKCK in Regina. George Dewey was added to the CKMO announce staff. He had been with CJCJ Calgary. June Hanson joined CKMO from CHWK Chilliwack as receptionist. New to radio, Bernice Burday also joined the station’s staff. 

Slogan: Vancouver’s “Neighbourly” Station.


Commentators Duke McLeod, Leo Nicholson and Reed Chapman were featured in CKMO’s coverage of the Vancouver Golden Gloves boxing event.

Vancouver’s Society for Jazz Promotion voted CKMO’s “Education in Jazz” the most popular radio program.

CKMO began airing the weekly program, Teen Talk.

Chief engineer Ross Whiteside was waiting for the arrival of a new 1,000 watt transmitter.

Phil Baldwin was to return to CKMO as promotion manager once discharged from the army.


Al Reusch was CKMO’s program director. Johnny Hunt was manager. Eric Ajello was an announcer.

CKMO was carrying University of B.C. “Campus Theatre” plays, direct from the university.

Reed Chapman and Duke McLeod were handling baseball broadcasts on CKMO. Jack Cullen joined CKMO’s operating staff as a program engineer. Jack also owned a collection of 6,000 records! Irene Holmes was a staff writer.

Leo Nicholson, Reed Chapman and Bob Willett were looking into the possibility of broadcasting hockey and baseball on the same night on CKMO. Al Reusch hosted “Stardust Review”, a program about movies. June Hanson joined CKMO as an announcer/personality from CHWK in Chilliwack. 

CKMO began broadcasting 24 hours a day in May and was now using its new 1,000 watt transmitter (May 1). It was the first station in Western Canada to operate continuously around the clock. A special program was aired for the occasion. It featured local artists and personal greetings from Hollywood. CKMO president R.J. Sprott thanked long time supporters of the station. The new transmitter, featuring the latest RCA technology, was located on Lulu Island, just outside the city limits. A short time after the new transmitter went into operation CKMO was receiving reception reports from as far away as California, Aleutian Islands, Maryland, New Zealand and Pearl Harbour. Pleasure Listening was the title of a series of feature presentations throughout the schedule of the new 24 hour programming at CKMO. The periods highlighted interpretations of famous instrumental groups.

Ray Perrault (UBC sports announcer and mainstay in the University Radio Society) joined CKMO as announcer. Bob Jones joined the staff as program engineer and announcer. Big George Dewey moved in to run CKMO’s midnight platter show, DX Prowl, an all-night request show (midnight to 1:30 a.m.). Since going to 24 hours, Jack Cullen was on the air from 2-6 a.m. with “Pacific Patrol”. Bill Griffiths was an announcer at CKMO. He was appointed assistant news editor. Former CKMO continuity man Hugh Wallace was now back at the station in the same role after a stint in the army. Phil Baldwin was named publicity director. Newcomer Jack Tregalis joined the announce staff. Bob Willett was production manager. 

Betty Rousselet worked in the traffic department. Tom Slattery was sales manager. Al Erskine was an announcer. Wilf Ray was a program engineer. George Dewey was named chief announcer. Jack Kemp joined the CKMO production department from CKRC Winnipeg. Bob Wielert was heard on the station. Hugh Wallace was a continuity writer. Announcer Vic Fergie left CKMO for CJAV in Port Alberni. Al Erskine was appointed night supervisor at CKMO.

The CBC announced it hoped to have an FM transmitter in operation in Vancouver by October. The transmitter would be the first permanent FM unit on the west coast, but it was noted that a portable unit was used recently by CKMO to broadcast from a moving auto during a Jubilee parade.

CJOR was unable to carry the Sunday game of the World Series due to church broadcast commitments. CKMO aired the Sunday game with CJOR plugging the fact on the air. In return, CKMO mentioned (on-air) CJOR weekly broadcasts.

Home Gas hockey broadcasts were set to go back on the air on CKMO. Veteran sports commentator Leo Nicholson would handle play-by-play. Bill Griffiths would assist with introductions and period summaries. CKMO staffer Bob Willett would handle between period interviews.

Chief engineer Ross Whiteside and crew were installing a new 76-B2 RCA Consolette in CKMO’s new control room. 

