CBU-AM, Radio One, Vancouver

Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

CBU-AM201869025,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBU-AM196769050,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBU-AM195169010,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBR-AM1949113010,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBR-AM194111305,000Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
CBR-AM19371100n/aCanadian Broadcasting Corp.
CRCV-AM19361100n/aCanadian Broadcasting Corp.
CRCV-AM19331100n/aCanadian Radio Broadcasting Commission
CNRV-AM19251100n/aCanadian National Railway


Canadian National Railways opened CNRV on 1100 kHz.

CBU can trace its birth to the founding in 1925 of CNVR – one of three owned-and-operated radio stations established by the Canadian National Railways (CNRO Ottawa and CNRA Moncton in 1924) ostensibly, to provide entertainment and news to passengers in parlour cars of the trains as they approached and departed from major cities across Canada and for the benefit of the area residents. The stations, which included private stations on which the CNR leased approximately three hours per week, were supplied with “live” programs over CN telegraph wires, and also engaged in local programming. While awaiting the completion of “network” facilities to Vancouver, CNRV was programmed entirely locally until December 28th, 1929.

During those years local actors and musicians found a new outlet for their talent, when drama and musical shows were produced regularly. Well known pianist John Avison started out accompanying various soloists, but was soon conducting a small chamber orchestra.


On December 28, CNRV was linked to the rest of the CNR network. While some programs from the network made it before then, using telephone lines to complete the connection from wherever the telegraph lines ended as the crews worked there way thru the Rockies.  The official completion of the coast to coast network was a great event in Vancouver just before the New Year, 


CNR closed its radio operations and CNRV was purchased by the new Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission on March 1. The CRBC also became the regulator of radio broadcasting in Canada.

CNRV became CRCV on April 16.

CRCV continued the commitment to the drama and music format established by the CNR.


The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation was formed on November 2 (replacing the CRBC) and took over CRCV 1100.


Jack Peach left CRCV for the CBC network on February 1. 

On February 16, CRCV increased power from 500 to 5,000 watts, and began operating from new studios located in the Hotel Vancouver.

The call letters officially changed from CRCV to CBR on October 1.

Music and drama flourished under these conditions, and Vancouver vied with Toronto for top production centre. Many famous Canadian writers, actors and directors developed their skills at CBC Vancouver. Andrew Allan,Lister Sinclair, John Drainie, Bernard Braden and wife Barbara Kelley, Fletcher Markle and management by Ira Dilworth gave Vancouver a great boost in the Arts field.

Perhaps the forerunner of the soap operas could be found in programs such as “The Carsons” on daily (following the noon news, and farm market reports), a 15 minute drama about farm life, or the series “Mr. and Mrs.” a domestic comedy staring Esther and Allan Roughton. Both these programs ran for several years in the ’30s and ’40s.


Station manager Ira Dilworth formed the CBC Vancouver Chamber Orchestra, conducted by John Avison. Peter Aylen became manager of CBR after holding the same position at CBL Toronto. 


Announcer Hugh Bartlett left for CBC Toronto. 


The CBC was working to provide more adequate coverage in B.C. Power at CBV (CBR) Vancouver would be increased and a number of subsidiary stations would be built in the interior.

John S. Peach was an announcer at CBR. Andrew Allan joined CBR’s production staff. 


The CBC was installing a number of small broadcasting stations in certain areas of B.C. and in Northern Ontario, where residents had poor reception due to natural barriers. The first such station was now in operation at Revelstoke, operating on 840 kHz with 20 watts of power. The station had experimental call letters which would change shortly to something similar to what was used by other CBC stations. Similar stations were to be built at various repeater points and small settlements throughout the Rocky Mountains along the two railway lines. Plans called for similar operations in northern Ontario north of Lake Superior following the rail lines. The CBRA call letters were assigned to the Revelstoke transmitter. This transmitter went into operation on October 22.


Under the Havana Treaty, CBR moved from 1100 kHz to 1130 kHz (Class I-B Clear Channel) on March 29. Power remained 5,000 watts.

A shortwave transmitter was established at Vancouver to provide service to B. C.’s interior.

F.R. Halhed joined CBC Vancouver as an announcer. He had been working in Victoria. 


