CFCX-SW

CFCX-SW, Montréal

StationYearFreq.PowerOwner/Info
CFCX
1963
6005
500
Canadian Marconi Co.
CFCX
1936
6005
4,000
Canadian Marconi Co.
VE9DR
1930
6005
4,000
Canadian Marconi Co.
1930

VE9DR began broadcasting on December 25, relaying the programs of CFCF-AM, using a frequency of 6005 kHz and power of 4,000 watts. A Marconi transmitter was used from a site located at Drummondville. CFCF was Canada’s first radio station and was owned by Canadian Marconi Co.

1932

The VE9DR transmitter was moved from Drummondville to Montreal.

1936

VE9DR became CFCX.

1963

The CFCX transmitter was moved to Kahnawake and power was reduced to 500 watts. CFCF-AM had operated from this location since 1956.

1991

CFCF-AM became CIQC. CFCX continued to simulcast CIQC.

1990's

At some point, CFCX stopped simulcasting CIQC and began carrying a feed from CKOI-FM.

1999

The CFCX transmitter was old and there was no interest in repairing or replacing it, so CFCX was taken out of service. This likely happened when preparations were being made to set up the CINW 940 and CINF 690 towers at the Kahnawake transmitter site (CINW 940 replaced CIQC 600).

The story continues elsewhere...
Effective September 1st 2019, we will only be adding new material to these station histories in exceptional circumstances. Our intent to chronicle the early days of these radio and television stations has been achieved, and many new sources and technologies, from the
CRTC website to Wikipedia, and others, are now regularly providing new information in these areas.
CTA Donation

We rely on grants and donations from industry

View our sponsors
CTA Personalities

Learn more about the personalities involved in Canada's broadcasting history.

Learn more