Gordon Walberg joined CKMO from CKRC Winnipeg. Bill Griffiths left CKMO for an announcing job at KMO Radio in Seattle. Sales manager Tom Slattery moved up to station advertising manager. Salesman Dick Quinn became sales supervisor. Phil Baldwin became promotion manager. 


In January, manager John Hunt announced the following appointments at CKMO: Eileen Fox (assistant manager), Tom Slattery (advertising manager), Jack Quinn (sales supervisor), Al Reusch (production manager) and Jack Kemp (assistant production manager).

Orrin Botsford joined CKMO from Hamilton’s CKOC where he had been commercial manager. Al Goodwin was heard on-air at CKMO. Lloyd Bulmur hosted Speaking of Sports. Cy Cairns was a station pianist. Ralph Hall was an announcer at CKMO. George Dewey was chief announcer. Hugh Wallace and John Jackson left CKMO’s continuity department for similar jobs at CKNW. Tom Marshall joined CKMO as news editor. He had been with CFRN in Edmonton.

Vancouver’s oldest radio station – CKMO – marked 25 years of service and the 1st anniversary of its power increase to 1,000 watts, in June. CJCE went on the air with 50 watts of power to broadcast musical programs during the daytime only. Three businessmen, B.A. Arundel, G. Cran and R.J. Sprott started the station. CJCE was discontinued after a few months and later, Arundel and Sprott purchased ten watt CFCQ, which in 1922, became CKMO with 50 watts of power. Power later increased to 100 watts and a year ago, 1,000 watts. Also a year ago, new control room and recording equipment was installed. Today, CKMO had a staff of 37 and was noted for its sports coverage and musical programs. 

CKMO is listed as owned by British Columbia Broadcasting System Ltd., 812 Robson St., transmitter: Lulu Island. 

Hal Rodd joined CKMO’s announce staff from CJOB Winnipeg. Frank James was added to the sales department. Bud Smalley joined CKMO’s continuity department. Manager John Hunt announced he planned to leave CKMO at the end of September. Robert T. Bowman, former overseas correspondent and veteran newsman, was appointed manager of CKMO, succeeding John Hunt. Bowman had been acting manager of CJCH Halifax. When Hunt left CKMO, he did not announce his plans for the future. As it turned out, he opened up a station representation firm – John N. Hunt & Associates.

Phil Baldwin moved to CKNW New Westminster as musical director.


Manager Bob Bowman was also heard on-air. Ross Sangster joined CKMO as an announcer and librarian, from CJCH Halifax. Jack Cullen was on the air at CKMO. Kathleen Wilson (Betty Lee) had been on air at CKMO since 1929. Small Bud Smalley, author and narrator of “The Smallest Show in The World” was appointed CKMO’s continuity editor.

Slogan: The Swing in B.C. is To CKMO.

Al Reusch took his disc jockey show from CKMO to CKWX late in the year.


Slogan: You Make Friends In Vancouver When You Buy Neighborly CKMO.

Patricia Young was a copy writer. Nina Anthony became production manager and was new to the staff. Wally Garrett was appointed chief announcer. Bob Bowman, former manager of CKMO, was named manager of CFBC in Saint John. He had resigned as manager earlier but continued doing a nightly news commentary on CKMO until he left for the east. Edward Webber left CKMO to become chief engineer at the new CHUB in Nanaimo. Nina Anthony was now program and promotion manager. Jack Cullen moved his “Owl Prowl” program from CKMO to CKNW. CKMO wanted his last show to be August 18 and CKNW wanted his first show to be the same date. To please both stations, he did shows on both stations that date. The last CKMO show was live and the first show on CKNW was recorded. Cullen did not tell CKMO that he had recorded a show for CKNW. 

Mrs. R.J. Sprott, president of CKMO, was nominated by the Civic Non-Partisan Association to run on the aldermanic slate in the city elections. Mrs. K.M. Willis was manager and Tom Slattery was commercial manager.


Slogans from an ad: At CKMO we don’t BRIBE listeners – we WIN friends! GOOD music makes GOOD listening at 1410. Pioneer Voice of British Columbia.