CBR added more LPRT’s – North Bend (September 11), Fernie (December 14), Cranbrook (December 17), Kimberley (December 18) and Creston (December 22).

On September 16, Gladstone Murray, general manager of the CBC announced that the networks would sign off at 11:30 p.m. local time in all regions as of September 27. The reduction was designed to reduce wear on equipment. Murray said that such a reduction would lengthen the life of a large amount of the equipment, some of which could not be replaced. Some of the vacuum tubes used at the 50,000 watt outlets were water cooled and cost as much as $3,000. The half hour reduction would not apply on all nights to CBA Sackville. It would continue to operate for the extra 30 minutes on some nights.  


Bill Herbert, chief announcer and special events supervisor of the B.C. region of the CBC (at Vancouver), joined the Canadian Army.


Roy Dunlop was named production manager at CBR. He had been a radio and stage producer and a member of the CBC Vancouver production staff. Kenneth Caple, former director of school broadcasts was named program director. Phil Kitley joined CBR as school broadcasts chief. Traffic chief Ted Pegg joined the army (RCCS). Pat Lewis joined CBR’s news staff. Doug Nixon moved from news to handle talks with the production department. 



Gordon Bennett joined the CBC Vancouver studio staff from CJAT Trail where he had been an engineer. William Cruikshank joined the CBR announce staff after overseas service with the Canadian Army. Jack Bingham joined CBR’s annouce staff from CKWX Vancouver. Douglas Marshall was now with the Army. Ira Dilworth was manager. Announcer Alan Thompson joined CBR. Dick Halhed left CBR as chief announcer for CBC Winnipeg where he would be a producer in the program department. Clayt Wilson returned to CBR after some time as an engineer with the CBC Overseas Unit.

F.R. Halhed transferred to CBC Winnipeg as a producer.


The Smithers Chamber of Commerce was trying to convince the CBC to open a rebroadcast transmitter in their town to carry the programs of CBC Vancouver. Residents felt it was exaggerated that it would cost $15,000 annually to operate a 15 watt repeter station. The chamber was looking into the possibility of purchasing equipment from the War Assets Corporation.

F.B.C. Hilton was CBR’s chief operator. Bill Herbert and Don Smith were in CBR’s news department. Gordon Benett joined CBR as special events man, under Ted Le Veque. He had been an engineer at CJAT Trail. Arthur Ellis was the CBC’s regional engineer. Pat Keatley worked in the publicity department. 

UBC’s Allan Ainsworth did some relief announcing at CBR this year. Dick Elson was news director. Vancouver Sun feature writer Pierre Burton was doing a series of talks on CBR after the 10 o’clock news. Margaret Fielder was the last CBR staffer back from the war. Jimmy Gilmore was a technician. Tom Leach was farm editor. Mavor Moore succeeded Archie MacCorkindale as drama chief at CBR. 

A new special effect studio was constructed at CBR, with two turntables and other equipment.

The CBC announced plans to increase CBR’s power to 50,000 watts. 


The CBC opened an FM station in Vancouver – VE9FG (eventually became CBR-FM and then CBU-FM). 

Ira Dilworth, regional representative of the CBC for B.C., was appointed to a two year term to be general supervisor of the CBC International Service. Jean-Marie Beaudet, CBC supervisor of music and director of the CBC French network succeeded Dilworth at Vancouver. 

Arthur B. Ellis was senior engineer for the CBC Pacific region. Bill Herbert was special events man. J.K. Nesbitt was the station’s veteran legislative press gallery reporter. Ellen Harris did her 300th broadcast of “Morning Visit”. 

Ira Dilworth was manager and Harold Paulson was commercial manager. Dilworth was transferred from CBR to the post of supervisor of the CBC’s international services in Montreal. He had been with CBR for nine years. Jean-Marie Beaudet became CBC’s regional director in Vancouver. Lloyd Morris was an announcer at CBR. Kenneth P. Caple was the CBC’s regional program director for B.C.

In July, three CBR rebroadcast transmitters changed frequency. CBRA Revelstoke moved from 560 to 860 kHz. CBRF Fernie moved from 940 to 860 kHz. CBRL Williams Lake moved from 940 to 690 kHz. CBRA’s change was to improve reception due to the mountainous terrain. The changes at CBRF and CBRL were required to avoid interference to the soon to open CJIB (940) in Vernon. 

