Ethnic Channels Group Limited

Mandarin Children’s TV

On February 5th 2013, the CRTC approved an application by Ethnic Channels Group Limited for a broadcasting licence to operate a national niche third-language ethnic specialty Category B service to be named  Mandarin Children’s TV. The Commission also approved the applicant’s request for authorization to broadcast up to six minutes per hour of local advertising.

The Commission noted that Mandarin Children’s TV would devote at least 90% of its program schedule to programming in the Mandarin language. In accordance with Broadcasting Public Notice 2005-104, the remainder of the program schedule (up to 10%) could be in one or both official languages. The Commission encouraged the applicant to ensure that all such programming served to promote Canada’s linguistic duality.

Written by Pip Wedge – February, 2013

Ownership: Ethnic Channels Group Limited

Start Year: 2013