Wally Garrett was chief announcer. Al Goodwin was commercial manager.


Bruce Arundel (50), vice president of CKMO and the man who started the first radio station west of Winnipeg in 1921, passed away in February. Arundel and R.J. Sprott pioneered CKMO and the Sprott-Shaw wireless telegraphy school, where he began instructing when he was 18.

Ex-commando and foreign correspondent Roy Jacques began an 8 p.m. newscast on CKMO for the morning News-Herald. This was the newspaper’s first assay into the evening news field.

CKMO and CKNW began airing early morning broadcasts by city traffic police to inform drivers of traffic problems. The broadcasts aired at 7:35 a.m. on CKNW and 8:05 a.m. on CKMO. Reports of specific traffic or winter conditions were broadcast to headquarters by cruiser cars shortly before broadcast times and then relayed to the two radio stations.

The CBC board approved the transfer of 100 common shares in British Columbia Broadcasting System Ltd. (CKMO).


British Columbia Broadcasting System Ltd. applied to the CBC for permission to sell CKMO to Robert Rankin Keay (OBCI). The CBC said the transfer was okay but said the licence would be cancelled if in the future it became apparent there was influence by another broadcasting organization. 


Sprott-Shaw sold CKMO to Radio C-FUN Ltd. (R.R. Keay, W.J. Barrie, A.M. Gavin, S.G. Ross, F.H. Elphicke, plus a number of shareholders who were station employees). Texas businessman Patt MacDonald was among the purchasers. The call letters changed to CFUN. McDonald was now manager and Fin Anthony was commercial manager.

However, a short time later, C-FUN sold out to a group which included Gordon Burnett (who later founded C-HOW, Welland, Ontario in 1957) and Robert Redmond (who launched CHSC and CHRE-FM St, Catherines, Ontario in 1967).

On February 14 at 6 p.m., the call letters changed to CFUN. 

Ad promoting the new station: Something wonderful has happened to Radio in Vancouver! CKMO is now…C-FUN…at 1410. New Management: Patt McDonald, manager; Fin Anthony, commercial manager. New Policy: Over 70 “commercial” programs per week eliminated to make way for new shows. New Talent: Top talent in every department and some of Canada’s top DJ’s on the air now at C-FUN. New Programs: Almost 100% overhaul of programming featuring the “Best Music on the Air!” “The Sweetest Listening In Town”. Dial 1410 – 812 Robson Street, Vancouver. Your best radio value in Canada’s Third Market. 


J. L. Sayers, general sales manager of CKWX, joined CFUN as manager.


Slogan: C-FUN – Vancouver’s fastest growing station. 

Terry Garner returned to CFUN as production manager. Al Jordan was at CFUN. John L. Sayers was general manager. Douglas S. Greig was appointed general sales manager. He had been local sales manager at CKWX.

Ad slogans: Get results worth talking about…bait your hook with C-FUN. There’s more FUN on C-FUN…so its the fastest growing station in Vancouver. / Having your ups and downs? For the best results…go steady with C-FUN…there’s more FUN on C-FUN… Vancouver’s fastest growing station.

As of December 1, CFUN’s address was 1900 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver. 


C-FUN increased power to 10,000 watts and moved to new studios at 1900 West 4th Avenue.


CFUN adopted a Top 40 (rock) format on March 10…24 hours a day. 


On September 17, CFUN planned to abandon its Rock format for a new emphasis on music, news, sports and talk, along with limited commercials. The decision was made in June and cost the station $200,000 to prepare for. At that time (June), C. Edward Farey was promoted from senior account executive to broadcast operations manager. On September 18, CFUN dropped its rock format for easy listening (“Sound of Music”).


Radio C-Fun Ltd. had applied for a power increase from 10,000 to 50,000 watts for CFUN. The application was denied because the Board of Broadcast Governors didn’t feel the station’s programming justified such an increase.


On May 28, CFUN was given approval to increase power from 10,000 full-time (directional at night) to 50,000 watts full-time (different patterns for day and night). The CRTC felt CFUN’s programming had improved since the BBG turned down a similar power increase application in 1966. 