Bill Herbert was CBR’s special events chief. Tom Leach was farm director. David Savage was a writer. Bill Inglis was an announcer. Ada McGear was a producer.

The first FM transmitter west of Toronto went on the air in Vancouver (CBR) on December 12.


Ken Caple was acting manager. Harold Paulson was sales manager. The first woman producer employed by the CBC, Ada McGeer, retired from her post at CBR after ten years with the CBC. Dennis Sweeting was an announcer at CBR. Operator Archibald J. Pook (41) died while on the job.

The CBC now had 11 rebroadcast transmitters in B.C. with the start up of transmitters at Ashcroft (1070 kHz with 20 watts) and Princeton (860 kHz with 20 watts). A transmitter at Field was scheduled to open later in the summer. CBC engineering said the transmitters had an effective radius of about five to ten miles.

The CBC announced plans for power increases and new stations at four locations. CBM Montreal and CBR Vancouver would increase power from 5,000 to 50,000 watts. New stations would be established at Windsor (10,000 watts) and Sydney (1,000 watts). Sydney should be operational this fall. The other changes would not be in place until late 1949.


Clyde Gilmour, CBC movie critic (CBR), as of April 27, launched a new half hour series on CKWX on the criticism of classical recordings. Ken Caple was manager and Harold Paulson was commercial manager.


CBC regional director Ken Caple announced CBR would boost its power from 5,000 to 10,000 watts in the summer. He said the 10,000 watt transmitter at the coast, plus relay stations in the interior, will give the province the best possible coverage. Previous plans for 50,000 watt transmitters at nine location, including Vancouver, had been abandoned, at least in the case of the west coast, since the relay stations gave better coverage. CBR’s transmitter was on Lulu Island, south of the city in the delta of the Fraser River. Work on the new system was well underway in March. 

CBR increased power to 10,000 watts full-time in September. The transmitter was on Lulu Island, and two 404 foot towers were used. 


William Inglis became a producer at CBC Radio Vancouver.


The CBC doubled the power of CBR on the night of January 25. Power increased from 5,000 to 10,000 watts and the frequency changed from 1130 to 690 kHz. The call letters changed at this time from CBR to CBU. The new 400 foot tower on Lulu Island cost $50,000 to put up and engineers stated that northern and south-western regions of the province would get better reception with the improvements. The changes came 15 years after the CBC began operations in British Columbia. Some of the entertainers who have frequently appeared on CBR appeared on the first program on CBU…John Avison, Bill Buckingham, Harry Pryce, E.V. Young and Jean de Rimanoczy. CBC chairman A.D. Dunton was also on hand for the opening of the 10,000 watt transmitter.

Doug Nixon was program director. 

To give more adequate coverage of network programs to isolated communities, the CBC was building 20 additional 50 watt transmitters throughout the country. This would bring the total of such CBC repeaters to 47. Most were located in railway telegraph offices and connected to the main CBC network landline system. The following B.C. communities would be next in line for CBC repeaters: Natal, Hutton, McBride, Foster, Golden, Grand Forks, Greenwood and Lytton – all in the Rocky Mountain region of the province.


The CBC purchased CFPR-AM Prince Rupert.

CBUT Television signed on the air in Vancouver. 

Ross Whiteside, a radio engineer with CBC Vancouver for four years, was named technical director of CBUT as of October. 


Producer William Inglis moved to CBUT. Bill Cunningham joined CBU as a news reporter. He had been with Broadcast News.


Rebroadcaster CBUE 740 signed on in Hope. 

Robert H. Buhr became regional sales manager for CBC British Columbia.


CBU’s shortwave transmitter – CBUX – was noted as operating on 6,160 kHz with a power of 500 watts. CBUX had been on the air for a number of years. The transmitter rebroadcast the programming of CBU-AM. 

William Inglis returned to CBU from CBUT – this time as program director. 


J. Douglas Nixon, program director of CBU for the past seven years, was named assistant director of CBC English radio network planning at Toronto’s program headquarters.

