CFVP-SW

CFVP-SW, Calgary

Bell Media Inc.

StationYearFreq.PowerOwner/Info
CFVP-SW
1931
6030
100
The Voice of the Prairies Ltd.
1931

CFVP shortwave signed on the air to rebroadcast the programs of CFCN-AM. The “VP” in the call sign represented the corporate owner, The Voice of the Prairies Ltd. The signal expanded CFCN’s coverage area across the prairies and into the north. The original call sign was VE9CA. The station broadcast on a frequency of 6030 kHz with a power of 100 watts. The transmitter was located at Strathmore (with CFCN).

1981

Permission was received to move the transmitter site for CFCN/CFVP, seven miles east of Calgary, at Midnapore.

For the record, CFVP operated at 6,030 kHz in the 49 metre band. Power was 100 watts.

The story continues elsewhere...
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the
CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.
CTA Donation

We rely on grants and donations from industry

View our sponsors
CTA Personalities

Learn more about the personalities involved in Canada's broadcasting history.

Learn more