There was a tentative agreement for Radio Futura Ltd. (CKVL Verdun, QC, headed by Jack Tietolman) to buy CFUN from Gordon W. Burnett (CFUN president – also president of CHOW Welland, ON). Other principals involved in the deal: R.E. Redmond (president of CHSC St. Catharines, ON) and Welland (ON) accountant Leo Bruzzese. The sale was subject to federal approval.

Also on May 28, a transfer of 100% of Radio C-Fun Ltd. to Radio Futura Ltd. and other minority shareholders was approved.

In August, Radio Futura (Jack Tietolman, owner of CKVL Verdun, Quebec) took ownership of CFUN, and the station switched to “wall-to-wall music.”


CFUN became CKVN with an all-news format. The VN in the calls: Voice of News. The corporate name changed to Radio Station CKVN Ltd.

CKVN’s power increase to 50,000 watts took place. 

CKVN subscribed to the Rogers Radio News Network which began operations in April. RRNN was affiliated with ABC in New York. 

Broadcast News was the main source of news for radio stations in Canada but only a handful at this time were subscribing to BN’s voice (audio) service. CKVN was one of those stations. 

CKVN Slogan: The Voice of News in Vancouver. 

CKVN expanded its all-news format from 7 1/2 to 10 hours a day. Continuous news was now heard from 6-10 a.m., noon-1 p.m., 4-7 p.m. and 9-11 p.m. The increase in news time brought CKVN one step closer to being Canada’s first all-news radio station. In addition to the news services of ABC, Rogers and Broadcast News, CKVN now added the services of UPI and the Mutual Broadcasting System as well. 

Dr. Frederick Hathaway hosted “The Voice of Horoscope” for two hours every mid-morning on CKVN.


CKVN announced it would fold its all-news and talk format. Manager M. Ronald Carabine said the station would terminate the experiment because of a lack of public acceptance. CKVN had carried total news or talk between 6 a.m. and midnight with music during the overnight hours. Carabine said 12 to 15 of CKVN’s 30 employees would be let go. Effective immediately, the station would begin varied music programming with five minute newscasts every half hour. The change took place in March.

On June 15, a change of corporate name was approved by the CRTC – from Radio Station CKVN Ltd. to Radio Futura Ltd.


On July 12, CHUM Ltd. of Toronto agreed to acquire CKVN from Radio Futura Ltd.  On December 4, the sale was approved.


CHUM Western Limited (CHUM Ltd.) took ownership of CKVN on January 1.

On September 30th, CKVN returned to the C-FUN call letters and went Top 40 again (from news). The CFUN calls returned to Vancouver after a sojurn in Newcastle, NB. CHUM negotiated a deal with the Newcastle station which had been CKMR before CFUN and would now be known as CFAN.


Paul Ski became GM. He had been with CJCH/CIOO Halifax and with CHUM Ltd. since 1972.


All CHUM Limited divisions, including CHUM Western Ltd., merged into CHUM Ltd. 

On December 19, CFUN switched from CHR (Contemporary Hits) to “Lite Rock, Less Talk”. 


Paul Ski was CFUN’s general manager.


J.J. Richards was news director at C-FUN. 

CFUN general manager Paul Ski was appointed vice president responsible for CHUM radio operations in Western Canada and program development at CFRA / CFMO-FM Ottawa and CJCH / CIOO-FM Halifax.


On January 25 CHUM Limited agreed to acquire CHQM-AM and FM Vancouver. On October 17 the CRTC approved the purchase, under the condition that CHQM-AM was sold to another party, as rules at the time only allowed ownership of one AM and one FM in a market area.  CHQM-AM was eventually sold and became multilingual CHMB-AM on February 9, 1994.


Early in the year, CFUN and CHQM-FM, also owned by CHUM Ltd., moved to the former Bendorf Vester Building on 2nd Ave.


CFUN changed from “all oldies all the time” to an all-talk format on March 27.


On November 3, the CRTC authorized CFUN to add digital radio transmitters on 1458.048 MHz (channel 2) with Effective Isotropic Radiated Power of 5,046 watts at Mount Seymour and 2,774 watts at Burnaby. 