Ad slogan: In British Columbia CBC Radio alone matches your advertising to your distribution with stations CBU Vancouver, CFPR Prince Rupert plus 31 repeater stations serving 150,000* extra listeners at no extra cost. (*Elliott-Haynes) 
CBC was also planning a shortwave transmitter at Vancouver.


Ads: Best buy in British Columbia where CBC Radio has the adult in mind. Sell the listener who can and will buy with…CBC Radio. / One radio buy gets the whole province in British Columbia – CBU Vancouver / CFPR Prince Rupert. CBC Radio is the only way to reach everybody in B.C.! Proof? With Radio Stations CBU and CFPR, plus a bonus audience covered by repeaters of 220,000 people, your sales talk in B.C. can be heard everywhere by everybody! / Get the Big Plus on CBC Radio in British Columbia. PLUS – more adult listeners per dollar! PLUS – coverage of 220,400 listeners via 35 repeater stations! PLUS – complete competitive protection. 


Bill Cunningham left CBU news for the CBC Television network in Toronto. 


CBC Radio added an all-night service in June.


Robert H. Buhr left the CBC (BC) where he had been regional sales manager.


In December, CBU was granted a power increase from 10,000 to 50,000 watts. A new transmitter site with four 200 foot top-loaded towers would be used. 


CBC Radio’s all-night service, started in 1963, came to an end on March 1. When the service started it was primarily intended as a national information and warning system to be used in emergencies. Even though the service had now ended, the CBC said it would maintain a stand-by procedure through the night and broadcasts would begin immediately in the event of an emergency.

Bob McGall was named director of CBC British Columbia as of July 1. He succeeded Kenneth P. Caple who retired at the end of May.


On November 24, CBU moved to the new CBC Vancouver Broadcasting Centre at 700 Hamilton Street. CBC radio and TV operations in the city had been scattered at various locations. It was a time of decentralizing at the CBC and there was a need for a lot of studios. Most of the studios were underground, with five storeys above ground. The top two floors were filled with technical systems.


The CBC applied for a new AM rebroadcaster at Gold Bridge, using 860 kHz with a power of 40 watts. The CBC also applied for a change of transmitter site for CBRZ Bralorne.


British conductor John Eliot Gardiner was named the successor to a retiring John Avison, as the CBC Vancouver Chamber Orchestra became known as the CBC Vancouver Orchestra.


Mario Bernardi succeeded John Eliot Gardiner as the conductor of the CBC Vancouver Orchestra.


On June 30, the CRTC approved the application to amend the licence for CKZU Vancouver by increasing the power of the shortwave transmitter from 500 watts to 1,000 watts. 


On January 14, the CRTC approved the CBC’s applications to amend the licence for CBDG Cassiar by changing the frequency from 670 kHz to 1560 kHz and to change the frequency for CBUQ Lake Windermere from 1150 kHz to 800 kHz.


On January 8, the CRTC approved the application to amend the licence for CBUA-FM Atlin by decreasing the effective radiated power from 15 watts to 14 watts. The Commission noted that this proposal reflected the actual parameters of the station and would not affect the coverage area of CBUA-FM.

The following transmitters were removed from CBU’s licence as they became rebroadcasters of CBYG Prince George: CBUZ Chetwynd, CBKQ-FM Dawson Creek, CBDA Fort Nelson, CBUO-FM Fort Nelson, CBYJ-FM Fort St. John, CBUW Fort St. John, CBXU Hudson Hope, CBYY-FM Kersley, CBWF Mackenzie, CBXM McBride, CBRQ Quesnel, CBTU-FM Tumbler Ridge, CBKI Valemount, CBYW Wells.

