Lloyd E. Moffat (1909-1964)
Pioneer - Member of CAB Hall of Fame
Moffat, Lloyd E. (1909-1964)
Founder of Moffat Communications, Lloyd Moffat began his career in broadcasting with the purchase in 1931 of the facilities of (amateur) station 10-BI in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, later to become commercial station CKBI.
Two years after selling his interest in CKBI in 1946 to Ed Rawlinson, Lloyd Moffat obtained a licence for a new station in Winnipeg, for which he used the call letters of venerable station CKY, once owned by Manitoba Government Telephones, which was sold in 1948 to the CBC and became CBW.
This heralded the beginning of Moffat Communications Limited which, in the fifteen years that followed, marked a period of growth for the Company. At the time of his unexpected death in 1964, Moffat Communications was operating 8 radio stations in western Canada, TV stations in Winnipeg and Regina, and a cable TV company in Winnipeg.
Lloyd Moffat was a founding director of the CTV Television Network and served as a Director of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters.
In 1982, Lloyd Moffat was inducted into the CAB Broadcast Hall of Fame.