On the same date, Vancouver joined Toronto as the second Canadian city to offer digital radio broadcasting. CBU-AM and FM, along with CBUF-FM, CHUM Limited’s CFUN and CHQM-FM and Fraser Valley Radio’s STAR-FM began regular Digital Radio broadcasting. All six signals were broadcast from two pods located at the CBC’s Mount Seymour transmission facilities. Rogers Broadcasting, Shaw Radio and Westcom Radio were planning to file applications for six more digital services in the city, to operate from the Rogers transmitter site, also on Mount Seymour.


On January 19, CFUN was given approval to operate a transitional digital radio undertaking at Vancouver. The station would operate on 1459.792 MHz with an effective isotropic radiated power of 5,046 watts from Mount Seymour and 2,774 watts from Burnaby. 


B.R. Bradbury died. He had been with C-FUN news up until about four years ago.

Ross Langbell, vice president of research at CFUN and CHQM-FM left to become general manager of RCS Canada as of March 1.

Daryl Burlingham (Daryl B) died February 25. Over the years, he had worked as an announcer at stations such as CKY, CKLG, CFUN, CKLW and CHUM.


CHUM Ltd. purchased CKST 1040.


Allan Waters, the founder of CHUM Limited, owner of CFUN,  passed away at the age of 84, on December 3rd.


On July 12 it was announced that Bell Globemedia would pay $1.7 billion for CHUM Ltd., in a deal that would see the company become part of the BCE-owned media conglomerate, subject to CRTC approval.  On August 31, the two companies announced that BGM had been successful in its offer to acquire approximately 6.7 million common shares and approximately 19.2 million non-voting Class B shares of CHUM.  The shares were to be placed in the hands of an independent trustee pursuant to a voting trust agreement approved by the CRTC.

 On December 12th, it was announced that Bell Globemedia would henceforth be known as CTVglobemedia.


A CRTC hearing on the CTVglobemedia application to acquire the assets of CHUM Limited was held on April 30th 2007.  On June 8 the CRTC approved the acquisition of CHUM Ltd. by CTVglobemedia, on condition that CTV sell off its five City-TV stations, CITY-TV Toronto, CHMI-TV Portage La Prairie/Winnipeg, CKEM-TV Edmonton, CKAL-TV Calgary and CKVU-TV Vancouver.   Rogers Communications announced on June 25th that a deal had been reached for them to buy these stations from CTV, subject to CRTC approval. Among the CHUM assets acquired by CTVglobemedia in the deal were seven television stations, 21 specialty channels and some 33 radio stations, including CFUN-AM.   


CFUN 1410 became The Buzz (still News-Talk) in early February. The Buzz changed to Talk 1410 later in the year.


On August 28, the CRTC renewed the transitional digital radio licence of CFUN-DR-2.

In October, CFUN was now fully operational from its new transmitter site in Delta. The old site would be kept operational until December to allow CFUN to remain on the air while engineers tune co-owned CKST, now operating at half power from the new antenna site. The old CKST towers, immediately to the north of the new ones, were toppled this month. Engineers hoped to have CKST fully operational at its new location by the end of October. Both CFUN and CKST would broadcast with 50,000 watts from the new state-of-the-art seven tower site. CFUN would be directional from two towers with the same pattern day and night. CKST would be directional from 5 towers with different day and night patterns.

Talk 1410 (CFUN) became all-sports Team 1410 on November 5, twinning with sister station Team 1040 (CKST). Team 1040 carried Vancouver Canucks games while Team 1410 aired the B.C. Lions. Team 1410 would also carry NFL football, major league baseball, NBA basketball, English premiere league and UEFA champion league soccer, plus major sporting events such as the Masters, the British Open, and the Daytona 500. If a listener missed a Canucks game on Team 1040 they would be able to hear a repeat of the game on Team 1410. CHUM Radio also had properties like Jim Rome, Dan Patrick and live events that would air on the new format. Team 1410 had no morning or afternoon drive shows but instead, aired a sports wheel in the morning where Team 1040 figures would appear. 