The following transmitters were removed from CBU’s licence as they became rebroadcasters of CBTK Kelowna: CBYU-FM Alexis Creek, CBWA Ashcroft, CBYO-FM Barriere, CBKM Blue River, CBUD-FM Bonnington, CBXH Boss Mountain, CBRZ Bralorne, CBKS Cache Creek, CBYC-FM Canal Flats, CBUD Castlegar, CBUH Chase, CBRI Christina Lake, CBKZ Clearwater, CBUU Clinton,  CBXH Cooper Creek, CBRR-FM Cranbrook, CBTE-FM Crawford Bay, CBRM Creston, CBRM-FM Creston, CBWD Donald, CBXW Edgewood, CBYX-FM Enderby, CBTN-FM Fernie, CBTF-FM Falkland, CBRD Field, CBTG Gold Bridge, CBXE-FM Golden,  CBRJ Grand Forks, CBRO Greenwood, CBKW Jaffray, CBYK-FM Kamloops, CBUG Kaslo, CBKY Keremeos, CBRK Kimberley, CBUY Lac La Hache, CBUQ Lake Windermere, CBUL Lillooet, CBYE-FM Logan Lake, CBYL-FM Lumby, CBRE Lytton, CBTY-FM Lytton, CBUP Merritt, CBXA Mica Dam, CBXS Midway, CBUM Nakusp,  CBYN-FM Nelson, CBUI New Denver, CBRN-FM North Bend, CBUS 100 Mile House, CBUS-FM 100 Mile House, CBUB-FM Osoyoos, CBKR Parson, CBTP-FM Penticton, CBRP Princeton, CBKV Radium Hot Springs, CBRA Revelstoke, CBYR-FM Rock Creek, CBUN Salmo, CBUC Salmon Arm, CBKN Shalalth, CBUJ Slocan, CBKX Sorrento, CBYS-FM Sparwood, CBTA-FM Trail, CBYZ-FM Vavenby, CBYV-FM Vernon, and CBRL Williams Lake.


CBC Radio added overnight programming to its schedule on May 1, with “CBC Radio Overnight”. The programming started out on certain CBC stations and was expanded to all of its stations by September. The program aired between 1:00 and 6:00 a.m. (local time) and offered reports from public broadcasters in 25 countries, with Canadian news on the hour. The program service was provided by the World Radio Network in London, England.


On September 1 (not 1998), the CBC Radio network (CBC Radio) was renamed “CBC Radio One”.

On November 20, CBU was given approval to delete the following rebroadcasters from its licence: CBRY-FM Alert Bay, CBYT-FM Campbell River, CBKO Coal Harbour, CBKJ Gold River, CBTQ-FM Port Alberni, CBUX Port Alice, CBUY-FM Port Hardy, CBUW-FM Powell River, CBKU Sayward, CBXP Tahsis, CBXZ-FM Tofino, CBXQ Ucluelet and CBTW-FM Woss Camp. These transmitters were now included in the proposed new CBC Radio station at Victoria, granted a licence this date.


On September 28 at 6 a.m., CBCV 90.5 Victoria signed on.

On November 3, the CRTC gave CBU approval to add digital radio broadcasting transmitters, operating on 1454.560 MHz (channel 2) with Effective Isotropic Radiated Power of 5,046 watts from Mount Seymour and 2,774 watts from Burnaby. 

On the same date, Vancouver joined Toronto as the second Canadian city to offer digital radio broadcasting. CBU-AM and FM, along with CBUF-FM, CHUM Limited’s CFUN and CHQM-FM and Fraser Valley Radio’s STAR-FM began regular Digital Radio broadcasting. All six signals were broadcast from two pods located at the CBC’s Mount Seymour transmission facilities. Rogers Broadcasting, Shaw Radio and Westcom Radio were planning to file applications for six more digital services in the city, to operate from the Rogers transmitter site, also on Mount Seymour.


On January 19, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application for a transitional digital radio undertakings for CBU, operating on 1459.792 MHz with an effective isotropic radiated power of 5,046 watts from Mount Seymour and 2,774 watts from Burnaby.

The CBC Vancouver Orchestra became the CBC Radio Orchestra following the elimination of the other CBC radio orchestras in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, and Winnipeg due to federal budget cuts in the early 1990s.


At this time CBU Vancouver operated the following transmitters: CBYF-FM Chilliwack, CBYH-FM Harrison Hot Springs, CBUE-FM Hope, CBXK Pemberton, CBRU Squamish, CKZU Vancouver, CBYW-FM Whistler. CBU broadcast approximately 42 hours and 15 minutes of local programming each week from Vancouver.


On September 7, CBU was given approval to add a rebroadcast transmitter at Abbotsford, operating on 101.7 MHz with an effective radiated power of 67 watts.


