CJSO-FM, 101.7 FM, Sorel
Radio Diffusion Sorel Tracy Inc.
Radio Diffusion Sorel Tracy Inc.
Radio Richelieu Ltee.
A licence was issued to Henri Gendron and Arthur Prevost of Sorel for a 250 watt station.
CJSO 1400 signed on the air with 100 watts of power on June 16. The station was owned by Radio Richelieu Ltee. Sudios were at 72 du Roi. The transmitter was located along National Highway, Grande Rivieres. The “SO” in the call sign: Sorel.
Power increased to 250 watts.
G. Boulay was manager.
CJSO applied for permission to change frequency from 1400 to 1060 kHz. Power would remain 250 watts. The CBC board recommended denial of the proposal because of the high night time limitation and the possibility of heterodyne interference from receivers tuned to other stations.
CJSO served Sorel, Berthierville, Joliette and St. Hyacinthe.
CJSO received approval to change frequency from 1400 to 1320 kHz and to increase power from 250 to 1,000 watts.
CJSO expected to be operating at a thousand watts in January, 1950.
The station was owned by Radio Richelieu Ltd. and studios were at 72 rue du roi, Sorel.
CJSO moved to 1320 kHz and increased power to 1,000 watts.
In the past, the CBC Board approved the formation of a second French radio network - the French Radio Association Ltd. The six stations in the network were now (late 1950) broadcasting commercials for a dozen national sponsors. The stations were CKVL Verdun, CKCV Quebec, CHLT Sherbrooke, CHEF Granby, CJSO Sorel and CHLN Trois-Rivieres. There were also two supplementary stations - CHRL Roberval and CHGB La Pocatiere. The network signed its first commercial contract in October of 1948. In 1949, the group broadcast 44 hours of commercial programming and 132 1/2 hours of sustaining programs.
A request by CJSO to operate a permanent studio in Joliette was approved by the CBC Board. The recommendation would be subject to review if ever a radio station was to be licensed to operate in Joliette.
CJSO received approval to operate a 250 watt emergency transmitter.
Wilfred Mondoux left CJSO to become manager of the new CFDA Victoriaville.
CJSO became a C.A.B. member.
Radio Richelieu Ltee. ownership: Henri Olivier 96.0%, Marcel Piche 2.0% and Arthur Villeneuve 2.0%. CJSO was affiliated with the French Radio Association. J. A. Villeneuve was president of the company and Maurice Boulianne was CJSO's manager.
CJLM Joliette signed on the air on May 8. It was owned by Radio-Richelieu Ltee and linked with sister station CJSO during certain times of the day. Maurice Boulianne was manager of both stations.
Ad: If you want to kill two birds with one stone buy CJSO Sorel 1000 watts 1320 kc and CJLM Joliette 1000 watts 1350 kc. Two stations and two markets served locally in one combined rate card.
By this time, CJSO 1320 was operating with 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night.
Henri Olivier was president of Radio-Richelieu Ltee and Maurice Boulianne was manager of CJSO.
On July 25, Radio Richelieu Ltee was authorized to change CJSO’s radiation pattern on 1320 kHz with 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night (separate patterns for day and night).
On December 7, Franklin Delaney was given approval to purchase Radio-Richelieu Ltee. One share each would be held by Genevieve Delaney and Henri Olivier to qualify them as directors. The corporate name was changed to Radio Joliette Ltee.
On April 21, CJSO was given approval to move its studios and offices from 72 Du Roi Street to 59A Du Prince Street.
On December 21, approval was granted for the transfer of shares in Radio Richelieu Ltee from the present shareholders to Radio Inter-Cite Inc., with Franklin Delaney, Gerard Lemieux, Clement Trudel, Jean Belair and Mrs. G. Delaney each holding one share to qualify them as directors. There was no change of control with this transaction.
At the time of the provincial election in 1973, the station was visited by then Prime Minister Robert Bourassa and his attaché Robert Chapdelaine. The visitors were received by CJSO Director-General Pierre Vachon, Sales Director Maurice Bérubé, News and Sports Director Maurice Brouillard and program host Jacques Papin.
The corporate name changed from Radio Inter-Cite Inc. to Radio Inter-Cite (1978) Inc.
On December 19, Pierre Vachon on behalf of a company to be incorporated (would be known as Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltée) received permission to acquire CJSO from Radio Inter-Cite (1978) Inc.
On August 11, approval was given for the issuance of 6,125 common and 18,325 preferred shares from the capital stock of Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltee to Royal Gouin. As a result, Pierre Vachon who had effective control with 51% would now hold 41%. Also approved: the transfer of five common shares from existing shareholders to five new shareholders (1 share each).
On January 20, the CRTC approved the application for a licence for a French-language FM radio station at Sorel on the frequency 101.7 MHz, channel 269, with an effective radiated power of 3,000 watts. The licence would expire September 30, 1990. Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltée already operated CJSO-AM in Sorel and submitted this application to operate an independent station. According to the applicant, the replacement of its AM station with an FM station would improve the reception quality of its local service and enable it to overcome the technical problems it had encountered for a number of years. Consistent with the applicant's proposal, this approval was conditional upon the surrender of its licence to operate radio station CJSO. The Commission noted that the station would be operated in the "Group I" music format, with a vocal-to-instrumental ratio of 80/20, and would broadcast at least 65% French language vocal music. The applicant proposed to devote 12% of its weekly broadcast time to programs in the foreground format. The programs would be locally produced and consist among other things of public affairs and music (Category 5 - Music - general). The news broadcast would have a 30% local or regional content. The applicant would allocate two full-time journalists, one part-time journalist and two stringers to its news service.
CJSO left the air on December 10.
Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltee declared bankruptcy on December 18.
CJSO resumed broadcasting early in the year (10,000 watts day / 5,000 watts night). Louis Delisle was general manager.
Louis Langevin, trustee for Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltee was authorized to operate CJSO on a temporary basis on July 21, 1988.
Radio Diffusion Sorel-Tracy Inc. (Pierre Robert) purchased CJSO from Louis Langevin, trustee for Radio Richelieu (1979) Ltée.
CJSO moved to the FM dial in September.
Claude St-Germain received approval to acquire CJSO-FM.
On December 21, approval was granted for the transfer of Radio Diffusion Sorel-Tracy inc. from 9010-0181 Québec inc., a corporation wholly owned and controlled by Claude St-Germain, to 9171-8130 Québec inc., a corporation controlled by its three shareholders.
The CRTC approved the change to the ownership and effective control of Radio Diffusion Sorel-Tracy inc. from a control exercised by Jean-Marc Belzile, Suzanne Bouchard and Nelson Sergerie to a control exercised by Jean-Marc Belzile, Suzanne Bouchard and Alexandre Belzile. Radio Diffusion Sorel-Tracy inc. was licensee of CJSO-FM.
In August, the CRTC renewed CJSO-FM's licence for a two-year period. Given this was the third consecutive renewal the station was in non-compliance surrounding its French-language vocal music requirement, the Commission ordered CJSO to air a non-compliance announcement three times daily for five consecutive days.