CFUN, which had switched from talk to all sports on November 5, was assigned the call sign CFTE at the end of the month (by Industry Canada). The historic CFUN calls had been in use by AM 1410 since February 14, 1955 when it changed from CKMO, except for the period from 1969-73 when it used the call letters CKVN. CKCL-FM in Chilliwack/Abbotsford picked up the CFUN calls as CFUN-FM.

Cody Mackay, formerly a broadcast technician at CHUM Radio Vancouver, joined Astral Media Radio Vancouver as Director of Engineering.


Robert Park Malcolm died at age 69. He had been with CFUN and CKNW, and had anchored the late news at BCTV for over 19 years.

Ron Carabine died at age 86. He was a former CFUN General Manager, at that post when it changed call letters in 1969 to CKVN – the VN signifying The Voice of News.

Bob Colling died at age 84. The veteran radio Newsman began at CHWK Chilliwack in 1948. His career included stops at CHLO St. Thomas, CKNW New Westminster, CKMO and CKWX Vancouver and then 25 years with Broadcast News in Edmonton. He retired in 1991.


On March 7, the CRTC approved an application by BCE Inc. on behalf of CTVglobemedia Inc., for authority to change the effective control of CTVgm’s licensed broadcasting subsidiaries to BCE. The Commission concluded that the transaction would be beneficial to the Canadian broadcasting system by ensuring the long-term stability of a significant Canadian television network and advancing the Commission’s objective of providing relevant high-quality Canadian programming to Canadians through conventional and new media distribution channels. BCE was a public corporation and controlled by its board of directors. Before this approval, BCE held 15% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm. The other shareholders were 1565117 Ontario Limited (a corporation ultimately controlled by Mr. David Kenneth R. Thomson) (40% of the voting interest), Ontario Teacher’s Plan Board (25% of the voting interest) and Torstar Corporation (20% of the voting interest). Under the transaction agreement dated September 10, 2010, BCE would acquire the remaining 85% of the voting interest in the capital of CTVgm and would therefore exercise effective control.

On March 15, CTV Inc., CTV Corp., CTV Limited and CTVglobemedia Inc. amalgamated to continue as CTV Inc.

BCE Inc. announced on April 1 that it had completed its acquisition of CTV and that it had launched Bell Media (replacing CTVglobemedia), a new business unit that would make CTV programs and other Bell content available on smartphones and computers as well as traditional television. In addition to CTV and its television stations, Bell Media now also perated 29 specialty channels, 33 radio stations, Dome Productions, a mobile broadcast facilities provider, and dozens of high-traffic news, sports and entertainment websites, including the portal.

The CRTC approved a change to the ownership of Bell Media Inc., from BCE Inc. to Bell Canada. This transaction would not affect effective control of Bell Media Inc. and of its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, which continued to be exercised by BCE Inc. Bell Media Inc. held, directly and through its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, various radio and television programming undertakings as well as specialty and pay-per-view television services.

On August 22, the CRTC approved the applications by BCE Inc., on behalf of Bell Media Inc. and 7550413 Canada Inc., carrying on business as Bell Media British Columbia Radio Partnership, for authority to acquire, as part of a corporate reorganization, CFTE, CKST, CFBT-FM and CHQM-FM Vancouver, and CFAX and CHBE-FM Victoria. Bell Media, the managing partner holding 99.99% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Canada and controlled by BCE. 7550413, the other partner holding the remaining 0.01% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Media and is also controlled by BCE. BCE submitted that the purpose of this corporate reorganization was to realize tax efficiencies. The Commission noted that this transaction would not affect the effective control of the undertakings which would continue to be exercised by BCE. 

Bell Media announced that as of October 5, CKGM (The Team 990 – Montreal) and CFRW (Sports Radio 1290 – Winnipeg) would rebrand as TSN Radio 990 and TSN 1290, respectively, joining CHUM (TSN Radio 1050 – Toronto) to form the TSN Radio network. Both stations would maintain local schedules, although TSN announced that there would be some talent exchange amongst the stations. TSN also said that CFGO (The Team 1200 – Ottawa), and CKST and CFTE (The Team 1040 and The Team 1410 – Vancouver) would work closely with the network. 