Trombonist and conductor Alain Trudel succeeded CBC Radio Orchestra conductor Mario Bernardi.


On March 27, Director of CBC Radio Music, Mark Steinmetz, flew from Toronto to tell the CBC Radio Orchestra’s 35 freelance musicians that it would be disbanded later in the year. Richard Kurth, head of the University of British Columbia’s school of music, called the loss of the orchestra, “a tragic event, both culturally and economically, for the musical life of the region and of the nation.” The dismantling of the orchestra, the last of its kind in North America, followed the Corporation’s cancellation of such classical music shows as “Music for a While” and “In Performance”, along with other key CBC Vancouver radio shows “Sounds Like Canada” and “Disc Drive”. 


On May 12 CBU had its licence renewed by the CRTC. The renewal included the following rebroadcast transmitters: CBU-DR-2 Vancouver, CBRU Squamish, CBXK Pemberton, CKZU (Shortwave) Vancouver, CBRU-FM Squamish, CBUE-FM Hope, CBYF-FM Chilliwack, CBYH-FM Harrison Hot Springs, and CBYW-FM Whistler. 

On December 4, the CBC held an open house to show off its revamped Vancouver headquarters at 700 Hamilton Street. The renovations took four years and $65 million to complete. The corporation considered selling the building and constructing a new facility, but that would have cost $100 million or more. It also would have been difficult to find a new location as central as the existing facility. The old building was still there, but it was kind of hidden behind a new wing in front. The new 25,000-square-foot space housed all local news gathering operations – TV, radio, English, French, and internet. 

Johnny Michel was CBC Vancouver’s managing director.


On May 21, the CRTC approved the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to amend the broadcasting licence for CBU Vancouver in order to change the frequency of its transmitter CBU-1-FM Abbotsford from 101.7 MHz (channel 269A) to 88.5 MHz (channel 203B1), and to change the authorized contours of CBU-1-FM by increasing the average effective radiated power from 67 watts to 2,390 watts (maximum ERP from 316 watts to 6,000 watts), by decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 150.4 metres to 121.2 metres and by moving the antenna. The Commission noted that the transmitter’s authorized contours would be significantly increased as a result of the new technical parameters. 

Kenneth Berube died at age 61. Born in St. Catharines, Berube, after working at a radio station in London, England, returned to Canada and began working as an audio engineer at CBC Vancouver in 1976. He retired in 2007.

Thomas J. Robinson died at 91. He was the first on-camera news reader when CBUT-TV went on the air. He became chief announcer for CBC Vancouver in 1958 and held that post until he retired in 1984. 

Belle Puri, most recently a Senior Reporter with CBC News Vancouver, was appointed Press Secretary to B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell. She began her career at CKNW and worked with BCTV. In 2006 she was named CBC’s legislative Bureau Chief in Victoria. Just days after Puri made the decision, Premier Campbell announced his resignation. Puri decided to remain with CBC. She said she hadn’t been looking to leave the CBC but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be Gordon Campbell’s press secretary.

On August 9, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence of CBU-DR-2, CBU (and its transmitters) to August 31, 2011.


In 2010, the CBC had the licenses for its Montreal digital radio transmitters revoked. On January 21, 2011, the CRTC revoked the licenses for the rest of the CBC’s digital radio transmitters across the country – at the Corporation’s request. The revocations included CBU-DR-1, CBU-DR-2, CBUF-DR-1 and CBUX-DR-1 Vancouver. There had been a total lack of interest in digital radio by all parties involved.

The CRTC approved an amendment to the proposed technical parameters and antenna site for the new mono transmitter CBU-1-FM Abbotsford (88.5 Mhz). Effective radiated power would increase from 6,000 watts maximum / 2,390 watts average to 7,400 watts maximum / 3,430 watts average. Antenna height would increase from 121.2 to 104.3 metres from a new site. The radiation pattern would remain directional. 

CBU-1-FM (88.5 MHz) in Abbotsford signed on the air.

On August 25, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CBU and its transmitters to March 1, 2013.


