Harry G. Dekker (1922-2004)
Pioneer - Member of CAB Hall of Fame
Dekker, Harry G. (1922-2004)
Harry G. Dekker entered radio in 1940 as an announcer at CFQC, Saskatoon. His career was abruptly interrupted by WW II when he served in the RCAF. However, on discharge, Harry returned to CFQC, this time as Program Director. In 1954, he was appointed station manager of CJNB North Battleford, Saskatchewan, taking with him the program he and his wife Christine Wiebe had introduced on CFQC - The Double Decker Breakfast Club.
CJNB prospered and grew - undergoing two changes in frequency and power increases, and the construction of new studios and offices. The Rawlinson family bought CJNB in 1963, and a second station, CJNS was built in 1977 to serve Meadow Lake. In 1989, Gordon Rawlinson invited the Dekker Family to become owner/partners of the two stations, and together they formed North- western Radio Partnership.
In 2001, Harry G. Dekker, enjoying semi-retirement, was inducted into the CAB Broadcast Hall of Fame.
Harry Dekker died in March 2004, age 81.
Written by J. Lyman Potts - October, 2001