Peter Schaad joined Team 1410 Vancouver as the Vancouver Whitecaps play-by-play announcer. He also hosted a one-hour soccer show weekdays. Schaad had been the afternoon drive Host at 100.5 The Peak Vancouver. Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame in 2004 inductee Paul Dolan signed with Team 1410 to provide colour commentary for Whitecaps FC matches. 


Bell Media created four new regional VP positions for radio and local television. They would report to Chris Gordon, president, radio & local TV, Bell Media. James Stuart, VP/GM at Bell Media Radio Vancouver (CFBT-FM/CFTE/CHQM-FM/CKST) would be responsible for British Columbia. Local GMs at radio and TV stations would now report to Stuart.

Brian Lord died at 77. He had been a CFUN Good Guy, and was in the radio business for almost 47 years. He worked at CFCR-TV Kamloops, KMEN San Bernardino, KLIV San Jose, CJJC Langley, CKDA Victoria, CKWX Vancouver, CHRX/The Bridge Vancouver and Metro Broadcasting Hong Kong. Lord retired in 2001 and moved to the Philippines with his new wife.

Jerry Landa died at age 78. Landa was one of the CFUN Good Guys of the early ’60s. He also worked at CKDA Victoria, CKLG, CJOR and CKWX Vancouver, and CHUB Nanaimo into the ’80s before retiring. 


Bell Media announced that the TEAM radio stations in Vancouver and Ottawa would be re-branded as TSN Radio giving the brand a presence in 5 of 7 Canadian cities with NHL franchises.

Hal Rodd died at age 91. He began his radio career in Hollywood as a sound technician on radio’s Ozzie & Harriett Show. After moving back to Canada, he worked in the Vancouver newsrooms of CKMO, CJOR, CKNW and CFUN, where he was also News Director.

Brian “Buzz” LeBoe died at age 68. He was a C-FUN “Good Guy” in the early ‘60s, became CKIQ Kelowna’s first morning host in 1971, was with CKLG-FM and CKWX in the mid ‘70s, at CJAY-FM in the late ‘70s and back at CFUN in the early ‘80s.

It was announced in November that the Bell Media Vancouver radio stations would move downtown to 969 Robson Street, Suite 500.


Team 1040 and Team 1410 were rebranded as TSN 1040 and TSN 1410.


CFTE became available in HD via CHQM-FM-HD2 at 103.5 MHz.


Bob Merchant passed away at age 69. Over his radio career he worked as an announcer at CKXL Calgary, CICA Edmonton, CHNL Kamloops, CFUN Vancouver and CISL Richmond.

At Bell Media Vancouver, 18 people were affected by the latest job cuts in November. Among them on the CTV side: sports director Perry Solkowski, reporters Lisa Rossington and Peter Grainger, meteorologist Michael Kuss, assignment editor Len Catling and producer John Scott. At TSN Radio Vancouver: Jeff Paterson, Matt Baker and Cam Mitchell.


On April 30, Bell Media launched BNN Bloomberg Radio (BNN Bloomberg Radio 1410) on CFTE 1410 (formerly TSN Radio 1410). The new format featured a simulcast of BNN Bloomberg’s linear television broadcast and in-depth, live, long-form, specialty programming.

 J.J. Richards (88) died on June 30. He began his career as a teenage disc jockey in Brandon, MB in 1948 before moving on to CKUA Edmonton, CBC and CHUM Toronto, CKDA/CFMS-FM Victoria, CFUN and CHQM-FM Vancouver. He worked as a news reader, foreign correspondent, news director and talk show host up until his retirement in 2000. Richards received the RTDNA Distinguished Service Award in 1993 and the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004.

Neil Arnold (74) died on December 12. He was a longtime news anchor in Vancouver, starting at CFUN in the mid-1970s, moving on to CJOR and then CKWX in the early 1980s. He later anchored for CKO Vancouver.


“Hunky Bill” Konyk, 88, died on August 13. He joined CKY-AM Winnipeg in the late 1950’s. In 1966 he moved to Vancouver’s CJOR. In l967, he moved to CFUN as General Sales Manager. While at CFUN, he started importing Ukrainian food from Winnipeg, landed a booth at the Pacific National Exhibition on a bet, and the “Hunky Bill” empire was born.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station