On January 24, the CRTC approved the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to amend the licence for CBU Vancouver in order to operate an FM transmitter at Pemberton to replace its existing low-power AM transmitter CBXK. The new transmitter will operate at 91.5 MHz (channel 218A) with an average effective radiated power of 262 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -801.8 metres). The CBC indicated that the transition to FM was necessary because a mixed-use building was recently constructed near its AM station and the existing tower owner intended to erect a self-supporting cellular tower nearby that would further decrease the signal’s quality. The CBC also indicated that it wished to relinquish its authority for CBXK once the FM transmitter was approved and implemented.  

CBU-3-FM 91.5 was now on the air at Pemberton, replacing CBXK 1240 AM.

Dave Abbott died at age 74. He began his radio career at CJOR and CKNW and then CJVI. In 1965, he moved to CBC where he stayed for the next 20 years.

On September 13, the CRTC approved the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to modify the technical parameters of CBU-2-FM Vancouver, a rebroadcasting transmitter of CBU Vancouver, by increasing the average effective radiated power from 8,900 to 36,900 watts (maximum ERP from 19,500 to 97,600 watts) and by increasing the effective height of antenna above average terrain from 567.2 to 605.8 metres. The CBC stated that this amendment was necessary to operate the rebroadcasting transmitter at its full power, which was made possible by the cessation of the operation of analogue channel 6 (CHEK-TV) on Saturna Island.

John Patrick George Lysaght died at age 73. He had a 30-year career with CBC Vancouver, retiring in 1995 from his position as Director of English Regional Communications. 


John “Jack” Thorne died at 91. He was with CBC Radio Vancouver in the 1930s, joined the Royal Canadian Air Force for WWII’s duration, pursued a liberal arts degree specializing in theatre at Northwestern University and returned to Vancouver. Thorne was hired as one of CBC’s first TV producers and remained with the Corporation for the rest of his career, a highlight of which was giving the first cue when CBC-TV Vancouver joined the national network. In 1970, he moved to CBC Montreal and became responsible for children’s and music programming.

On February 22, the CRTC administratively renewed the licences for CBU Vancouver and its transmitters to August 31, 2013.

In April, fire destroyed the transmitting facilities of CBXW 860 Edgewood. The transmitter would not return to the air or be replaced by FM.

On May 28, the CRTC rnewed the licence of CBU Vancouver and its transmitters CBRU-FM Squamish, CBU-1-FM Abbotsford, CBU-2-FM Vancouver, CBU-3-FM Pemberton, CBUE-FM Hope, CBYF-FM Chilliwack, CBYH-FM Harrison Hot Springs, CBYW-FM Whistler, CBXK Pemberton and CKZU Vancouver, for a five year term, to August 31, 2018.

On August 15, the CRTC approved the deletion of transmitter CBXK Pemberton from the licence of CBU.

The CRTC approved the reactivation of the CKZU shortwave rebroadcasting transmitter that was wrongfully deleted from the broadcasting licence for CBU, following a request by the CBC for its deletion. 


Alf Spence died at age 90. The audio technician began at CKMO in 1941 when he was 16, and moved to CKWX in 1942. After a 3-year absence from radio he joined the tech staff at CBC Radio Toronto in 1949 and moved to CBC Radio Vancouver in 1953, retiring in 1983.


When CBXQ 540 Ucluelet completed the move to 92.7 MHz (FM), the call letters changed to CBXZ-FM-1.


CBU morning host Rick Cluff celebrated his 40th year with the CBC on May 4. He had been hosting The Early Edition in September of 1997.


Evelyn Harper (97) died on March 21. She was a long-time CBC Vancouver employee, starting out in 1939 as a stenographer. She worked her way up the ranks to production assistant and in 1970 became a program commentator.

Rick Cluff retired as host of Early Edition on December 22 after 41 years with the CBC.


On February 7, the CRTC approved the CBC’s application for CBU to decrease its power (day and night) from 50,000 to 25,000 watts. The CBC stated that the changes were required due to damage sustained by a recent fire and that they should result in a similar coverage area, as most of the Radio One AM reception in the area was duplicated by the signal from CBU-2-FM Vancouver.

In November, CBU 690 reduced its full-time power from 50,000 to 25,000 watts. A fire destroyed part of the station’s transmitting facilities in 2017 and it was decided repairs would have been too costly.

The story continues elsewhere…
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.

Contact this station